HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 3:07 PM
National Capital Region

Lansdowne 2.0 (Northside Stands/Arena Redevelopment) | Proposed

Noticed this render on Trinity's site..
https://www.trinity-group.com/

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 5:09 PM

The tallest tower in that render looks to be about 38 stories tall. It would be hilarious to see the Glebe community's reaction to a proposal of this scale. I would be genuinely worried about inducing heart attacks from some of them.

I think bringing this many people into Lansdowne would be great for the development but I see a couple of problems as well. First off, where do you put more parking? The parking garage is already maxed out on most evenings. Would they be able to dig down or out? Transit is also pretty maxed out on this stretch of Bank so I can imagine a few hundred new units exacerbating that situation.

It's weird that this render showed up on their website all of a sudden with no explanation and the caption at the bottom says Dundas & Bloor.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
It's weird that this render showed up on their website all of a sudden with no explanation and the caption at the bottom says Dundas & Bloor.
Their website has been a bit messy the last couple months, if you move to the next image slide then move back, the caption changes to be about lansdowne, but still makes no mention of the building.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 5:34 PM

I'm hoping Trinity Centre @ Bayview was removed because they signed up all the commercial tenants for the first phase, but I doubt that's the case. Something ominous seems to be happening there.

This Lansdowne proposal could be very interesting unless RLA gets their hands on it.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 5:46 PM
National Capital Region

No roof on the new North Side..

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 5:48 PM

Quote:
The tallest tower in that render looks to be about 38 stories tall. It would be hilarious to see the Glebe community's reaction to a proposal of this scale. I would be genuinely worried about inducing heart attacks from some of them.

I think bringing this many people into Lansdowne would be great for the development but I see a couple of problems as well. First off, where do you put more parking? The parking garage is already maxed out on most evenings. Would they be able to dig down or out? Transit is also pretty maxed out on this stretch of Bank so I can imagine a few hundred new units exacerbating that situation.

Bank Street cannot support the additional traffic generated by such a large development.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Hard to sell/rent field view condos/apts with a roof blocking the view!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 6:12 PM

Quote:
The existing parking garage doesn't extend under the north stands, so if they built towers there I assume they would want to add multiple levels of parking under all of the new buildings. They could easily double the number of spots in the garage if they wanted to with 3 or 4 levels under the new towers, the issue is simply getting all the cars out of the garage when an event ends.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
The existing parking garage doesn't extend under the north stands, so if they built towers there I assume they would want to add multiple levels of parking under all of the new buildings. They could easily double the number of spots in the garage if they wanted to with 3 or 4 levels under the new towers, the issue is simply getting all the cars out of the garage when an event ends.
Is there event parking at Lansdowne? I thought it was restricted.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Is there event parking at Lansdowne? I thought it was restricted.
There is event parking for all but the big stadium events. I don’t think that multiple levels of underground parking is possible though. At least based on what was explained when the development was built, they could only go down the one level due to the water issues.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 11:39 PM

I'm all for bringing more density to the Glebe and sticking it the the rich Glebe Nimby. But this section of Bank is truly at max capacity even with reduced covid era traffic.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 1:48 AM

I don't see the street grid, let alone transit, supporting such a development. It would also produce quite a shadow over the retail/resto district of Lansdowne for just about the entire day.

Of note; not sure I see an arena under those towers.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 2:14 AM

Maybe, this will save the city money since they won’t have to replace the north stands themselves.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaGoose View Post
Maybe, this will save the city money since they won’t have to replace the north stands themselves.
This render shows a brand new North Stands. The current stands are single tier, these are three tier. There is no way you could tear down the arena underneath the existing stands without demolishing the whole thing.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Yep, no roof on the south side was a mistake. I really hope that they don’t repeat it on the North side. During big rainstorms, basically the only people left in the stadium are the ones under the roof.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
It would also produce quite a shadow over the retail/resto district of Lansdowne for just about the entire day.
No, it would not.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
There is event parking for all but the big stadium events. I don’t think that multiple levels of underground parking is possible though. At least based on what was explained when the development was built, they could only go down the one level due to the water issues.
There's event parking for every event, including the big ones. The garage is open for retail and restaurant customers and residents with reserved parking, and the spots for Whole Foods and LCBO are always available. When parking is pre-sold for events, they my start to limit non-reserved event parking to ensure there are spaces, but generally this only happens for about an hour prior to kickoff. If you ever want to park for an event, show up 2 hours early, go grab food, and you should have no issues getting a spot.

The only exceptions I am aware of to that have been the NHL Classic and Grey Cup, where parking was more heavily restricted for security concerns.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Yep, no roof on the south side was a mistake. I really hope that they don’t repeat it on the North side. During big rainstorms, basically the only people left in the stadium are the ones under the roof.
Rain? I assumed it doesn't rain at Lansdowne, given how little thought went into the transit passenger amenities at Lansdowne "station".

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
There's event parking for every event, including the big ones. The garage is open for retail and restaurant customers and residents with reserved parking, and the spots for Whole Foods and LCBO are always available. When parking is pre-sold for events, they my start to limit non-reserved event parking to ensure there are spaces, but generally this only happens for about an hour prior to kickoff. If you ever want to park for an event, show up 2 hours early, go grab food, and you should have no issues getting a spot.

The only exceptions I am aware of to that have been the NHL Classic and Grey Cup, where parking was more heavily restricted for security concerns.
Thanks for clarifying. Have never driven to a football game, so I didn’t know they allowed football parking (although I did see that the club seats come with parking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Rain? I assumed it doesn't rain at Lansdowne, given how little thought went into the transit passenger amenities at Lansdowne "station".
Nice.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
No, it would not.
How will it not cast a shadow? It's a wall of towers directly south of the entertainment district.

Bank is a traditional main street and Lansdowne a medium density entertainment district. The area is not served by rapid transit. This is not an appropriate spot for such tall buildings. 25 floors closest to Bank, and up to 8 floors for the two towers to the east would be more reasonable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa