HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 5:57 AM

Flights From Denver to???

At one time in recent years there was a proposal to offer limited commercial air service from the Centennial airport to a small number of cities. Unfortunately, as we all know that never happened.

If that scheduled daily service were to become a reality, to what top 5 cities would you like to see direct non-stop service from Centennial (KAPA)?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 7:10 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Nowhere. I doubt KAPA could sustain any traffic against DIA and Colorado Springs.

But, for fun: LAX, Chicago, Houston, Dallas Love, San Fran.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 7:15 AM
of Gnomeregan

Pueblo of course.. you don't really need any other cities.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 12:16 PM
Stay Thirsty.

DIA

No really. If the security line was quick and I could make transfers work, definitely. If I lived in South Denver like Castle Pines, Castle Rock or Lone Tree why not? They have small hoppers like that for multiple airport cities like NYC-Newark, LAX-Orange County, SF-Oakland, etc.

Others, hub airports. Natural choice.

Chicago O'hare
Dallas
Atlanta
New York JFK

etc etc etc

Centennial has about a 5% chance of EVER being utilized for commercial service. DIA is just too big and Denver is too small a metro area.

Wait for Denver's Metro to top 5 million. Then we'll talk.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 12:30 PM
I like this much better

Diego Garcia.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 1:40 PM

Centennial Airport will never compete with DIA, don't get me wrong. But based on the fact that DIA is running passenger numbers above what it was even built to handle, would it not make sense to utilize Centennial as a reliever airport?

I think that limited commercial air services would attract folks, especially business travelers from El Paso, Douglas, and Arapahoe counties. Looking at the data, it would seem that 2-3 daily flights to the following cities would make sense given the current demand for these routs at DIA.
  1. Dallas
  2. Chicago
  3. L.A.
  4. Phoenix
  5. Atlanta

Also, using smaller regional jets would be the key. I can't see that Southwest would ever want to fly 737's into KAPA, but I can envision Delta or United Express flying the new Embraer E-Jets (170 or 175).

Granted, any introduction of commercial air service creates some issues with overall infrastructure. However, I suspect that the long-term economic benefits of such a project would quickly pay off.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 1:44 PM

my thought would be to limit the size of the jets used (like this E-Jet), as well as limit the # of slots and require flights to be operated during strict schedules.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 3:48 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCentennial View Post
Centennial Airport will never compete with DIA, don't get me wrong. But based on the fact that DIA is running passenger numbers above what it was even built to handle, would it not make sense to utilize Centennial as a reliever airport?
DIA is designed to handle over one hundred million passengers per year with appropriate expansions. When the airport conceived it was designed to grow with demand which you are seeing now. DIA also has the financing ability in place for expansions, which would be an issue for Centennial.

Quote:
Granted, any introduction of commercial air service creates some issues with overall infrastructure. However, I suspect that the long-term economic benefits of such a project would quickly pay off.
Such as constructing a passenger terminal, baggage handling, security infrastructure, parking, etc? That's the main issue with bringing commercial aviation to a general aviation airport, you're changing the very nature of the facility. You also have to add in that impact that paying for retooling the airport will have landing fees, etc. Centennial would certainly become a far more expensive place to fly in and out of.

I suspect that the owners of the private airplanes that utilize Centennial really want to keep the convenience and exclusivity that Centennial provides. I don't think that the limited time savings that you'd get from not having to travel to DIA offsets the cost of losing the convenience.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Last edited by wong21fr; Dec 27, 2010 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 4:54 AM
mmmm... infillicious!

I would be opposed to commercial flights at Centennial.

As a region, we all benefit from the strongest DIA we can achieve.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West