HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 9:35 PM

I thought the mall was supposed to be raised by mid 2024? Only issue I have with the renderings. It doesn’t allow room for the light rail to extend forward if there is ever an extension proposed……

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 10:35 PM
Modulator

Demolition was delayed for some reason or another and is supposed to start sometime in late fall. Light rail was never planned to extend past Metrocenter and I'm not really sure there would be good reason to. It's mostly single family homes from there on to the Glendale border. So, I don't see much push for rail in the area.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 10:43 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Demolition was delayed for some reason or another and is supposed to start sometime in late fall. Light rail was never planned to extend past Metrocenter and I'm not really sure there would be good reason to. It's mostly single family homes from there on to the Glendale border. So, I don't see much push for rail in the area.
There have been on-again, off-again proposals to extend light rail to ASU West. The placement of the Metro Parkway station would require no structures immediately to the west if track were to be extended from there.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 10:50 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
There have been on-again, off-again proposals to extend light rail to ASU West. The placement of the Metro Parkway station would require no structures immediately to the west if track were to be extended from there.
Must've been proposed before my time here. I've never read anything on extending beyond Metrocenter. I would be interested in seeing how a route to ASU West would have been routed. Would it have continued down Peoria and then up 43rd?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 10:53 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Must've been proposed before my time here. I've never read anything on extending beyond Metrocenter. I would be interested in seeing how a route to ASU West would have been routed. Would it have continued down Peoria and then up 43rd?
I have no idea. I doubt it ever got that specific.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 11:19 PM
Skyriser

It was part of the MovePHX plan, but these are always rosy estimates at best.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 4:56 PM

Phoenix OKs demolition of historic industrial laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by halicem View Post
AZCentral finally wrote something up for the Milum property.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...s/72811915007/

The council meeting with them a couple of weeks ago turned quite nasty. At this point the family is really going scorched earth on everyone it seems.
Well looks like the City gave in and demo permit will be issued soon for Milum Textile building. On the bright side, hopefully we get an outstanding, dense project with great height on this site.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...d/75057317007/

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 6:13 PM

Who doesnt love those clean mid century buildings but I wouldn't say this old industrial building is so unique and special as to demand preservation.

Density is much more important. Especially if we want to bring Grand into the downtown mesh, which we do.

Think in a few years a casual walk from Grand to the heart of downtown without having to cross sketchy dead zones will soon be a reality!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 6:53 PM

This thread has been kind of quiet lately. A couple of observations and questions:
  • Residences on 2nd (NWC of 2nd Ave & McKinley) - This in-fill project might finally be moving, lots of recent permitting activity. Live.Forward is the new developer, I'm guessing bought the rights from MetroWest Development
  • Seargeant/Oldaker House (SEC of 3rd Ave & Fillmore) - Live.Forward is the new developer, not sure how this is progressing. Fact Finding app opened in July 2024. I've submitted public record request for this project but the damn city has been ignoring me.
  • Anyone know what's the latest with The Fillmore Phase 2? I noticed a Prelim Site Plan Review submitted for 350 N 4th Ave (south of Taylor St) so are they potentially expanding South first versus empty lot to the west?
  • Any updates on the zoning outcome of proposed project at 361 N 4th Ave? From what I remember, the developer was not budging on leaving enough space for Taylor St to be extended to 3rd Ave.
  • Any updates on the proposed tower at 346 N 3rd Ave? I was led to believe Chicago developers move really fast and get stuff done

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Sep 5, 2024 at 8:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Who doesnt love those clean mid century buildings but I wouldn't say this old industrial building is so unique and special as to demand preservation.

Density is much more important. Especially if we want to bring Grand into the downtown mesh, which we do.

Think in a few years a casual walk from Grand to the heart of downtown without having to cross sketchy dead zones will soon be a reality!
I may be alone in this opinion but Grand/7th Ave/Van Buren would benefit from a nice roundabout with a cool center feature. It could be designed to be pedestrian friendly and also quickly process vehicles at slow speeds unlike what we have today which is a bunch of cars idling all the time.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 7:59 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
I may be alone in this opinion but Grand/7th Ave/Van Buren would benefit from a nice roundabout with a cool center feature. It could be designed to be pedestrian friendly and also quickly process vehicles at slow speeds unlike what we have today which is a bunch of cars idling all the time.
You are not alone. We need more roundabouts, and these complex five-point intersections seem like they would benefit the most. Places farther up Grand would not be candidates due to the freight tracks, but that's not an issue at this intersection.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
I think a traffic circle just works better with a 5 road intersection.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 4:29 PM

CaliberCos buys Phoenix office campus for proposed residential conversion

More of this please...

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...value-add.html

Quote:
CaliberCos Inc. sees a big opportunity with a nearly vacant office campus.

The Scottsdale-based wealth management and real estate investment firm has acquired the more than 300,000-square-foot, two-building Canyon Corporate Center from ViaWest Group which includes two parking garages. Caliber plans to renovate the buildings and develop a minimum of 400 apartment units with the possibility of going up to 700 units as there is also a vacant site within the parcel for possible future development.

Canyon Corporate Center, currently being referred to as Canyon, is at 2510 W. Dunlap Ave and to the east of Interstate 17. It is also also minutes away from the redevelopment of the Metrocenter shopping mall.

Chris Loeffler, CEO of Caliber, said his firm has been working on the acquisition for over a year.

"We're bringing studio apartments to three-bedroom apartments into the mix, which I think will be attractive to a pretty wide range of rents," he said.

Cushman & Wakefield’s Capital Markets' Steve Lindley and Alexandra Loye represented ViaWest in the deal. In a deal with Taconic Capital Advisors, ViaWest and its project paid $27 million for the property in early 2020, according to real estate database Vizzda.

When scoping a possible office-to-multifamily conversion, Caliber looks for "an existing floor plan that makes sense for the natural layout" of an apartment. That structure, Caliber envisions, makes for a "relatively simple conversion," Loeffler said.

"Obviously we've got to cut holes and channels through all the floor plates to put in drainage and new sewer, power, etc., but it's a phenomenal starting point for us," he said.

The acquisition of the property was in the "low $20 million" range while it anticipates a minimum of $40 million of improvements planned, Caliber said.

In late 2020, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. signed a 46,735-square-foot office lease at the property but isn't occupying the space, Loeffler said. He added that Caliber is reaching out to TSMC about possibly having some of its expanding workforce live at the new-look campus, which is roughly 15 miles from its north Phoenix campus.

Caliber seeks slight zoning variance for project
Under Canyon's zoning, Loeffler said Caliber can use the property for residential purposes. It is looking to submit a variance waiver to the city of Phoenix that allows a deviation from a development standard required by the zoning ordinance. Caliber looks to start the renovations, which will be done in phases, in mid-2025 and will be ongoing through 2027, he said.

The property is also located in an Opportunity Zone, which made the deal enticing to Caliber as it has dedicated funds that raise money for projects in those zones. The company's first Opportunity Zone fund was used to close on the purchase while a second fund is being fundraised now to add equity and build out the renovations.

"When considering [the discount at which we bought the distressed asset], that's a really good starting point so that we can put the money in this necessary to do the conversion and still have a profitable outcome for our investors," Loeffler said. "These are the types of things that I think people need to do in distressed assets to be able to buy at a discount like everybody wants to. But also you have to be adding value. And if we just bought this thing as an office building and hoped it would work out better for us than it did for the last team, then that's probably not a good strategy.

"We are actively looking for other types of opportunities like this," he added.

Office conversions have been raised as a potential solution for the void left in office space across the country following the Covid-19 pandemic as employers have shifted to remote or hybrid work and significantly downsized their footprints. CBRE Group Inc. found the Phoenix metro had a dozen office conversion projects in the works or completed as of Q3 2022 totaling 1.3 million square feet, according to previous reporting.

Still, the Valley's most prominent residential conversion project has been bogged down amid complex litigation and a blizzard of lawsuits. Indeed, the fate of the One Camelback office-to-apartment conversion project offers a glimpse of what can happen when a multifamily loan matures before a development is finished. The project, designed to bring a splash of luxury to the intersection of Central Avenue and Camelback Road, stalled in the summer of 2023 after then-owner Camelback Owner LLC defaulted on a loan tied to the project.

The project's lender, a subsidiary of New York-based Acore Capital LLC, eventually bought the property at a November 2023 trustee sale with a $44 million credit bid. At the time, the conversion project was estimated to be 85% complete. While at least one building permit has been filed with the city since that time, there's been no discernible evidence that construction has restarted.

Caliber has multiple ongoing projects in the Valley. Earlier this month, Caliber updated the progress of its plans to develop Pure Pickleball & Padel — a flagship pickleball facility — that will anchor the 80-acre Riverwalk development near Scottsdale on Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community land. In June, Scottsdale's development review board recommended approval for Mercado Village — a 240,000-square-foot project that would include 255 multifamily units and 13,142 square feet of coworking space near Loop 101 and Shea Boulevard.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest