HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 4:43 AM

Food Banks

Saw a program today on Regina's new Food Bank that will be more like a grocery store where you come in get only the items you need and want and then leave with your groceries. Sounds like a good idea as people will only get the groceries they need and want and not just a huge package some of which will never be eaten. The thing that got me was how normal the discussion was without even touching on how pathetic things are that it's now just considered another store like Leon's or Shoppers Drug Mart.

Our Food Bank industry has become so normal that we don't even question its purpose or even its efficacy. I am NOT questioning the profound concern that the many volunteers and organizers have about the wanting to help our most vulnerable citizens but rather have we let the system go on for too long. In other words, is it time to phase out Food Banks? They provide a needed service but that was a service the gov't once provided but no more. Now it's a crutch for gov'ts as they no longer have to ensure that all Canadians enjoy a decent standard of living without having to resort to charity.

For myself, I think they are starting to become part of the problem of our increasing and entrenched poverty................they let gov't off the hook. I am certainly not saying they be shut down immediately but gradually phased out over, for example, a 3 year period.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 12:59 PM

Donate to your local food bank today. The need is real.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 2:47 PM

Agreed they also help shelters and meal programs with food.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 3:34 PM
I am the law!

Now is not the time to shut down food banks. However, grocery store gift cards outreach programs allow people to buy what they truly need in the same environments as everyone else. Things like laundry detergent which no one thinks about since it isn't essential to life but, everyone uses and isn't cheap.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
For myself, I think they are starting to become part of the problem of our increasing and entrenched poverty................they let gov't off the hook. I am certainly not saying they be shut down immediately but gradually phased out over, for example, a 3 year period.
You present all of the problems with none of the solutions. What's the alternative? Allow people to starve?

Maybe our grocery companies should be mandated to send 10% of profits to food banks across the country.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
You present all of the problems with none of the solutions. What's the alternative? Allow people to starve?

Maybe our grocery companies should be mandated to send 10% of profits to food banks across the country.
Surely people being fed shouldn't rely on charity. The US has food stamps though they still have foodbanks. Really we should give those who can't work enough to house, feed and cloth themselves. As for the rest it's a slipperly slope. Certainly you see some decent cars driving into food banks to pick up food. While many struggle through walking to work rather than accept a handout.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Surely people being fed shouldn't rely on charity. The US has food stamps though they still have foodbanks. Really we should give those who can't work enough to house, feed and cloth themselves. As for the rest it's a slipperly slope. Certainly you see some decent cars driving into food banks to pick up food. While many struggle through walking to work rather than accept a handout.
The argument is that it's patronizing to give people food stamps, we should give them cash and let them spend it how they will. We know this doesn't always work in practice but I believe that is the idea.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 4:49 PM

Quote:
The argument is that it's patronizing to give people food stamps, we should give them cash and let them spend it how they will. We know this doesn't always work in practice but I believe that is the idea.
Yeah the old popcorn and beer problem.

I am not sure how the new program works but back when they were actual food stamps you could just buy them from someone for 80 cents on the dollar anyway. If people want to buy drugs with the money they are given they will do it no matter what. I guess actual food is hard to sell but basically going to the food bank and keeping your CCB money for drugs isn't much different at the end of the day.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 4:52 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
We are in that situation that people with decent jobs and with decent cars can't afford their grocery bill. That's what matters and not screening people for what they have or have not.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
We are in that situation that people with decent jobs and with decent cars can't afford their grocery bill. That's what matters and not screening people for what they have or have not.
That's backwards. If you have a decent car but can't afford nor substitute for a bit less expensive food why should the rest of us subsidize your poor choices? Sell your car and buy your own food. Now most of it is voluntary charity so fair enough but a lot of those people dropping food into the bins can't afford a car and are lugging groceries on foot.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:13 PM

Quote:
I guess actual food is hard to sell but basically going to the food bank and keeping your CCB money for drugs isn't much different at the end of the day.
I am genuinely curious about your obsession with CCB. Did not having kids really mess your perspective that much?

We're a country with below replacement fertility and you think CCB is the problem? Where are all these supposed welfare queens with 5 kids living ghettofabulous off CCB?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Donate to your local food bank today. The need is real.
I have it as one of my automatic monthly donations. Cash is way more useful to a lot of Food Banks. Of course, canned goods can help if you notice you just have stuff sitting there.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:20 PM

Quote:
I don't think he's actually far removed from suggesting that. It's the accelerationist view of the problem. "Maybe if we have more people starving to death, the government will be forced to lower immigration and I can afford real estate."

Quote:
I used to think this was commie thinking. But given the grip that oligarchies have on this country, I'm starting to find ideas like this interesting. Force the grocery sector to fund Food Banks. And force the airlines to fund passenger rail development.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:21 PM
I am the law!

More and more people are living a precarious existing living pay cheque to pay cheque. I think it's ass backwards to expect a taxpayer to sell their car because they are struggling to buy food. IIRC, all federal assistance programs like child tax benefits are cut off at around $65,000 which is barely a living wage in Toronto.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I am genuinely curious about your obsession with CCB. Did not having kids really mess your perspective that much?

We're a country with below replacement fertility and you think CCB is the problem? Where are all these supposed welfare queens with 5 kids living ghettofabulous off CCB?
I don't dispute your assertion that OAS is a bigger, more wastful, and more unfair program.

I would need 5 kids to get CCB at my income level. I am starting late but could give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
More and more people are living a precarious existing living pay cheque to pay cheque. I think it's ass backwards to expect a taxpayer to sell their car because they are struggling to buy food. IIRC, all federal assistance programs like child tax benefits are cut off at around $65,000 which is barely a living wage in Toronto.
Food has gone up 20% so what up to $200 a month for a family of 4. Asking people to cut other expenses rather than begging for food doesn't seem ass backwards. Or they could buy cheaper food. Some of which hasn't gone up at all.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:33 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Food banks should never be a long term solution for anyone since they should either take the necessary steps to support themselves if they're capable or governments should step up with a sufficient safety net for people who can't fully support themselves for various reasons. But food banks are important as interim and edge case options. Sometimes circumstances can take an unexpected downturn for people.

Someone might be getting government support that covers their basic needs but has an emergency that temporarily adds costs such as a friend or family member being ill, injured, or dying and needing to provide care or attend a funeral in a different city. Or someone not on government support can suddenly lose their job, and if they didn't have much money saved up then it can be hard to wait for EI assuming they're even eligible. Or a company can illegally lay someone off without sufficient notice and fighting it would take time, effort and money. Or someone can be a crime victim and have money stolen or extorted. Or can be an abuse victim and miss work because of being too distraught.

I find a big problem in our society is that people lack imagination. Critics will often have this simplistic view and say things like, well if A happen, then just do B! And if X happens then just do Y. And that's all there is too it. And then they judge people for not fitting into this simplified world view. But life is complex and often difficult, and things happen that are hard or impossible to predict. No one is perfect and it's hard to prepare for every eventuality.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:37 PM

Quote:
I would need 5 kids to get CCB at my income level. I am starting late but could give it a try.
And if you did, you'd quickly discover that those CCB payments aren't enough to actually house, feed and clothe five kids. I won't even count education. Which is exactly TFR in this country remains in the tank.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I used to think this was commie thinking. But given the grip that oligarchies have on this country, I'm starting to find ideas like this interesting. Force the grocery sector to fund Food Banks. And force the airlines to fund passenger rail development.
Another idea is to actually tax churches and use that money for the things churches used to provide, ie: help for the less fortunate. Food banks, shelters, and so on.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 7:40 PM

Quote:
That's backwards. If you have a decent car but can't afford nor substitute for a bit less expensive food why should the rest of us subsidize your poor choices? Sell your car and buy your own food. Now most of it is voluntary charity so fair enough but a lot of those people dropping food into the bins can't afford a car and are lugging groceries on foot.
Most people are like a week away from a shelter. One missed paycheque and they’re done. That’s reality for a lot of people.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 7:42 PM

Quote:

Why stop at grocery stores? Maybe landlords too? What about other businesses that make excessive profits?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada