HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Claridge Icon in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 2:57 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Minto Beechwood II [88 Beechwood Ave] | 30m | 9f | U/C

Minto purchases Lauzon Properties

New Edinburgh News
February 2020

The properties on Beechwood Avenue’s south side once owned by the Lauzon family have been purchased by Minto and are slated for demolition and redevelopment in the near term. While the sale took place several months ago and has been widely known among those close to the Beechwood development scene, it was only recently confirmed to the NEN by Minto High Rise Development Manager Kevin Harper.

The specific properties purchased by Minto include 78–90 Beechwood Ave. and 77–93 Barrette St. The Quickie block, 96 Beechwood Ave. (the former Arturo’s/El Meson Restaurant) and Monson’s Cleaners are not part of the Minto package, and remain separately owned. There are as yet few details confirmed about Minto’s redevelopment of the site, but the broad plan entails a midrise, mixed-use building with street-front retail stores and residential units above. No decision has yet been taken on whether the residential portion will be rental or condominium or a combination of both.

Kevin reports that “we have an architect in place and are in the early stages of visioning the project internally. We will be reaching out to the community associations and local councillors in the near term to discuss the vision, the next steps and the timing.” Minto actually began preliminary consultations with some community members several months ago when the sale transaction took place. A group of representatives from the surrounding communities, including New Edinburgh, joined forces about a year ago to keep track of ongoing and prospective developments on Beechwood, and to be “in on the ground” with comments and suggestions at an early stage in the planning process. The group has had a number of meetings with Kevin Harper to discuss the broad lines of a plan for the site, and to ensure that community interests are front and centre from the outset. Once the process is fully launched, Minto’s plan is to engage the wider community in discussions on project design and details. With St. Charles Market rapidly taking shape and the new Minto project on the horizon, Beechwood’s south side is shaping up to be the development hot spot in 2020. –JH

http://www.newedinburgh.ca/wp-conten...bruary-WEB.pdf

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 2:59 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 5:10 AM

The street front retail at Minto Beechwood still has a lot empty spots. Hopefully they have better luck with this new building.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 6:45 AM

"Beechwood’s south side"... didn't they used to call that Vanier I guess I live in South Beechwood now. Happy to finally see this land sold. Hoping they can provide spaces for some smaller tenants at reasonable rent, rather that the 10's of thousands of square feet vacant at both Minto and the Kavanaugh down the street.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
The street front retail at Minto Beechwood still has a lot empty spots. Hopefully they have better luck with this new building.
Waiting for LCBO to move in, according to neighbourhood rumours ...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptronic View Post
"Beechwood’s south side"... didn't they used to call that Vanier I guess I live in South Beechwood now. Happy to finally see this land sold. Hoping they can provide spaces for some smaller tenants at reasonable rent, rather that the 10's of thousands of square feet vacant at both Minto and the Kavanaugh down the street.
Lindenlea Annex ...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 11:27 AM

Vanier North

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 12:51 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Also known as South Rockcliffe

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 11:44 PM

Solid Block?

I wish they could just do the whole block. We are going to end up looking at more blank walls on Beechwood (must like the Minto site on Beechwood which was blocked by the pharmacy (Historic movie theatre!), leaving an eyesore as you cross the St. Patrick bridge.

Also, I am surprised anyone wants to invest on Beechwood given that storefronts at Minto and the Kavanagh are still vacant. I thought that was what was holding the Claridge development on the North side of the street back.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 3:57 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1 View Post
I wish they could just do the whole block. We are going to end up looking at more blank walls on Beechwood (must like the Minto site on Beechwood which was blocked by the pharmacy (Historic movie theatre!), leaving an eyesore as you cross the St. Patrick bridge.

Also, I am surprised anyone wants to invest on Beechwood given that storefronts at Minto and the Kavanagh are still vacant. I thought that was what was holding the Claridge development on the North side of the street back.
Blocked? Why would the owner of the pharmacy and pub sell-out to Minto when he's got a prime parcel of land and two successful businesses on his hands?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 7:16 AM

And now 1 Beechwood is up for sale....

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...tawa-beechwood

Last edited by poptronic; Feb 17, 2020 at 4:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 2:24 AM

1 Beechwood looks like an incredible development opportunity for a dramatic and incredibly valuable landmark development. Went through the area today and saw lots of interesting small scale main street and side street development going on, creating a cool mix with a lot of potential.
I wonder who will bite?

Last edited by gjhall; Feb 18, 2020 at 2:25 AM. Reason: Specifying re: 1 Beechwood

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 3:39 PM
ハルウララ

There's a ton of potential in the neighbourhood for some quality, dense developments. Really interested to see what can come of 1 Beechwood and 78-90 Beechwood.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 4:32 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
1 Beechwood looks like an incredible development opportunity for a dramatic and incredibly valuable landmark development.
Or a 22-27 storey beige building with teal panels?!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 11:50 PM

Fortunately, Claridge already has an undeveloped property down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
I know you're joking, but I'm not! Honestly, it's a deep site, abutting other dense uses. If I was Sam Mizrahi I'd be looking at this site very closely!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
I know you're joking, but I'm not! Honestly, it's a deep site, abutting other dense uses. If I was Sam Mizrahi I'd be looking at this site very closely!
There is a protected view plane from "Poet's Hill" at Beechwood Cemetery to Parliament Hill downtown. As such, there is an eight-storey max height at Beechwood/Chricton. That kind of height can't support the $13.5M asking price.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HrDm180 View Post
There is a protected view plane from "Poet's Hill" at Beechwood Cemetery to Parliament Hill downtown. As such, there is an eight-storey max height at Beechwood/Chricton. That kind of height can't support the $13.5M asking price.
Where did you hear that? I just skimmed over 120 pages of the NCC's View Protection document and I can not find any planes extending anywhere near that far from Parliament.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 12:13 AM

Ahh never mind! They added two more the year after the plan documents were produced according to this article!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...wers-1.3939415
'Because these views were included in the city's official plan in the late 1990s, they are legally protected. In 2008, the city added two more protected views from Beechwood Cemetery: one at the Tommy Douglas memorial, and another at Poet's Hill.'

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 4:07 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

This is the Parliament Hill viewshed from the Tommy Douglas Memorial/Poet’s Hill in the Beechwood Cemetery. I've coloured the entire subject block red, and you can see that it falls almost entirely outside the viewshed.

https://app06.ottawa.ca/calendar/ott...S-PLA-0216.htm

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa