HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
I think you can translate that as establishing a route to reducing the City's expenditures on social housing, health care, child care, climate initiatives, and emergency aid. In theory they're provincial responsibilities. In practice, over the years, the City has taken on a role (often in partnership with the province). You can see a similar situation in Burnaby where City Council has walked back a $6 contribution to expanding a school gym.

The Mayor’s Budget Task Force was just an advisory group - seven accountants - and its ideas were obviously non-binding. For example, it doesn't look like the idea of the fire service not attending medical calls is going anywhere yet. One idea that the mayor has obviously glommed onto is the idea to sell naming rights on city assets, and allow donors to fund city programs. You can see that in the proposal to fix up Kitsilano Pool also looking for sponsorship and offering naming rights.
I don't have a problem with him looking for corporate sponsorship on city facilities like Kits Pool or the Stanley Park Train - as long as there is a city commitment to go ahead with repairs if they can't find any.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I would never rely on street parking personally. I don't want my vehicle out there for starters. But this will speed up construction and we'll see a bunch of zero-parking buildings get built.

From there we will start to see the real market demand for parking, including on the street. I don't have a problem with that.
Yes, we will finally see what the actual current market demand for parking is, which is good.

I wonder how removal of parking minimums has affected other similar cities that did it, eg Edmonton & Toronto a few years ago.

Ontario updating parking regs too, 2024: https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/new-ontar...nsit-1.6841408

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
Yes, we will finally see what the actual current market demand for parking is, which is good.

I wonder how removal of parking minimums has affected other similar cities that did it, eg Edmonton & Toronto a few years ago.
The dream is to one day have zero parking spot per housing parking minimums province/country-wide, but exactly one parking spot per vehicle parking minimums like they have in Japan.

Almost an impossible dream, but intuitively it feels like a no-brainer policy. Why tie parking to housing when it should be tied to what uses uses the parking?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics