HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
Impressive! I was reading an article today stating that the average number of cranes in Boston has dropped from 12 a few years ago to 9 in the first quarter of ‘22. Punching above our weight class in this respect.
Sorry, you can’t compare the quality and scale of Boston’s builds to Halifax’s

Sure, we have 32 cranes up, how many of them are constructing buildings greater than 7–10 floors? We are punching below where we should.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 5:02 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
Sorry, you can’t compare the quality and scale of Boston’s builds to Halifax’s

Sure, we have 32 cranes up, how many of them are constructing buildings greater than 7–10 floors? We are punching below where we should.
It is interesting and somewhat complicated though.

Some people say Halifax is a mini-Boston and that would imply similar buildings but fewer and smaller. But that's not really what we see. The building style is substantially different, with a lot more medium-sized multi-unit buildings in Halifax that use cranes for construction (or not). I think these days Halifax has diverged a lot from New England cities and seems to be drifting farther away, not closer.

Boston is much larger but the quality of some Halifax projects is good too. I would say that Halifax has nothing comparable to the major office towers (like Prudential tower) but it has projects comparable to the tier below that. Richmond Yards is the kind of thing that could be built in a major city. It will have 600 units.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Boston is much larger but the quality of some Halifax projects is good too. I would say that Halifax has nothing comparable to the major office towers (like Prudential tower) but it has projects comparable to the tier below that. Richmond Yards is the kind of thing that could be built in a major city. It will have 600 units.
Just for scale/relativity, if the 339' I see listed for Richmond Yards is correct it would be just outside Boston's top 60. If it fully doubled its height it would just miss Boston's top 5.

As an outsider I think Halifax punches well above its weight class and I hope to visit one day.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 5:58 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Just for scale/relativity, if the 339' I see listed for Richmond Yards is correct it would be just outside Boston's top 60. If it fully doubled its height it would just miss Boston's top 5.
That should be correct. However there are a lot of buildings in the 30 storey range planned. It will likely be a fairly "standard" height for new construction in Halifax in the coming years (assuming no economic collapse; nobody can predict the future).

Halifax tends to have a lot of buildings of similar height due to height restrictions, with the tallest being residential, rather than a few signature larger office towers as in most American cities. Hence the large crane count.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 1:20 AM

Halifax is 2nd in North America (per capita)!

Source Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyscrapers...t=share_button

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 11:26 AM

For a while now, whenever I've heard anyone decry Halifax's small skyline, or lack of tall buildings, I've wondered if they're just not paying attention--for a city of half a million people it's actually thick with highrises, and clearly growing moreso.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 1:25 PM

You still need a crane to construct the prototypical HRM 7-story box apartment.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 1:30 PM

The above is not a count of cranes though, it's a count of buildings U/C of ten storeys or more.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 2:26 PM

This image shows the build out happening in Canada. It's great to see how much we are building, and yes, we need much more .. lots to catch up on.

I am surprised at the relatively less amount in the US. I wonder if they are going through a "missing middle" build period?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
You still need a crane to construct the prototypical HRM 7-story box apartment.
It's not a crane-count map.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 6:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
The above is not a count of cranes though, it's a count of buildings U/C of ten storeys or more.
It seems there must be more than that many 10 storey buildings under construction around metro Halifax? Lots of suburban apartments are 10-12.

Quote:
For a while now, whenever I've heard anyone decry Halifax's small skyline, or lack of tall buildings, I've wondered if they're just not paying attention--for a city of half a million people it's actually thick with highrises, and clearly growing moreso.
I thought the peninsula looked pretty built up in this photo: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ostcount=10310

There aren't that many Canadian cities with a more substantial urban core than that, and that is missing Dartmouth. Some million plus US metros look less built up too, with fewer highrises and more parking lots.

It's been noted before on here that some people don't know that much about cities and compare Halifax to major metro areas. Maybe that's where some of that sentiment comes from. It's much smaller than Toronto or NYC, yes, but lots of construction and infill happens there.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 7:42 PM

Quote:
That should be correct. However there are a lot of buildings in the 30 storey range planned. It will likely be a fairly "standard" height for new construction in Halifax in the coming years (assuming no economic collapse; nobody can predict the future).

Halifax tends to have a lot of buildings of similar height due to height restrictions, with the tallest being residential, rather than a few signature larger office towers as in most American cities. Hence the large crane count.
I'm not so sure 30 floors as a standard height is a reasonable expectation. Sure there are quite a few buildings planned at that height, but the combination of ramparts, viewplanes, and FARs mean there are scarely few lots where you can actually build as high as 30-40 stories. The number of lots where you can build this high in the HRM is borderline hand-countable.

There are maybe a dozen or so buildings at this scale that can be built. We will then have nearly run out of lots where such height is permissible until further rezoning occurs and/or lots are combined for FAR maximization.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 7:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarbingerDe View Post
There are maybe a dozen or so buildings at this scale that can be built. We will then have nearly run out of lots where such height is permissible until further rezoning occurs and/or lots are combined for FAR maximization.
Doesn't the West End Mall plan alone include many 30 storey buildings? That's one growth node, then there's around Almon St, then Dartmouth.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarbingerDe View Post
I'm not so sure 30 floors as a standard height is a reasonable expectation. Sure there are quite a few buildings planned at that height, but the combination of ramparts, viewplanes, and FARs mean there are scarely few lots where you can actually build as high as 30-40 stories. The number of lots where you can build this high in the HRM is borderline hand-countable.

The obvious answer given that our esteemed Council has already thrown out much of the much-vaunted Centre Plan to allow for more density in existing residential areas in exchange for a small bag of JT’s gold is to eliminate the provisions involving ramparts and view planes, and to adjust the arbitrary FAR formula to allow more height.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Doesn't the West End Mall plan alone include many 30 storey buildings? That's one growth node, then there's around Almon St, then Dartmouth.
There's also comprehensive development district identified between Joseph Howe and the rail tracks, from the Bedford Highway all the way down to Bayers Road. I don't think there's been any discussion about it (development is likely a long ways off) but it's another area likely to be earmarked for major density.

Dartmouth has a bunch: one adjacent to downtown and King's Wharf, Mic Mac Mall area, Shannon Park, etc. Plus Centre zones (though much of that is limited in height due to FAR or in at least one case a proposed heritage district). All in all there's a lot of room for new tall buildings in the medium term.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General