HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

View Poll Results: Which bridge concept do you prefer?
Echo 20 74.07%
Motion 5 18.52%
Rendez-Vous 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
It only impacts Gatineau to Ottawa commuters so nobody in Ottawa cares and for political reasons Gatineau likes to pretend it doesn't care and it's up to the Feds to pay for something that benefits them. I guess if it was going to be a bike and pedestrian bridge they would voice views.
I don’t think many commuters want to use the Alexandra, they are using it because it is often less clogged than the alternatives.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I don’t think many commuters want to use the Alexandra, they are using it because it is often less clogged than the alternatives.
Its a useless bridge for cars (How long has it been closed? Do we care?), just use the money to build the Kettle Island bridge! There I said it again

The existing structure can likely continue to support pedestrians cyclists etc...

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
It was used for commuting and every car that uses it is one not on McDonald Cartier or others that are at capacity during rush hour. Taking away 5% of the cars would make a big difference right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesladom View Post
Its a useless bridge for cars (How long has it been closed? Do we care?), just use the money to build the Kettle Island bridge! There I said it again

The existing structure can likely continue to support pedestrians cyclists etc...
Kettles Island is dead as Ottawa doesn't want it. It is likely a lot more expensive with whole highway connections needed too.

They claim that it needs upgrading even for pedestrians and cyclists and for those it is really an essential route. So here we are.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:08 PM

So far, based on this poll, the Skyrise poll and a few conversations, Echo seems to be a clear winner (if replacement is absolutely necessary).

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:15 PM

Ottawa - We want new and exciting designs, we're tired of the same old same old. Give us variety and make it look different from everything else around here.

Also Ottawa. Make it look like the old one but paint it white.

Echo is ugly and boring. There is nothing adventurous or exciting about that design. My opinion (which I freely admit is worth two cents.)

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyMug View Post
paint it white.

The white on all three concepts is just the absense of any decided colour or materialility.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTeverywhere View Post
The white on all three concepts is just the absense of any decided colour or materialility.
Of course it is and I know that.

But I can also hear the NCC droids postulating along the lines of: "Oh a white bridge reflecting the image of the fresh snow in winter." Or: "A white bridge is indicative of the flow of the Ottawa river at it's mightiest when the white water churns and boils."

It's still boring/plain/mundane as designed.... even if they paint it lime green.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:57 PM

For those who don't like the designs, could you post a picture of a bridge design that would be suitable?

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
For those who don't like the designs, could you post a picture of a bridge design that would be suitable?
I was hoping for cable stayed as those tend to be quite prominent and look elegant while also being relatively simple as far as design.

That being said I just realized that Rendez Vous (hate the proposal name, gives me flashbacks) is significantly taller than the other two proposals. For that reason alone it’s my new top choice.

Above all else, this new bridge better have a dynamic lighting feature or I’m going to be very disappointed.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation