HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 12:40 AM

Was in KWC a couple of weeks ago. After business was taken care of, decided to see some towns I'd never seen before or had only once before.

You know you're in Elmira when you see mennonites and their horses and buggies everywhere.

upload photos url

St. Jacobs

Wellesley

New Hamburg

Tavistock

Drumbo

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 1:03 AM

New Hamburg and Elmira are both nice small towns.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 1:23 AM

Was my second time in New Hamburg and third in Elmira. I wish I had time to explore the river in New Hamburg and fish.

Any town that has streets that aren't perpendicular to each other makes the centre of town more interesting. New Hamburg has those diagonal streets and for some reason, it just looks and feels more interesting. Europe would give me a sensory overload.

This week I'll be hitting up some towns outside Guelph. At least four, but upwards of seven that I have never been to. While there are a few others on the route I've already been to.

I ran out of time after KWC. Otherwise, I would have also driven to Milverton, Mitchell and Woodstock. Places I've never been to or explored.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 11:58 AM

I've seen the odd horse carriage before but I had never seen those dedicated infrastructures. I wonder if urbandreamer finally ended up marrying an amish or a mennonite girl.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2024, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I've seen the odd horse carriage before but I had never seen those dedicated infrastructures. I wonder if urbandreamer finally ended up marrying an amish or a mennonite girl.
That could explain his absence from the forum.

That shopping centre with CT and Foodland is fairly new. It's the only place I've seen something specifically for that as well.

To this day, I vividly recall passing by a mennonite school in Elmira in 2017 and seeing them play baseball. Looked straight out of the late 1800's.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a traditonal mennonite outside of that KW, Elmira, towards Stratford area. I suppose because they would only travel in horse and buggy. The group with similar dress I do see in different areas are I believe quakers. I see them travelling by large van/mini bus. In cottage country and Niagara in recent years. And talked to a couple in the town of Perth in July. I also saw them at the same shopping centre in Elmira above last year. Unless they were mennonites in that van.

Last edited by megadude; Oct 5, 2024 at 12:08 AM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2024, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
That could explain his absence from the forum.

That shopping centre with CT and Foodland is fairly new. It's the only place I've seen something specifically for that as well.

To this day, I vividly recall passing by a mennonite school in Elmira in 2017 and seeing them play baseball. Looked straight out of the late 1800's.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a traditonal mennonite outside of that KW, Elmira, towards Stratford area. I suppose because they would only travel in horse and buggy. The group with similar dress I do see in different areas are I believe quakers. I see them travelling by large van/mini bus. In cottage country and Niagara in recent years. I also saw them at the same shopping centre in Elmira above last year. Unless they were mennonites in that van.
There's a fair few around Norwich, especially to the west of 59, and while they don't have sheds like that CT they do have hitching posts at the Tim's and a few other businesses.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2024, 11:53 AM

After Guelph a couple of days ago I made my way to seven towns I'd never been to be before I made my last work stop in Orangeville, which as usual, was looking good and remains one of those nice towns that is way off peoples' radars for some reason. Also stopped in Acton to fish Fairy Lake at night because it was on the way home. Fergus and Elora were planned, but realized I didn't have time.

Listowel. Where Letterkenny is filmed.

Palmerston

Harriston

Mount Forest. Pop. of only 5k. I was blown away by how big their main street is. Kind if like how Simcoe's downtown is way bigger than you'd expect.

Arthur. Canada's most patriotic village. However, I didn't notice any Canadian flags. I thought the street would be lined with flags like Port Hope. Apparently many homes and businesses have flags hanging.

Quote:
For many it means shipping them off to Canada’s most patriotic community. This village has worn that title since 1942 when the Toronto Star reported Arthur had contributed Canada’s highest percentage of its local citizens to fight in the war.

With a population of 836, Arthur had 116 citizens in uniform overseas.
Plus, it also had the highest spending per capita in Canada for buying war bonds which helped Ottawa finance the war effort. This village bought $250,000 in war bonds, which is the equivalent of three-quarters of the community’s tax base.

https://www.dreamstime.com/welcome-s...image192217545

https://roadstories.ca/arthur-canada...iotic-village/

Grand Valley

Orangeville

Acton

Last edited by megadude; Oct 5, 2024 at 12:07 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2024, 12:50 PM

Erin. My cousin moved here three years ago from Milton. His wife's grandpa bequeathed $250k from his estate to her. Combine that with the sale of their Milton house and they got some acreage. It's a few minutes north of Acton. They have 5 kids now so the room was needed. It's a 200m driveway. Must be a PITA when it snows. He stocked trout in the pond a couple of years ago but has no idea if they're still alive.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2024, 12:59 PM

Went to the "Kissing Bridge" in West Montrose. Also passed through Elmira again to get there. Two dudes came blazing out of the driveway from a farm in front of me. Like in a chariot race. I thought they were going to go straight across the road, but they made a hard turn onto the shoulder perfectly. Not their first rodeo.

Anyway, it's just a bridge. But man, it's a cool sight. When they restore it, it might actually be less interesting. But I'm sure it's needed.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2024, 3:24 PM

Love the photo tours!

One thing I think you're off on: IIRC, Letterkenny is based on Listowel but is actually filmed in Sudbury.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada