HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
The gas stove thing is up there with the "1 beer a day will give you cancer" news we got blasted with last year.

Yeah some stuff isn't great for you. But it's far more important what you are cooking and eating from your gas stove than the stove itself.
Not to mention that cooking in general releases airborne pollutants. That sear on your chicken didn't come from the aether. That's burning of carbon-based materials.

Hence, range hoods are really the solution to our cooking pollutant woes.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
....Currently there is no equally effective alternative to gas stoves. Pure electric cooktops are simply worse for responsiveness and raw heat output, and induction stoves are ineffective for cooking in anything other than ferromagnetic materials....
Sorry, but the above sounds like someone who's never actually used an induction range. We switched two years ago and all but two of our existing pots and pans work just fine with induction. I wanted to move from electric to gas for years, went to induction instead and have no regrets.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:07 PM

Quote:

On top of that DDT and asbestos definitely were not phased out because we had an equally effective alternative. DDT is a miracle pesticide that earned the scientist who first used it as an insecticide a Nobel prize. Asbestos was a miracle material used by human civilization for thousands of years. We just finally decided that the benefits were outweighed by the risks.

Currently there is no equally effective alternative to gas stoves.
Induction cooking is an acceptable alternate to gas stoves. There are restaurants who have made the switch, as well as many households.

Following your logic in the previous paragraph, it ought not to matter. Jurisdictions in the US and Europe have already concluded that the risks of allowing gas stoves is greater than the benefit. You ignored the climate change point, and instead focussed on the technical fix of trying to get everyone to use an extractor fan. The City of Vancouver concluded there was a benefit in stopping stoves in new homes until the present Council mysteriously changed their minds after meetings with Fortis.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
Sorry, but the above sounds like someone who's never actually used an induction range. We switched two years ago and all but two of our existing pots and pans work just fine with induction. I wanted to move from electric to gas for years, went to induction instead and have no regrets.
I have cookware that I currently actively use that are incompatible with induction ranges. Good luck using 100% ceramic cookware or anything without a flat bottom. I highly considered getting an induction range when I moved into my current home, but I opted for gas instead when I realised it was not going to work for my home cooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Induction cooking is an acceptable alternate to gas stoves. There are restaurants who have made the switch, as well as many households.
Not the restaurants I go to. Acceptable to some, does not mean acceptable to all.

Quote:
Following your logic in the previous paragraph, it ought not to matter. Jurisdictions in the US and Europe have already concluded that the risks of allowing gas stoves is greater than the benefit. You ignored the climate change point, and instead focussed on the technical fix of trying to get everyone to use an extractor fan. The City of Vancouver concluded there was a benefit in stopping stoves in new homes until the present Council mysteriously changed their minds after meetings with Fortis.
It's clearly not a settled debate like banning CFCs or asbestos was, then hm? I ignored the climate change point because you ignored my point about banning cars, and barbeques, and heat pumps, refrigerators, and air conditioners. Probably should throw in banning airplanes, meat, in fact all industrial agriculture, the entire petrochemical industry really, and steel, and concrete, and...

Until those are banned, which are all far worse for the environment, I'm okay with a drop in the bucket. Enforce range hoods.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Not the restaurants I go to. Acceptable to some, does not mean acceptable to all.
Do you ask what method a restaurant cooks their food with before eating there?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Do you ask what method a restaurant cooks their food with before eating there?
No, but they're very visible in the background. I think you misunderstood what I meant, I meant that clearly the restaurants I've been going to haven't switched.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion