HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 4:35 AM

Is this dead? Seems like it

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 8:35 PM

NW examiner (March, page 11) says its dead and the property is for sale. Also, cover story is debate about 13th street pedestrian mall.
https://nwexaminer.com/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:15 PM
Mostly Up To Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossalorder View Post
NW examiner (March, page 11) says its dead and the property is for sale. Also, cover story is debate about 13th street pedestrian mall.
I truly love that pedestrian mall and that cover story made me want to throw things.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOverPun View Post
I truly love that pedestrian mall and that cover story made me want to throw things.
The 13th Ave story has a very "get off my lawn" vibe.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
I can't remember, is it still just construction barricades? If so, they def need a more permanent and aesthetically pleasing system to block vehicular traffic.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
I can't remember, is it still just construction barricades? If so, they def need a more permanent and aesthetically pleasing system to block vehicular traffic.
It is. All the signage/barriers still look temporary.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
Everything in the NW Examiner has that vibe. It's pretty much every old person's opinion on the changes in their neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 6:49 PM

I would be very sad if NW 13th reverted back to the pre-2020 configuration. But I also agree that PBOT has not done enough to make it look and feel like a great pedestrian / shared use street.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 3:03 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I would be very sad if NW 13th reverted back to the pre-2020 configuration. But I also agree that PBOT has not done enough to make it look and feel like a great pedestrian / shared use street.
Maybe this discussion of NW 13th Avenue should have its own thread rather than be under Prosper Hotel.

I have for years quietly advocated for pedestrianization of various streets in our central city. So when the Covid pandemic caused Portland to close NW 13th Avenue to cars, I was hopeful that the City would develop a well-conceived plan to make it a pleasant pedestrian environment rather than a hodge-podge of temporary street closure signs and barriers as well as permanent Home Depot-inspired dining structures that gobble up the right of way. Now there is a pushback against the status quo.

What I have observed in many foreign cities with pedestrian areas is that during early hours before businesses open, deliveries to shops and restaurants take place. Taxis are allowed (at very slow speeds) to access hotels and other destinations. Restaurants and bars are required to close their outdoor areas at 10pm to avoid disturbing residents on upper floors.

The point is that accommodations can be made to make pedestrianization work for all, to create areas that are safer for walkers, free of revving engines, and less tainted by engine exhaust.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 10:17 PM

I can understand why people who live on 13th might not love it, but its a mystery to me why the retailers would be opposed. It generates so much foot traffic. So many Pearl streets are dead now. 13th is a real bright spot. The parking argument seemed really stupid. No one goes downtown expecting to park right in front of the store.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 1:11 AM

I am also curious why more restaurants done't open in pearl? There are so many ideal empty spots?
Slabtown seems to be more popular, but I am sure all the restaurants would be be busy in pearl, as many people live there as well.

Quote:
I can understand why people who live on 13th might not love it, but its a mystery to me why the retailers would be opposed. It generates so much foot traffic. So many Pearl streets are dead now. 13th is a real bright spot. The parking argument seemed really stupid. No one goes downtown expecting to park right in front of the store.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 4:54 AM

Quote:
I know little about the financial details of these types of projects. How much does a developer or owner or ? lose when going through the design and permit approval process in a case like this (when the project is simply called off)? Just trying to get a perspective on the ramifications of getting to the point they did, only to see it not go through). I realize there are various factors on a project by project basis, as well as many other factors, but what is the general cost of doing nothing here?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland