HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 3:06 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Are they fencing off the smoke stack? Booooo.
It's a future savings in fingerprint remover

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 12:58 AM

Hopefully this glass railing can withstand some abuse.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Hopefully this glass railing can withstand some abuse.
Looks like those metal supports in between the glass panels will hold the actual railing, probably wood or stainless steel I'm guessing.

For a federal industrial plant, this project looks like it's going to provide quite the urban park as far as design and material choices go.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 3:55 PM

All I can think of are the finger prints.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 6:43 PM

I was thinking more about the graffiti and it being heavily scratched/etched.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 6:44 PM

I love they are doing it! Hoping for the best that it doesn't get wrecked.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 6:56 PM

I think the fingerprint and vandalism concerns are just a testament to how unusual it feels to have premium finishes (incl. glass) here in Ottawa

Toronto, Vancouver and plenty of other cities with similar social issues seem to do just fine with glass finishes in public places.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 12:38 PM

From Pat on Rail Fans Canada Discord. First bit of the mesh visible on the lower right behind the tree.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 12:43 PM

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 4:12 PM

You know, I don't hate it...the rooftop gardens/park are a nice improvement over what was there before, and I am sure they did this project this way in the event that future redevelopment of Tunney's for mixed use comes to fruition...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 9:29 PM

I know it's more nuanced than what I'm about to say, but it's sad that this industrial plant looks much nicer than most of our transit stations. Especially when you consider the landscaping.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
I know it's more nuanced than what I'm about to say, but it's sad that this industrial plant looks much nicer than most of our transit stations. Especially when you consider the landscaping.
These industrial plants cost almost the same amount, or are at least in the same order of magnitude cost. So I'd be sad if our taxes spent all that money and it wasn't nice.

Its that strange dichotomy of federal spending in Ottawa. Extremely premium for things of a certain category. And almost nothing elsewhere.

$1.5 billy for heating and cooling? No problem.
Transit for employees to get to a hot and cold workplace (a fair share to pay, approximately the same value)? WOAH, cool your jets there Sally. We can afford just a fraction.

$10-20 billy for a downtown workplace that's mint? Wow, let me sign the cheque.
A safe, intact bridge for workers to get there? OMG that's so expensive, no thanks. Lets just keep studying the issue so people think we care.

Office fitup so my PSPC drone's office isn't stinky with a flickering flourescent lightbulb? No thanks.
Custom brass and oak fittings for elected officials (what is it, $28M per MP's office?)? Sign me up!

And more recently: Paying property taxes to the City in which your employees live? No thanks! (lol, that's just conjecture from the Mayor, but still)

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
These industrial plants cost almost the same amount, or are at least in the same order of magnitude cost. So I'd be sad if our taxes spent all that money and it wasn't nice.

Its that strange dichotomy of federal spending in Ottawa. Extremely premium for things of a certain category. And almost nothing elsewhere.

$1.5 billy for heating and cooling? No problem.
Transit for employees to get to a hot and cold workplace (a fair share to pay, approximately the same value)? WOAH, cool your jets there Sally. We can afford just a fraction.

$10-20 billy for a downtown workplace that's mint? Wow, let me sign the cheque.
A safe, intact bridge for workers to get there? OMG that's so expensive, no thanks. Lets just keep studying the issue so people think we care.

Office fitup so my PSPC drone's office isn't stinky with a flickering flourescent lightbulb? No thanks.
Custom brass and oak fittings for elected officials (what is it, $28M per MP's office?)? Sign me up!

And more recently: Paying property taxes to the City in which your employees live? No thanks! (lol, that's just conjecture from the Mayor, but still)
Some good points. Don't forget; "Billions for private sector car battery plants that aren't getting built, sure why not!"

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa