HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 9:12 PM

Gordon Bell field

Can i just say for the record that I believe that the obstacle to acquiring the Midway Chrysler site is not Canada Post, but the Province/WSD. People have to stop blaming Canada Post. They bought the land fair and square, and will sell it for same.

There. Now I've said it. I have no idea whether or not the site is suitable, but either way take it up with the Province.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 10:58 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

For all I know, Gordon Bell had their chance, but they were already late in the game.

It's too bad for them. I have nothing against that school, and I would love for them to have big green space that they need. I'd actually blame the guy who had the idea of building a school without greenspace back in the 60's.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 3:04 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
For all I know, Gordon Bell had their chance, but they were already late in the game.

It's too bad for them. I have nothing against that school, and I would love for them to have big green space that they need. I'd actually blame the guy who had the idea of building a school without greenspace back in the 60's.
I agree.. you can't come late to the game and expect that those who have well laid plans and the ownership papers to walk away, just because you think they should.

This is a good lesson for all the kids out there ... lay your plans in advance and jump when opportunity opens up. Developable land along Portage doesn't pop up everyday, and won't last long.

If the school seriously wants a field to play sports on, I'd suggest planning a combined purchase with the UofW of some nearby lots which are occupied by buildings in disrepair. It might not be the most convienent option, but creating a sports field within inner city, where one doesn't currently exsist is a daunting task.

Last edited by newflyer; May 23, 2009 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 4:06 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the wsd1 just does not care that school is falling apart take a drive by it they refuses to spend the capital to keep the buildings properly mintained witch is why the wsd1 has such a balooning budget because they have to spend crazy amounts of money to fix buildings the should not need to be fixed if they were properly looked after

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 5:31 AM

As my grade 9 Math teacher used to say "Pay me now or Pay me later" (this was in regards to doing homework, because it was mandatory in that class that all mistakes and any missed questions had to be redone, or there would be docked marks on your next test.

The point was you are going to end up doing the work anyways so you might as well do it right from the start. Take the time or in this case the money and effort and do it right, with ongoing preventative maintenance and then you won't have ballooning rejuvitation projects that get out of hand.

later tends to be a much more expensive proposition

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 12:38 PM

they had a grass field one day a long time ago, it has been paved over for bball court and such. i agree they had their time long ago to get the midway building, i guess they didn't think about it until it was torn down. why not aquire 6-10 houses fronting broadway and going back and create a field? I agree partenering with uofw makes the most sense.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan