HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 1:28 AM

Sunningdale Road rebuild

I hope this means a full 4 lane primary road and not a 2 lane.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/07/16/de...gdale-overhaul

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 8:18 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
I hope this means a full 4 lane primary road and not a 2 lane.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/07/16/de...gdale-overhaul
With a $46 million budget, this better be for 4 lanes!

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
With a $46 million budget, this better be for 4 lanes!
Not to worry, it is for four lanes!

Here is the EA page: https://www.london.ca/residents/Envi...ssessment.aspx There's a concept embedded in one of the documents.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 1:52 PM

Sadly this 8 week closure is only for culvert replacement and not the much needed widening.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...nths-1.5712984

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 12:29 PM
User Registered

Road closed, drivers don't care

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2031005

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Road closed, drivers don't care

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2031005
The issue is yet again, we are too soft on our citizens, we cater to them. The solution? Concrete barriers, or have cops sit there.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
The issue is yet again, we are too soft on our citizens, we cater to them. The solution? Concrete barriers, or have cops sit there.
If they put concrete barriers that would stop the construction vehicles as well.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
If they put concrete barriers that would stop the construction vehicles as well.
Well I mean have 1 opening to the construction, where workers will be constantly. Then the other side put the concrete barriers up. Or even have their cars or trucks blocking access. We had to do that at our older workplace, when we were repaving our parking lot and got super busy. People just decided to move the cones and drive over the fresh tarmac that was laid out, like assholes. Because of it the pavement now has a bunch of tire marks over it, cause people can't seem to respect anything, just more concerned about themselves.

Sorry for the mini rant lol but things like this angers me. I abide by these things, I have no problem finding alternate routes. I wish everyone else would do the same and stop being entitled and thinking of themselves. The selfishness of people ruin stuff for everyone else.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 8:02 PM

Sadly the City planners have pulled yet another epic failure. The culvert on Sunningdale Rd west of Adelaide is now rebuilt. The road is now open. BUT the mental midgets at City Hall rebuilt it at 3 lanes wide with steel barriers. Knowing that Sunningdale will be widen in the future how do you make such a mistake. Heads should roll at City Hall for this.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 3:21 PM

Just scrolling through older threads and thought I'd update this one.

I emailed the city a few months ago inquiring about this project, and was told that Sunningdale will be reconstructed from Wonderland to Richmond next year, and from Richmond to Adelaide in 2025.

The reconstruction will involve widening from 2 to 4 lanes, continuous sidewalks on both sides, and in-boulevard bike paths on both sides. In addition, a new bridge will be constructed over the Medway Creek, with a new pathway under the bridge.

This is welcoming news as there are currently some portions along this stretch of Sunningdale that have no sidewalks on either of the sides, despite lots of development on both sides (houses, townhomes, apartment buildings, commercial, etc). There is also zero cycling infrastructure along the entire Sunningdale corridor. Not to mention that the pavement in some spots of Sunningdale is not in good condition.

Last edited by CanadianTalk; Aug 27, 2022 at 3:50 AM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 3:50 AM

Unfortunately, the Sunningdale rebuild (between Richmond and Wonderland) will be deferred to 2024. I was told by the city that they still need several approvals.

The EA from 2012 recommended the reconstruction for 2019, then it was deferred to 2020, then to 2023, and now 2024.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 12:14 PM

Why does this keep happening? The Ridout St bridge replacement was delayed due to approvals. There is something wrong with our transportation and planning dept and some hard questions need to be asked of administration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTalk View Post
Unfortunately, the Sunningdale rebuild (between Richmond and Wonderland) will be deferred to 2024. I was told by the city that they still need several approvals.

The EA from 2012 recommended the reconstruction for 2019, then it was deferred to 2020, then to 2023, and now 2024.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 3:28 PM

I should have said in my original post that it's *very likely* that it will be deferred (not definitive at this point), but regardless, the whole thing seems very strange and like you said, the exact same thing happened with the Ridout bridge recently.

I'm just wondering what the approvals would be for. As far as I'm aware, the city already owns the land they need for the widening. Sunningdale does go over the Medway Creek, and a new bridge crossing is required, so maybe it could be environmental related approvals (like with the Ridout bridge).

Is it possible that there was some new legislation (at the federal or provincial level) passed very recently? As the Sunningdale EA was completed in 2012, you'd think all of the necessary approvals would have taken place within the last decade.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 6:20 PM

It's budget time! Staff is recommending deferral of the Wonderland to Richmond portion of the widening to 2025.

Reasons being that "additional time is required to acquire property, finalize designs, etc. In addition, deferring these capital budgets will help offset the significant impacts of parts A through H of this business case [the other big infrastructure projects coming up] on the City Services Roads Reserve Fund."

Page 152 of https://pub-london.escribemeetings.c...cumentId=95836

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 6:46 PM

Sorry but they had this already scheduled for 2023. These excuses that they need to acquire land are suspect. Just tell the truth that they want to defer it to help the budget for 2023 and 2024. At least Tricar can plan to move ahead with tower 3 and 4 of their Northlink condos development without having to deal with road reconstruction. They should be able to complete the next 2 towers by the summer of 2025 when the road rebuild finally starts.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 9:47 PM

If I recall, there were a couple other projects deferred from this year because of budgets, so I imagine we can expect other projects deferred as well in the next couple years to catch up on the ones already pushed back, like Highbury and Southdale West.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 4:36 PM

The city recently updated the project page for the Sunningdale Road widening and it speaks to why they had to defer this project again.

------------

The recent Development Charges Background Study identified the Sunningdale Road improvements, between Wonderland Road and Richmond Street to be constructed in 2023....

After careful assessment during the detailed design stage of the project, it was determined that a deferral of construction on Sunningdale Road is required, as further work is needed to obtain agreements and approvals related to an Imperial Oil pipeline traveling beneath a section of the roadway. The further work will ensure that the project can be completed in a cost-effective manner and in compliance with provincial requirements.

The timing for construction is currently being reviewed and it is subject to agreements and approvals. Future project milestones and updates will be shared once the necessary approvals are confirmed.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 11:23 PM

I received an email update from the City regarding the project timing.

Phase 1 is tentatively scheduled for next year (2024), which is the intersection widening at Richmond. Sunningdale will be widened to 4 lanes approaching Richmond from both directions.

The timing for the remaining phases, Wonderland to Richmond and Richmond to Adelaide, are subject to an agreement with Imperial Oil and the timing will be confirmed once an agreement is obtained.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2023, 4:34 PM

I wonder if this will encourage Tricar to move ahead with building number 3 of their Northlink condo site now that Sunningdale will not be widened next year? Also definitely means that York will not be starting their building planned for the NE corner of the Richmond and Sunningdale any time soon. Drewlo can definitely continue leasing out the farm field on the SW corner for a couple more years too.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2023, 9:52 PM

see next page

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure