HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 6:19 PM
There is always a way

I swear every time I go to the outlet mall it is busier than the last. But some of the stores are very clearly too big for what they need to be.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
There is a CNBC video on you tube I watched the other day on the problems that outlet malls are having in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsXs5V6LKp8
outlet malls in some USA cities are A LOT different than Winnipeg outlet mall. I've been to many in USA where the clothes are all 1-2 yrs old or slightly damages (thread sticking out). Our Outlet Mall is currrent in season merchandise

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 8:04 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
This falls in line with what my architect friend has been saying, that there are many developments about to occur in the city centre since residential demand is quite high.
All thanks to the federal government....developers are all panicking that the election next October will be a hard stop.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 8:07 PM
surely you agree with me

I get worked up about Osborne Village because I am tired of the narrative that it is dead or that it was Yonge Street in our youth.

The Toad
Wakoya Sushi
Wild Planet Music
Urban Waves
Shakti
Vita Health
Tea Story Café
Out of the Blue
Vintage in the Village
Old Gold Vintage Vinyl
Willow Press Books
Little Sister Coffee
Silver Skies
Urban Waves
The Happy Cooker
Baked Expectations
Rooster
Silver Lotus
Crumb Queen
Sukhothai Restaurant
Gongcha Bubble Tea
Bangkok Thai Restaurant
Canister
Osborne Taphouse
Carlos and Murphy’s
AGIT Karaoke
Chocoberry Dessert House
Cleocatra Café

Soon the two new restaurants/shops in the old Basils
Likely SK8

I include Corydon in my definition of Osborne Village and if you consider both, there is a lot happening....compare it to downtown!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
outlet malls in some USA cities are A LOT different than Winnipeg outlet mall. I've been to many in USA where the clothes are all 1-2 yrs old or slightly damages (thread sticking out). Our Outlet Mall is currrent in season merchandise
Interesting to know. I have never been in the Winnipeg Outlet mall to see what they have. Closest I have been are to some of the restaurants in ringing it in the parking lot at night.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I get worked up about Osborne Village because I am tired of the narrative that it is dead or that it was Yonge Street in our youth.

The Toad
Wakoya Sushi
Wild Planet Music
Urban Waves
Shakti
Vita Health
Tea Story Café
Out of the Blue
Vintage in the Village
Old Gold Vintage Vinyl
Willow Press Books
Little Sister Coffee
Silver Skies
Urban Waves
The Happy Cooker
Baked Expectations
Rooster
Silver Lotus
Crumb Queen
Sukhothai Restaurant
Gongcha Bubble Tea
Bangkok Thai Restaurant
Canister
Osborne Taphouse
Carlos and Murphy’s
AGIT Karaoke
Chocoberry Dessert House
Cleocatra Café

Likely SK8

I include Corydon in my definition of Osborne Village and if you consider both, there is a lot happening....compare it to downtown!
And that list might be half the businesses in the village. The sky will not be falling CoryB

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Interesting to know. I have never been in the Winnipeg Outlet mall to see what they have. Closest I have been are to some of the restaurants in ringing it in the parking lot at night.
You should check it out, even just for a walk in the winter. I like the VR arcade.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 2:30 PM
What could go wrong?

Just a tid-bit of info on the demise of bricks and mortar retail in Winnipeg.

Stats from a recent retail survey for BOMA Manitoba - retail vacancy over all in Winnipeg is at historic lows of 3%. General mall vacancy is at 5%. Grocery anchored strip centres are at 1.5% to 2%.

I think a lot of doom and gloom comes from articles out of the US.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Just a tid-bit of info on the demise of bricks and mortar retail in Winnipeg.

Stats from a recent retail survey for BOMA Manitoba - retail vacancy over all in Winnipeg is at historic lows of 3%. General mall vacancy is at 5%. Grocery anchored strip centres are at 1.5% to 2%.

I think a lot of doom and gloom comes from articles out of the US.
I hear of lots of dead malls in the US, curious what causes the difference in vacancy rates between US & Canada.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
I hear of lots of dead malls in the US, curious what causes the difference in vacancy rates between US & Canada.
A lot them died when the major anchor stores closed down. Some have had a Sears at one end and a JC Penney at the other both close and then the small stores start to close due to lack of foot traffic.

Also from what I have been able to see on some of the you tube videos on mall closings, a major part is the malls were not safe. All it takes is a number of shootings in the parking lots or gang swarming the common areas to reduce foot traffic and the downward spiral starts.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 6:12 PM

Quote:
A lot them died when the major anchor stores closed down. Some have had a Sears at one end and a JC Penney at the other both close and then the small stores start to close due to lack of foot traffic.

Also from what I have been able to see on some of the you tube videos on mall closings, a major part is the malls were not safe. All it takes is a number of shootings in the parking lots or gang swarming the common areas to reduce foot traffic and the downward spiral starts.
So it's more of a Portage place style decline than a foot traffic decline. Makes sense considering gangs don't tend to openly flaunt and hang out at suburban malls.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
What causes the difference in vacancy rates? Population size is a big driver. The last 20-30 years have seen major consolidation and bankruptcy in US retail. It used to be they had several mid-high end department stores like Macy's but through mergers and consolidations they became a single brand. As a simple example Dayton's was one brand, Marshall Fields a second brand, and Macy's a third brand. In some cities you may have ended up with all three being in the same regional shopping area and possibly two or more even being within the same mall. Well you don't need a Macy's anchoring every corner of a mall so some vacancies happened that way.

Also 2008 was brutal on US retail. I recall seeing a secondary shopping center in one city that had smaller anchors Borders, Circuit City and Linen and Things. Two of those three didn't escape 2008 and the third wasn't far behind. Add in those sort of developments also commonly had a Blockbuster...

So yeah the US was a lot more overbuilt to start with before consolidation happened. But Canada has a much smaller population base, less than just the state of California, and a much wider geography there was less opportunity for stores to develop here. The closures of Zeller's, Eaton's and Sears though definitely still was felt, it was just a lighter gut punch than what happened in the USA.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 10:37 PM

Rubin Block sold with development intentions

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/rubin-bl...urce-1.6970825

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 10:58 PM

About time!

Man, South Osborne is turning into a nice little neighbourhood with shops and apartments. I absolutely love it.

Just to add, the Oxbow is a great little wine bar and restaurant.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

The Toad
Wakoya Sushi
Wild Planet Music
Urban Waves
Shakti
Vita Health
Tea Story Café
Out of the Blue
Vintage in the Village
Old Gold Vintage Vinyl
Willow Press Books
Little Sister Coffee
Silver Skies
Urban Waves
The Happy Cooker
Baked Expectations
Rooster
Silver Lotus
Crumb Queen
Sukhothai Restaurant
Gongcha Bubble Tea
Bangkok Thai Restaurant
Canister
Osborne Taphouse
Carlos and Murphy’s
AGIT Karaoke
Chocoberry Dessert House
Cleocatra Café

Likely SK8

Likely sk8? Haven’t they moved there yet? They’ve closed on main with a sign saying new location on Osborne.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 11:07 PM

Great news!

Didn’t this family also own properties in the exchange and downtown? Hopefully they sell those too.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Rubin Block sold with development intentions

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/rubin-bl...urce-1.6970825
Great news!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 11:10 PM

^ Totally. This one has been a real sore spot for everyone in the heritage and (classy) development community for ages.

St Charles Hotel next!

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:57 AM

As for retail I have always marvelled at how so many US metros have whole areas of empty storefronts and have been that way for decades whereas in Toronto you rarely see a vacancy and when a business closes down it is usually followed by another soon after. I wonder if higher density also pls
Us a role?

Old Posted Today, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Likely sk8? Haven’t they moved there yet? They’ve closed on main with a sign saying new location on Osborne.
They temporarily moved to 120 Osborne (formerly tweed) for a month between June 15 - July 15, and are now back at the forks again for a month. I think they're headed to West Broadway for a month after that. They're doing a little temp pop-up shop tour of different neighborhoods to decide where to land long term.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan