HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 1:23 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

381 Kent St | 33m | 9f | Proposed

S.E.C. 381 Kent LP is proposing a development at 381 Kent Street that takes the form of a mid-rise building consisting of a mixture of residential and commercial uses. Commercial uses are proposed at the ground floor in the northwest corner of the site. A total commercial gross floor area of 171m2 is proposed. The remainder of the ground floor envisions walk-out residential apartment units. The upper floors consist of apartment uses. A total of 218 units are proposed. The overall building is 33 metres in height, incorporating 9 storeys of living space and a rooftop amenity area with internal and external elements.

Unit distribution:
  • 125 x 1 bedroom
  • 56 x 2 bedroom
  • 10 x 3 bedroom
  • 18 x Studio
  • 7 x 1 bedroom walk-out
  • 2 x 2 bedroom walk-out

A park of 385 square metres is proposed for dedication to the City of Ottawa in the southwest corner of the site. This contribution rounds upward from a 10% dedication of the site area (3,822m2 x 0.1 = 382.2m2). The dedicated parkland area will coordinate with a Privately Owned Public Space (“POPS”) component which serves to extend the greenspace over the underground parking deck.

Two levels of underground parking are proposed, facilitating a total 161 vehicle parking spaces. 88 bicycle parking spaces are proposed below-grade, with an additional 22 spaces being proposed at-grade. Refuse storage is located at-grade to the east of the parking access ramp.

Architect: NEUF Architects

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...3-0031/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 1:29 PM

Love this! I'm surprised they're not going for a tower tho! They have so much space they could have a point tower with very decent setback given the size of the proprety

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 2:04 PM

Wow, love it too! The scale, design, materials... could be a really nice addition to the area. Especially if the other Kent proposal across the street goes forward.

Who is S.E.C Kent LP? Maybe they're not proposing a tower because it's a smaller builder/player?

The only thing though is I'm not a fan of the green strip on the corner. I hate these "park space for the sake of saving on development fees". Developers just end up carving out these random corners for "parkettes" - not the best use of space.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 2:24 PM

This looks nice, but why such little space for bike parking? Generally speaking, don’t people typically own more bikes than cars, especially downtown? Why have half as many bike parking spots as car parking spots?

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
The only thing though is I'm not a fan of the green strip on the corner. I hate these "park space for the sake of saving on development fees". Developers just end up carving out these random corners for "parkettes" - not the best use of space.
I don't mind them but I'd rather they put them to use - give them a purpose ie. rather than concrete planters with a few benches and token shrubs to call it a park, put in a bocce ball court or a chess-board tables. Or, make sure there is a coffee spot next door that can extend their patio. Add some mood lighting at night to create a cozy environment. Enliven the space. Make it work for humans. My two cents.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 2:39 PM

This looks fantastic. Nice design, more density in Centretown, and nary a single charcoal brick. Win Win Win!

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 9:02 PM

Great design, should be a great addition to the area honestly.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 10:09 PM

Another image from DevApps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading Isle View Post
This looks nice, but why such little space for bike parking? Generally speaking, don’t people typically own more bikes than cars, especially downtown? Why have half as many bike parking spots as car parking spots?
Agreed. Always confused with this. For most of my life, just about everyone I've known owned a bike. One for each person in a household. Rarely the case for cars.

We should scrap parking minimums for cars, let the market decide if parking is needed, but implement a minimum for bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Yeah, every developer gives up a small corner for a "park" that's ultimately useless. I would prefer the City collecting the park taxes until they can buy a reasonably sized lot for a true park, or eventually work with a developer with a large plot of land (Brigil and the old bus depot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
This looks fantastic. Nice design, more density in Centretown, and nary a single charcoal brick. Win Win Win!
This is just the first iteration. The next one might very well be charcoal bricks and metal cladding.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 12:40 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Another image from DevApps.
Pssst. It's the same image. I just cropped it so you could see the details of the building in question.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Pssst. It's the same image. I just cropped it so you could see the details of the building in question.
Seems like it, now that I look closer. Thought the full Centretown context was interesting and worth posting. I had already ran it through Postimages for the skyline thread, so I figured might as well post it here as well.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 2:02 PM

side-by-side

With 359 Kent (Kent between Maclaren and Gilmour) also proposed for redevelopment, that makes two blocks side-by-side proposed to be converted from building + parking lot to just buildings.

It's nice to see this land conversion to better uses.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakerman View Post
With 359 Kent (Kent between Maclaren and Gilmour) also proposed for redevelopment, that makes two blocks side-by-side proposed to be converted from building + parking lot to just buildings.

It's nice to see this land conversion to better uses.
For sure, great to see parking lots being redeveloped. Too often developers demolish main street storefronts or apartment buildings when parking lots are right there, begging to be replaced!

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 6:43 PM

That lot was always such an eyesore and waste of space, given how dense the area is. Glad they're finally repurposing it. Love the mid-density design.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 1:51 PM

Kind of forgot about this one, but it's going to Planning next week.

Old Posted Today, 5:20 PM

Un immeuble de bureaux ferait place à des logements

Par Charles-Antoine Gagnon, Le Droit
23 août 2024 à 12h43

Un immeuble de bureaux du quartier Centretown d’Ottawa devrait faire place à un édifice résidentiel.

Le Comité du patrimoine bâti et le conseil municipal seront prochainement appelés à se prononcer sur la démolition d’un l’édifice de cinq étages sis au 381, rue Kent et son remplacement par une bâtisse de neuf étages comprenant 218 appartements.

Le personnel municipal ne s’oppose pas au projet puisque l’immeuble construit en 1972-1973 ne s’inscrit pas dans le patrimoine du quartier Centretown et qu’il contribue à atteindre l’objectif de la Ville d’une plus grande densification.

Une évaluation de l’impact patrimonial sur le projet mentionne que le nouveau développement «est une conception bien pensée qui soutient les objectifs, les politiques et les lignes directrices du Plan de conservation du patrimoine du quartier Centretown. Il réintroduit un espace public axé sur les piétons, qui est suffisamment en retrait pour permettre la réintroduction d’arbres de rue et offre un espace public bien proportionné par rapport à la hauteur du nouveau bâtiment».

Le site donne des façades sur les rues Kent, Gilmour et James. Dix pour cent du terrain du nouvel édifice sera dédié à l’espace public.

«La conception propose une approche sympathique pour intégrer une expression contemporaine qui respecte les valeurs communautaires existantes, et contribuera à stabiliser la qualité de l’expérience piétonne le long de cette section de la rue Kent», note une étude sur l’évaluation des impacts patrimoniaux.

Les échéanciers des travaux n’ont pas été spécifiés.

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/a...JNJYAD5UOTRQY/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa