HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 4:49 AM
Category Five

Good minor to complement a structural engineering degree?

So I just got informed that my petition to take two classes without having passed one of the prerequisites just got denied. Those two classes are prerequisites to another two classes. Therefore I will have to take 4 SE classes in my 5th year.

I'm not too bummed about it as it gives me a chance to pick up a minor and get more experience (many school projects, internships). Not to mention the fun side that comes with being a college student. I'm hoping that picking up a minor + more experience will help me get a job right out of college next year, compared to struggling to get a job now in a recession without a minor and less experience.

Right now I'm leaning towards Urban Studies and Planning. I'm not sure if it would help me get a job as an SE and if the minor would get me a good non-SE job as a backup plan. Although USP could be a nice change of pace from engineering.

I'm more looking for a compliment to my SE degree while being a good backup option.

Thanks!

Last edited by HurricaneHugo; Dec 11, 2008 at 7:56 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post
So I just got informed that my petition to take two classes without having passed one of the prerequisites just got denied. Those two classes are prerequisites to another two classes. Therefore I will have to take 4 SE classes in my 5th year.

I'm not too bummed about it as it gives me a chance to pick up a minor and get more experience (many school projects, internships). Not to mention the fun side that comes with being a college student. I'm hoping that picking up a minor + more experience will help me get a job right out of college next year, compared to struggling to get a job now in a recession without a minor and less experience.

Right now I'm leaning towards Urban Studies and Planning. I'm not sure if it would help me get a job as an SE and if the minor would get me a good non-SE job as a backup plan. Although USP could be a nice change of pace from engineering.

I'm more looking for a compliment to my SE degree while being a good backup option.

Thanks!
Construction Management.

Engineers need more common sense practical knowledge of things like estimating costs, construction means and methods, scheduling, and contracts. Far too often I see structural drawings where the engineer has designed rebar to be four different numbered bars in one run of rebar along the bottom of a beam because that's what the equations said to do, without ever realizing it costs next to nothing in materials to just up it to the critical size the whole length. Instead we get the theoretically correct section for the beam, but a beam that costs four times as much in labor to assemble.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 10:31 AM
Category Five

That sounds good...but...UCSD doesn't have it.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 2:35 PM

Hmmm. Given that, I took a look at that Urban Planning coursework. Unbelieveable bunch of trash in there. Environmental Racism? Come on.

I guess if you're going to pursue the Urban Planning minor, I'd suggest trying to stay with some classes that are a bit more tangible that you can actually learn something useful from.

Otherwise, if you're interested more in designing buildings than civil projects, I think I'd actually suggest minoring in Math. Can't really get enough math under your belt if you're going to be doing structures.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 5:26 PM
BANNED

Construction management is probably the best option as mentioned above, but if you can't take it than think about a buisiness minor.

You will design for a while out of college, but once you get a PE you will need to have business knowledge in both construction and handling jobs. Each project is equally about business as much as design.

I have no skills when it comes to money, interest rates, etc. Being able to provide a good engineering design is one thing, but to make money you got to turn from a design engineer to the PE that handles the clients, the proposals, and the budget of the project. This takes business skills.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 11:06 PM
Category Five

I forgot about this thread...

Anyways, UCSD doesn't have a business minor (we will within the next 2 years).

The two closest are managment science and economics...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

umm, English?

I'd be nice to have an engineer who can properly write or communicate their ideas / comments for once.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 8:29 AM
Category Five

UCSD doesn't offer a business minor...

They do offer "Management Science" and "Economics."

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 8:37 AM
Here we stAy

Looks like you chose the wrong school. Up here in SLO we have both CM and Business.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 6:15 AM

What about sociology?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 10:33 PM
Construction Manager

Even if it isn't offered as a minor, can't you just take some courses in construction management and/or business? Or are those courses not offered to you?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 9:11 PM
Flames Suck

Take something light to counterbalance the engineering course load. I took some language and geography courses.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 9:56 AM
Category Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtheengineer View Post
Take something light to counterbalance the engineering course load. I took some language and geography courses.
yea but i want something to compliment my degree and be a good backup option

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 6:47 PM

underwater basket weaving....

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 9:02 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Screw the classes and get an unpaid internship. Nobody in the real world gives a flop about college minors, but actual experience in an actual office is GOLD.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 7:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Screw the classes and get an unpaid internship. Nobody in the real world gives a flop about college minors, but actual experience in an actual office is GOLD.
If one gets a engineering degree they are going to find a job no matter what. Minors or even internships don't matter. I was all worried because I only interned at an architecture firm, and didn't have any engineering internships like people in my graduating class did. I had offers left and right when I graduated anyways, and they didn't even look at my transcripts or even ask to see my diploma.

Now I see what these interns do anyways. We have some in the summer. I tell them to go get me a starbucks and after they do that print me some shit out. No, I really do try to teach them stuff, but internships would matter more for people in majors that are more competitive to get a job.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering