HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Better get it funded and built before the next election if you want federal money.
I was thinking the same thing. The easy silly money is going to be drying up.
Rightly so.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I am making no commentary on the appropriateness of the name. And, for a Saint Johner, I'm sure the pronunciation is now second nature (or you still call it Loyalist Plaza).

For an out-of-towner however, who only occasionally visits the uptown area, the signage with the spelling of the name can be flummoxing. Phonetically, I know there's something about a hammock in there, but, otherwise the name is a bit of a mystery.

It could be quite interesting if you were trying to call for a taxi to pick you up there (not knowing the secrets of the pronunciation).

And, I was serious about the idea of a native cultural centre. Those things already exist in Halifax and Charlottetown. I could see one being proposed for SJ as well.
I've heard neither name very often. Most people I know say something generic like "Market Square", "Market Slip" or "The Boardwalk" to refer to the open area between the actual Market Square buildings and the area where Fundy Quay is being built. Some people use (used to use) Loyalist Plaza but it was more likely to be somebody from the city or in the media. I have yet to hear anyone refer to the area by the new name in spoken conversation other than city politicians or staff.

Saint Johners are funny about stuff like this. Eventually a name or names will come into general usage that may or may not be the official name.

There is an island between Lorneville and Partridge Island (off the irving Nature Park) that is called Manawagonish Island on charts and maps. Growing up on the westside everybody I know called it Mahogany Island.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I am making no commentary on the appropriateness of the name. And, for a Saint Johner, I'm sure the pronunciation is now second nature (or you still call it Loyalist Plaza).

For an out-of-towner however, who only occasionally visits the uptown area, the signage with the spelling of the name can be flummoxing. Phonetically, I know there's something about a hammock in there, but, otherwise the name is a bit of a mystery.

It could be quite interesting if you were trying to call for a taxi to pick you up there (not knowing the secrets of the pronunciation).

And, I was serious about the idea of a native cultural centre. Those things already exist in Halifax and Charlottetown. I could see one being proposed for SJ as well.
It will always be “the boardwalk” to locals. I tried the new name and my buddies thought I was just trying to be funny. We already had consultants that recommended “uptown” be rebranded “downtown”. And who can forget the consultant’s suggestion to rename reversing falls the “Fundy vortex”.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 7:01 PM

wrong thread

Last edited by darkharbour; Sep 5, 2024 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 12:18 PM

Hosted some out of town business colleagues last evening uptown or dinner and drinks. Most were from HRM and couldn't stop commenting how awesome the vibe is uptown and how many positive things they are hearing about the new waterfront and the development coming.

Its fantastic to see how much the image of the city has changed and this project will probably encourage even more of that.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2024, 4:06 PM

The mayor mentioned this online in an update on things:
Quote:
” 7. Fundy Quay Redevelopment
Status: Foundation work completed; building permit issued for Phase 2.
Deliverables: Site handover scheduled for Q4.”

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 1:42 PM

Glad to see building permits already issued for the second building, hopefully work starts long before the first building is done!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
Glad to see building permits already issued for the second building, hopefully work starts long before the first building is done!
I believe that Phase 2 is the second phase of the building currently under construction, not a second building.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeNB View Post
I believe that Phase 2 is the second phase of the building currently under construction, not a second building.
^ This

I certainly get the impression that this is a very slow and deliberate development vs a "get the site built out ASAP" one.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
^ This

I certainly get the impression that this is a very slow and deliberate development vs a "get the site built out ASAP" one.
My mistake, in my optimism I misread

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 10:56 AM

Quote:
My mistake, in my optimism I misread
Understandable.

Now that construction is finally underway after nearly 20 years of false starts and disappointments I think we are all anxious to see all five structures take shape. Unfortunately, as I said, I get the feeling this will not be an assembly line type project with multiple buildings underway simultaneously at various stages of completion.

I suspect they will be evaluating market conditions before commencing each stage and making adjustments as required. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Better a slow steady build out than a failed project.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:01 PM

Has anyone checked the webcam this morning, could that be a crane being delivered?

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Has anyone checked the webcam this morning, could that be a crane being delivered?
Yes mayor says crane going up

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Yes mayor says crane going up
That's not the only one!

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:32 PM

Even if they're not the biggest tower cranes, it'll be amazing to see 3 cranes in the Uptown skyline at the same time by the end of the week.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:45 PM
amalgamated

Quote:
Even if they're not the biggest tower cranes, it'll be amazing to see 3 cranes in the Uptown skyline at the same time by the end of the week.
Quite amazing…

Old Posted Today, 11:15 AM

Is there any timeline on the full harbour passage around Fundy Quay to open? Feels weird that you still can't walk all around the site yet.

Old Posted Today, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Fundy Quay, 91 King......what's the third on the uptown skyline?.....Steepleview?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces