HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 11:47 PM

Gladstone Village [933 Gladstone Ave/1010 Somerset St] | U/C

http://communities.canada.com/ottawa...nd-market.aspx

(check out the link for some good photos of the complex)

Quote:
JAN 25 10 - 6:40 AM -- The Preston Street Business Improvement Area (BIA), representing shops and businesses in Ottawa's Little Italy neighbourhood, says it's encouraged to find political interest for the first time in its long-standing dream to convert a sprawling federal warehouse into a huge year-round market. This, following a meeting with political staff of Tory MP Christian Paradis just four days before he was replaced by Stephen Harper on Tuesday by Rona Ambrose, the new Public Works minister.

The previous Public Works minister, Michael Fortier, never showed interest in ideas to transform the largely unused eyesore into a vibrant, huge, year-round market with food vendors, boutiques and artisans. (Fortier lost the election in 2008.)

"But now they're saying their priorities have changed and they're looking for space outside the core for office buildings," says Lori Mellor, who attended a meeting on Jan. 15 with staff from Paradis' office, along with Tyler Crosby from the office of Ottawa Centre NDP-MP Paul Dewar.

Translation: The feds don't really want this real estate for redevelopment as office space.

"So we'd like to start with an outdoor market this summer to prove the concept because the building itself has issues," Mellor says.

"They don't even know what remedial work is needed to get in shape to occupy before they divest it. And there will probably have to be an environmental study done before the building can be sold or reused by other market vendors."

The proposal first saw public light in this blog in September 2009. If successful, a rejuvenated building known in bureaucrat-talk as the Oak Street Complex may one day be redeveloped into a major tourist attraction, smack on the O-Train route (that currently goes to nowhere) reminiscent of Vancouver's famous Granville Island (that gobbled up tons of federal cash to redo), Montreal's Jean-Talon Market, Pier 20 in Halifax and Toronto's hip Distillery District.

Located west of Preston Street, the Oak Street Complex (a.k.a. Crown Assets Distribution Centre) is a massive property flanked by truck loading bays that extends north from Gladstone Avenue as far as Somerset Street, just west of the Plant Bath. By some estimates, it sits on 13 acres of land and may have as much as 400,000 square feet of indoor space, plus parking for 300 cars.

Previously, the empty federal warehouse used to house surplus federal equipment.

"We were told the building has not be upgraded since the 1960s, so there would have to be upgrades done to meet current standards and codes," Mellor says of the recent meeting with Paradis' staff.

"So, now we need to return with a proposal for a summer outdoor market. I need to hear from farmers and vendors to see if they're interested. We'd like to get back to Public Works by mid-February with a proposal.

"We're considering all models now," Mellor says. "This was always on the back burner, previously is was a no-go, but some we've got an expression of interest."

Paul Dewar (photo, right) says he's "hopeful" of the outcome.

"But these are still early days, as they say. We managed to secure a meeting with the former minister's staff, and when the cabinet shuffle happened we were assured that Paradis' staff would brief the new minister and we'll be following up with minister Ambrose as soon as possible. The encouraging part is we've got the interest of political staff, which is extremely important. For anything to happen it's important to have political will and intent in the minister's office, so I'm encouraged by that," Dewar says.

"If we can get something going, even on a pilot level, that would be a real opportunity to see something happening more long-term. I do credit the previous minister, and minister John Baird who helped secure the meeting. Now the question will be, what are the costs?"

According to an earlier BIA briefing report, a proposed market could one day house permanent full-time food vendors year-round including produce sellers, bakers, deli counters, butchers, artisan cheese shops, pastry and dry goods. A possible "Ontario pavilion" could showcase Ontario products including those from within 100 miles.

In addition to so much sprawling space under one roof, there is plenty of room outside for seasonal vendors including farmers, those selling garden plants, fall pumpkins and Christmas trees. The market could also feature an "antique pavilion," an artists' pavilion and/or workshop, and perhaps a flea market.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 11:52 PM

It's a pretty incredible location for a large piece of land. If the city had vision and money then I'd suggest buying up the land on the other side of the tracks as well and creating an artisan district bordered by Somerset, Gladstone, Breezehill, and the street with no name that parallels Preston (call it Railway?). Call it something quaint like the Yards or Railway District or something. Put in a rapid transit station and some interesting architecture that combines what is already there plus exposes the rapid transit line, and connects the neighbourhoods on each side.

Right now it's a ribbon of industrial between two neighbourhoods on the rise. Much better to convert it into retail/commercial with artistic and ethnic overtones.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 3:07 PM

Eric Darwin on a proposed plan for the site developed by some McGill MA students:
http://westsideaction.wordpress.com/...g-exercise-ii/

Some ideas are really good, others are questionable, and I'm sure some forumers here will decry the lack of height, and others will weep over the greenspace, but I think it's a positive proposal overall. Doubt we'll see anything like this, slightly tinkered it could be a plan for one of Ottawa's best neighbourhoods.

That said, the area clearly could benefit from a better name than "Oak Street PWGSC Warehouse Complex." I don't think the McGoogle students have a hit winner with "Marco Polo." The site as a triangle below Somerset, lending itself to some fun NYCesque abbreviations, as suggested in the comments below the blog post.

What do y'all think?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
the area clearly could benefit from a better name than "Oak Street PWGSC Warehouse Complex." I don't think the McGoogle students have a hit winner with "Marco Polo." The site as a triangle below Somerset, lending itself to some fun NYCesque abbreviations, as suggested in the comments below the blog post.
Given Ottawa's mediocre urban redevelopment track record (to be kind), perhaps the most appropriate NYCesque abbreviation for this area south of Somerset would be "SoSo"?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 12:31 AM

lol!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Given Ottawa's mediocre urban redevelopment track record (to be kind), perhaps the most appropriate NYCesque abbreviation for this area south of Somerset would be "SoSo"?
Hey! I invented* that in like 1994!

* As far as I know.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 1:31 AM
R2-D2's army of death

I think that Eric Darwin's proposal is more interesting than the BIA's proposal, but both are a step in the right direction. I'd love to see this area become a nice indoor, year-round Italian/local market district that will be bordered by (hopefully) Rapid Transit, The Gladstone, and two up-and-coming neighbourhoods.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I think that Eric Darwin's proposal is more interesting than the BIA's proposal, but both are a step in the right direction. I'd love to see this area become a nice indoor, year-round Italian/local market district that will be bordered by (hopefully) Rapid Transit, The Gladstone, and two up-and-coming neighbourhoods.
Except not The Gladstone, as it (sadly) didn't survive.

I love the ideas being floated. I think it's a useful excercise to have something concrete in mind to compare to when the real proposals start being put forward.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Hey! I invented* that in like 1994!

* As far as I know.
you can't tell, but I'm sticking my tongue out at you.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 2:16 AM

Quote:
It's not Eric Darwin's proposal, it's some McGill grad students', he's just posted the plans (and his comments) on his blog.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 2:36 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
It's not Eric Darwin's proposal, it's some McGill grad students', he's just posted the plans (and his comments) on his blog.
Ah, my mistake then.

Still, not a half-bad idea but I would prefer to have seen a bit more urban density on such prime real estate on both sides of the track.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhunter View Post
Except not The Gladstone, as it (sadly) didn't survive.
Let's not pronounce the Gladstone dead just yet. I was at a show there last week, and the place was basically sold out.

The theatre is for sale, but it is continuing to operate at least through the spring. There is a show scheduled for February, and after that it will be available to any theatre production company etc. that wants to rent it out.

What the owner realized too late is that true small-scale commercial theatre is a really tough way to make money (perhaps the fact that basically every small theatre in Canada is a non-profit should have tipped him off). Still, I'm hoping that he finds a workable model going forward (i.e. conversion to a non-profit), as there have been some big successes there in the last couple of years.

The building really only works as a theatre, so hopefully it stays that way. I just find it hard to believe that any non-profit company is going to come up wit the $1.5 millon he is asking for the place.

In the mean time, go see a show there. The Importance of Being Earnest is on in February, and it is one of the truly great comedies in the English language.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 5:06 PM
R2-D2's army of death

I would love to see the Orthodox Church near Wellington and Parkdale converted back into a cinema theatre for the purpose of screening independent films made by locals. There are several festivals devoted to local adn regional films, and if we get some federal involvement into it to showcase Canadian films and documentaries, I think it could end up working rather well and help to cement Wellington Village as Ottawa's Arts district. We'd have the GCTC, Cube Gallery, and a new cinema to promote the film arts.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 5:35 PM

Quote:
I would love to see the Orthodox Church near Wellington and Parkdale converted back into a cinema theatre for the purpose of screening independent films made by locals. There are several festivals devoted to local adn regional films, and if we get some federal involvement into it to showcase Canadian films and documentaries, I think it could end up working rather well and help to cement Wellington Village as Ottawa's Arts district. We'd have the GCTC, Cube Gallery, and a new cinema to promote the film arts.
Agreed. Point of information: it's a pentacostal church in the old Elmdale Theatre, not Orthodox.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 5:48 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Agreed. Point of information: it's a pentacostal church in the old Elmdale Theatre, not Orthodox.
Okay. I just knew it was a church of SOME kind, and seeing Ethiopian signs on the doors, led me to believe they were Orthodox.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Okay. I just knew it was a church of SOME kind, and seeing Ethiopian signs on the doors, led me to believe they were Orthodox.
If they're Ethiopian Orthodox, they might be renting the space (small/young congregations often do this until they can hussle their members for enough alms to build a home of their own), or they might be a Pentacostal congregation.... Pentacostal churches are growing like crazy these days, especially in Africa and Latin America!

....whoah McC, now you're way way way

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 10:27 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
I think the exact same thing every time I pass through the area.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 2:56 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Oak Street complex to be demolished; Community seeks to guide redevelopment

By Steph Willems
Ottawa East News, Sep 18, 2014

The expansive Oak Street warehouse will soon be no more, leaving a large tract of developable land near Gladstone Avenue and the O-Train tracks.

A request for proposals for a demolition project issued by Public Works and Government Services Canada closed on Sept. 9, with the federal department stating the demolition is expected to begin in early October.

The demolition comes as no surprise to nearby residents, as the federal government stated its intent to offload the property last year. Triangular in shape, the building occupied property that sits in the middle of the area covered by the Gladstone Station community design plan.

The north part of the property, which borders Somerset Street, will be retained by the government.

Public works has stated that following the demolition, the property will be backfilled, graded and landscaped pending future development. The likelihood of the Oak Street property becoming available for development is one of the factors that spurred local residents to participate in the community design plan process. That process has been ongoing this year, and is close to completion. A second draft was been created, but no final report has yet been tabled.

"For us in the community, we were expecting this to come," said Michael Powell, Dalhousie Community Association president. "It's nice to see the process (of redeveloping) the biggest chunk of available land in the area is starting to move forward."

The existing CDP documents, tailored from past consultations but not yet finalized, show Plouffe Park extended slightly towards the west, with an O-Train bridge linking Laurel Street to Oak Street.

A triangular park would be located on the site of the Oak Street complex, along with a north-south access road and condo buildings of varying heights located adjacent to the rail line. The low-rise nature of the dead-end streets that branch westward from Preston Street would be preserved.

Overall, Powell said he sees many positives in the CDP as it currently stands, but takes exception to the O-Train bridge. "What we've seen so far is a real drive to have more roads built in that area," said Powell.

"Right now, Oak Street is a quiet, dead-end street, opposite a park. They really shouldn't put a bridge there, as the end result will be more traffic in the area."

Powell said he hopes city planners "recognize that this (future) development is predicated around a walkable, transit-oriented community." The CDP process is expected to wrap up later this fall, following the municipal election in October. It is the community's hope, Powell said, that the CDP is in place before any part of the Oak Street property is put up for sale.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/n...redevelopment/

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 5:25 PM

Those bridges over the O-Train tracks should be built as pedestrian/cyclist bridges instead of full bridges. They're cheaper because of the reduced amount of weight they need to support and they wouldn't create traffic concerns, while enabling local connectivity.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 2:38 PM

As of Yesterday, fencing is installed separating the warehouse from the buildings being kept. A site trailer and equipment is arriving on site at the south end at Gladstone. So demolition will commence soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa