HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 5:22 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

1375 Clyde Ave (Dymon Storage) | 22m + 9m | 5fl + 1fl | U/C

Dymon Storage Ottawa is proposing to construct a five (5) storey Dymon Storage facility along Clyde Avenue and a single-storey, 383 square metre restaurant with drive-through along Baseline Road. The existing commercial building at the south end of the site is proposed to be renovated and expanded. A total of 137 outdoor, surface parking spaces have been provided. Landscaped areas are provided along major roadway frontages and within the internal parking areas.

The sit-down, full service restaurant will be oriented to the Baseline Road frontage with one-way access directly from Baseline Road. The drive-through associated with the restaurant has been located on the south side of the building, away from the street.

The self-storage building will have a reception area fronting on the street. Access to the interior parking area will occur via a one-way access from Clyde Avenue. The self-storage building and the existing retail building will be separated by surface parking.

The existing single-storey retail building will be expanded eastward into the current ‘Value Village’ loading area. The portion of the existing building fronting on Clyde Avenue will be maintained in terms of location, but enhanced with streetscaping improvements.

Development application:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__AOFEAY

Streetview:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.36067...2!8i6656?hl=en

Site:

Renderings:

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 7:30 PM
Living With My Mother

How many more can this city sustain?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 7:49 PM

I never understood how there could be so many people with so much junk that they require so many storage facilities!?!?!?!?!?! Mind-boggling...

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
I never understood how there could be so many people with so much junk that they require so many storage facilities!?!?!?!?!?! Mind-boggling...
But one day we may need to retrieve that crap we can't be bothered to keep in our house and the garage is full of other crap so lets rent a climate controlled place to store the crap we won't look at.

That restaurant looks like a throwaway use.

Not sure if all Dymon's have this but you can rent office space for meetings at their properties.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:36 PM

Dymon and Shoppers should pair up for land acquisition / bldg concept

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Dymon and Shoppers should pair up for land acquisition / bldg concept
Add a shawarma place and you've got the Ottawa retail market covered off.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:43 AM

I would love to see some appropriately-designed facilities like this closer to downtown. The existing ones are hard to access for the carless.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:59 AM

Trying to think of all the "sit down, full service" restaurants that would also have a drive-thru. St Hubert? Swiss Chalet?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 3:40 AM

soooooo....where did people store there things before a Dymon Mega Storage popped up on every corner?! Is this because the Baby Boomers are downsizing en masse?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
soooooo....where did people store there things before a Dymon Mega Storage popped up on every corner?! Is this because the Baby Boomers are downsizing en masse?
and millennials have taken all the useable basement and garage space shacking with their parents removing all storage possibilities!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 12:36 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I would love to see some appropriately-designed facilities like this closer to downtown. The existing ones are hard to access for the carless.
As a regular practice I seek out your comments. But this one has left me scratching my head.

This is a bulk storage facility. Just how would the carless transport their flotsam and jestsom from their places of residence to one closer to downtown?

Given real-estate and property tax costs wouldn't a storage facility, say at the old Kent bowling lanes, have to charge higher monthly fees than one at Carling and the Queensway?

Would the carless be willing to pay that monthly premium for stuff they've essentially removed from their life, just to be within walking distance?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
As a regular practice I seek out your comments. But this one has left me scratching my head.

This is a bulk storage facility. Just how would the carless transport their flotsam and jestsom from their places of residence to one closer to downtown?

Given real-estate and property tax costs wouldn't a storage facility, say at the old Kent bowling lanes, have to charge higher monthly fees than one at Carling and the Queensway?

Would the carless be willing to pay that monthly premium for stuff they've essentially removed from their life, just to be within walking distance?
^^ Just another example of suburbanism at it's finest. Right Uhuniau?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
┳┻|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻| _
┻┳| •.•) A lot of self-storage is actually offsite small-business warehousing.
┳┻|⊂ノ
┻┳|

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:00 PM

Quote:

You're right. There is no way for a person to temporarily gain access to a vehicle by borrowing, renting or car-sharing one. You either have a car or you do not. It's entirely binary.

Quote:
Yes. And? The issue of location and cost, while related, are still two separate things.

Not sure if it's still the case, but at one point Dymon had plans for a place just off the Queensway downtown.

Quote:
No idea, but that might be because that's not what I'm thinking of at all.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 3:08 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
You're right. There is no way for a person to temporarily gain access to a vehicle by borrowing, renting or car-sharing one. You either have a car or you do not. It's entirely binary.
So this is where I scratch my head:

1) You advocate for bulk storage within walking distance of downtown.

2) I ask how people will move their junk to that storage facility without an automobile.

3) You respond by suggesting that they can borrow one from someone else.

So if they can borrow an automobile from someone else what's the benefit of having a storage facility that's within a walkable distance of their home? If they can borrow a car why not take it an extra three kilometres to the one at carling or the one at Coventry?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 10:38 PM

Wink

Quote:

2) I ask how people will move their junk to that storage facility without an automobile.

So if they can borrow an automobile from someone else what's the benefit of having a storage facility that's within a walkable distance of their home? If they can borrow a car why not take it an extra three kilometres to the one at carling or the one at Coventry?
You're absolutely right. A storage facility located in the 'downtown' area for the 'carless' makes no sense whatsoever. Will someone continue to try to 'spin' this idea as doable on this forum?....ya...lol.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:

Because you don't need a car to retrieve one file, or one small item, from your offsite storage, even if it might be good to be automotive, if only temporarily, to move the stuff in there in the first place.

Ottawa seriously lacks in small-business space. There are not enough small office or retail spaces, not enough small warehouse spaces (especially in areas that aren't distant office "parks"), and not enough old spaces of those types. (Yes, we are gaining new retail space in a lot of new buildings, but unless you're a chain pharmacy or a chain restaurant, they are not suitable for small, independent business.)

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen4829 View Post
You're absolutely right. A storage facility located in the 'downtown' area for the 'carless' makes no sense whatsoever. Will someone continue to try to 'spin' this idea as doable on this forum?....ya...lol.
Helpful hint: just because the idea doesn't make sense *for you* doesn't mean it doesn't make sense for everyone.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 1:46 AM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Because you don't need a car to retrieve one file, or one small item, from your offsite storage, even if it might be good to be automotive, if only temporarily, to move the stuff in there in the first place.
So it is like a basement where you might keep things in active storage? Stuff that you may need to reference once every six months. Like the turkey roaster. Not Aunt Bea's collection of tartan-clad teddy bears that you inherited last year and can't bare to dump at the nearest Orange Lodge.

Yep, I think I've got it now.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 3:45 AM

Quote:
So it is like a basement where you might keep things in active storage? Stuff that you may need to reference once every six months. Like the turkey roaster. Not Aunt Bea's collection of tartan-clad teddy bears that you inherited last year and can't bare to dump at the nearest Orange Lodge.

Yep, I think I've got it now.
Or like semi-active files, library overflow, etc., etc.

Stuff that can't be discarded, but is not so valuable as to take up more-expensive office room designed for humans.

(Yes, we already digitized metric crap-tons of paper.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa