HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:10 PM

Envision Amalgamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampduLarge View Post
Envision, I think your point about amalgamation in Saint John is a valid one. With my post I was responding to thoughts about Moncton, where I believe a forced amalgamation would be a loss to the area. Saint John could be considered more like Detroit, I would think, where a forced amalgamation would likely serve to benefit the entire urban area. I could support an amalgamation in Saint John for the very reasons you mention and my post should have been more specific.
Thanks for your reply. It’s pretty frustrating how the city/suburb dynamic works here in the Saint John Region. The province has studied the issue multiple times in the past and the conclusion is always the same, that amalgamation would result in significant savings and be good for the long term macro economic stability of the region. Yet, it never actually happens.

Saint John is unfortunately very much analogous to the Detroit Metro Area… our CMA has consistently grown over the years, while the city proper population went through multiple periods of decline.

Valley residents are overwhelmingly represented in key positions of power within the structure of the city’s governance and key institutions, and a large majority of valley residents work in Saint John.

What’s good for Saint John is good for the valley, but the converse is usually not. Yet, that’s the reality that we face. The interests of residents of the valley seem to far outweigh the interests of city residents. KV residents will never willingly suggest or vote for amalgamation, so there’s no point even discussing any sort of vote on the issue, unless it was a region wide vote.

What I find interesting is how some posters here on this forum live in Saint John, say they don’t support amalgamation because it’s “not fair to the valley”, when the reality of the current situation is not fair to the city of Saint John.

I can’t think of a better thread to discuss this topic than this one, as the stats on Halifax’s growth are within arms reach to bolster the argument for why amalgamation should occur in the Saint John Region. Amalgamation was a resounding success for Halifax, and I think it would be a resounding success for Saint John too.

If amalgamation is to happen eventually, I strongly believe that the resulting municipality should go with a name other than Saint John. Like it or not, Saint John has a bad reputation, there’s all kinds of negative stereotypes about it being a smelly, dirty, poorly run city, and unfortunately many of those stereotypes are based on at least some half truths. KV residents want absolutely nothing to do with being forced to be a part of a municipality called Saint John, but I think going with a different name, even something as simple as Fundy Regional Municipality would make amalgamation a much less bitter pill for them to swallow.

Moreover, a name other than SJRM would help deal with some of the confusion between Saint John and St. John’s which has been unavoidable since Newfoundland joined Canada in 1949. The confusion between the nearly identically named cities may not be a huge problem within Atlantic Canada, but it’s absolutely a problem for the purposes of branding and marketing when dealing with people and regions outside of Atlantic Canada. Considering tourism and immigration are top priorities for the Saint John Region, constantly being confused with another city in the same region with an almost identical name isn’t helping us— at all. A new name for the region, while the constituent communities retain their historical names is maybe our best chance for a new start.

Obviously though, the main reason for amalgamation is to bring about fairness within the region that has been sorely lacking over the past 50+ years that has seen KV’s demographic rise at the expense of Saint John’s demographic decline.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 7:07 PM

Amalgamating SJ certainly makes sense and probably should have been done. I agree a different name is probably in order as well. "Losing" the history linked to it being Canada's oldest incorporated city, a new name would probably be more unifying. Maybe try to tie into aboriginal ties, like making it the "Wolastoqey Regional Municipality" or something. SJ's current core would still be around for historical purposes of course, just like Dartmouth didn't really disappear into HRM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
Thanks for your reply. It’s pretty frustrating how the city/suburb dynamic works here in the Saint John Region. The province has studied the issue multiple times in the past and the conclusion is always the same, that amalgamation would result in significant savings and be good for the long term macro economic stability of the region. Yet, it never actually happens.

Saint John is unfortunately very much analogous to the Detroit Metro Area… our CMA has consistently grown over the years, while the city proper population went through multiple periods of decline.

Valley residents are overwhelmingly represented in key positions of power within the structure of the city’s governance and key institutions, and a large majority of valley residents work in Saint John.

What’s good for Saint John is good for the valley, but the converse is usually not. Yet, that’s the reality that we face. The interests of residents of the valley seem to far outweigh the interests of city residents. KV residents will never willingly suggest or vote for amalgamation, so there’s no point even discussing any sort of vote on the issue, unless it was a region wide vote.

What I find interesting is how some posters here on this forum live in Saint John, say they don’t support amalgamation because it’s “not fair to the valley”, when the reality of the current situation is not fair to the city of Saint John.

I can’t think of a better thread to discuss this topic than this one, as the stats on Halifax’s growth are within arms reach to bolster the argument for why amalgamation should occur in the Saint John Region. Amalgamation was a resounding success for Halifax, and I think it would be a resounding success for Saint John too.

If amalgamation is to happen eventually, I strongly believe that the resulting municipality should go with a name other than Saint John. Like it or not, Saint John has a bad reputation, there’s all kinds of negative stereotypes about it being a smelly, dirty, poorly run city, and unfortunately many of those stereotypes are based on at least some half truths. KV residents want absolutely nothing to do with being forced to be a part of a municipality called Saint John, but I think going with a different name, even something as simple as Fundy Regional Municipality would make amalgamation a much less bitter pill for them to swallow.

Moreover, a name other than SJRM would help deal with some of the confusion between Saint John and St. John’s which has been unavoidable since Newfoundland joined Canada in 1949. The confusion between the nearly identically named cities may not be a huge problem within Atlantic Canada, but it’s absolutely a problem for the purposes of branding and marketing when dealing with people and regions outside of Atlantic Canada. Considering tourism and immigration are top priorities for the Saint John Region, constantly being confused with another city in the same region with an almost identical name isn’t helping us— at all. A new name for the region, while the constituent communities retain their historical names is maybe our best chance for a new start.

Obviously though, the main reason for amalgamation is to bring about fairness within the region that has been sorely lacking over the past 50+ years that has seen KV’s demographic rise at the expense of Saint John’s demographic decline.
Please get off this confusion between Saint John and St. John's. It doesn't happen that much in Atlantic Canada or elsewhere in Canada. If anything, it's the spelling of Saint John as St. John which occurs much more often than Saint John being mistaken for St. John's or vice versa. And to your comment in a different post of myself "not getting out of Atlantic Canada much", I no longer live in the region and have lived in other provinces and in interactions with folks, there's never been an issue with them not knowing Saint John is in NB and St. John's being in NL.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Please get off this confusion between Saint John and St. John's. It doesn't happen that much in Atlantic Canada or elsewhere in Canada. If anything, it's the spelling of Saint John as St. John which occurs much more often than Saint John being mistaken for St. John's or vice versa. And to your comment in a different post of myself "not getting out of Atlantic Canada much", I no longer live in the region and have lived in other provinces and in interactions with folks, there's never been an issue with them not knowing Saint John is in NB and St. John's being in NL.
So once again you quote my entire post and only respond to the part about Saint John and St. John’s having almost identical names

Please get with reality. The two cities absolutely get confused with each other all the time. Ask any Saint Johnner how many time they’ve heard people call our city Saint John’s. The cities have nearly identical names and are within the same region of Atlantic, Canada. I’m not sure what you’re not understand here, but pretty hilarious how you chime in literally anytime I mention it.

It’s not even so much that the cities get mistaken for each other, it’s more like people who don’t know much about geography (which is the majority of people, unfortunately) don’t even realize there’s two separate SJ’s in Atlantic Canada to begin with.

If you ever experienced the converse of your situation, moving to Saint John from Western Canada, you might have a better what im talking about here.

Again, imagine if there was a Fort McMurray, Alberta and a Ft. McMurray’s, Saskatchewan, and both were cities noted for their oil industries. You don’t think anyone would find that confusing? That’s basically how similar Saint John, NB and St. John’s, NL are. It’s not like Portland, ME and Portland, OR on opposite coasts. If you don’t want to admit it’s an issue, even though it is…that’s fine. You do you.

Cheers

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Amalgamating SJ certainly makes sense and probably should have been done. I agree a different name is probably in order as well. "Losing" the history linked to it being Canada's oldest incorporated city, a new name would probably be more unifying. Maybe try to tie into aboriginal ties, like making it the "Wolastoqey Regional Municipality" or something. SJ's current core would still be around for historical purposes of course, just like Dartmouth didn't really disappear into HRM.
Exactly, Uptown Saint John would still be Uptown Saint John, even if the new regional municipality was called something else. The West Side could maybe go back to being called Lancaster. It’s not like Rothesay is going to be wiped off the map, they’ll just be contributing their fair share to the region for the first time in history. the horror…

Wolasatoq RM could work, or even drop the Regional Municipality part from the official name and simply call the entire region Wolastoq, but still follow the Halifax Regional Municipality model of amalgamation.

and No matter how much user Ozabald likes to pretend it’s not an issue, it would be great to finally do something about the branding, marketing, and notoriety issues that stem from Saint John and St. John’s having nearly identical names.

___

The only hurdle is making it an election issue and getting politicians in Fredericton to actually do something about it. The Liberals have little to risk running on a promise to amalgamate Saint John, considering that Saint John’s surrounding areas vote pretty overwhelmingly PC. If anything, it will help them pick up some seats in Saint John from the PC’s, which could help them win the election.

It’s too bad that the unequal situation between Saint John and its bedroom communities has gone on this long, is still going on, and that the same old scare tactics regarding amalgamation are still being used by people in KV and their simps in SJ to make amalgamation out to be some sort of boogeyman of unfairness or harbinger of wealth distribution, when neither could be further from the truth. It’s always been about bringing fairness to the region, nothing more— nothing less. Regional amalgamation and tax reform combined would finally give Saint John a chance to flourish. As it stands currently, the only communities flourishing are Saint John’s bedroom communities. We need a change.

Last edited by EnvisionSaintJohn; Jun 5, 2024 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 11:21 PM

Saint John has had some woefully inept mayors and councils over the past 50 years but in fairness they have also been dealt a pretty bad hand by circumstances.

I don't blame the KV for wanting nothing to do with us. In fact, I've often said (only half in jest) that I wish Millidgeville could succeed and join Rothesay. Draw a line from Cedar Point out to Somerset, follow Sam Davis, Sandy Point, Foster Thurston, Ashburn Lake and the Rothesay Rd to K Park. Everything south of the line could be West Rothesay.

Last edited by sailor734; Jun 5, 2024 at 11:36 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Saint John has had some woefully inept mayors and councils over the past 50 years.

I don't blame the KV for wanting nothing to do with us. In fact, I've often said (only half in jest) that I wish Millidgeville could succeed and join Rothesay.
Great, support amalgamation then. So that the “less inept” people from KV can run for mayor or council of the regional municipality.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 1:40 PM
New Brunswick booster!

From Stat Can

Building construction values for
Provinces in April:

NFLD $95,400,000
NS $344,300,000
NB $241,100,000
PEI $52,600,000

CMAs in April:

St. John's $79,200,000
Halifax $244,100,000
Moncton $36,400,000
Saint John $13,400,000
Fredericton $65,200,000

Breakdown:

NFLD
Residential $32,200,000
Non-residential $63,200,000

PEI
Residential $44,500,000
Non-residential $8,100,000

NS
Residential $244,500,000
Non-residential $99,800,000

NB
Residential $100,800,000
Non-residential $140,300,000

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 1:47 PM

Interesting. My main takeaways from that are:

* Halifax has almost a disproportionate amount of the construction in NS; with only roughly 1/3 of the value being outside of the city.

* New Brunswick's tricities on the other hand surprisingly don't have a similar domination; in fact the three don't even come up to half of NB's values. I wonder where the rest of the value is coming from? Bathurst and Edmundston I would assume?

* SJ's really slacking for its population size.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
From Stat Can

Provinces in April:

NFLD $95,400,000
NS $344,300,000
NB $241,100,000
PEI $52,600,000

CMAs in April:

St. John's $79,200,000
Halifax $244,100,000
Moncton $36,400,000
Saint John $13,400,000
Fredericton $65,200,000

Breakdown:

NFLD
Residential $32,200,000

PEI
Residential $44,500,000

NS
Residential $244,500,000

NB
Residential $100,800,000

Are those building permit values or a different stat

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
From Stat Can

Provinces in April:

NFLD $95,400,000
NS $344,300,000
NB $241,100,000
PEI $52,600,000

CMAs in April:

St. John's $79,200,000
Halifax $244,100,000
Moncton $36,400,000
Saint John $13,400,000
Fredericton $65,200,000

Breakdown:

NFLD
Residential $32,200,000

PEI
Residential $44,500,000

NS
Residential $244,500,000

NB
Residential $100,800,000
I wonder if Shediac alone is ahead of Saint John

What the hell, those are some very disappointing numbers for SJ.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 3:28 PM

Monthly stats for permitting is a pretty "lumpy". Annual makes a lot more sense. One project can make a month look disproportionately big when it was just a piece of paper signed.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 4:02 PM

For NB, I wonder if this is primarily in rural areas, outside of the cities. Saint John is likely lower due to more residential in the suburbs. I know Charlotte County is on fire right now with new residential builds, mostly baby boomers building their dream homes on the water.

Any way we can see the numbers outside of the three cities?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
Monthly stats for permitting is a pretty "lumpy". Annual makes a lot more sense. One project can make a month look disproportionately big when it was just a piece of paper signed.
Agreed, the Moncton CMA seems to always have weak Q1's, yet they have consistently finished in between 250-370M by year end.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 4:53 PM

Just want to make a note about SJ that according to the last update from the city back in April, Saint John has processed, (from January 2024 - March 2024), $55.1 million worth of building permit applications. (167 applications processed). Obviously right now to date it's higher but the most up to date numbers haven't been shared yet, hopefully will be at this month's Growth Committee meeting.

Like someone else mentioned, I think annual stats are better than just judging by only 1 month's worth of permits. Because it just takes one large project to make the month's stats look a lot bigger. I personally would care/pay attention more to the year-to-date numbers than just a singular month.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Just want to make a note about SJ that according to the last update from the city back in April, Saint John has processed, (from January 2024 - March 2024), $55.1 million worth of building permit applications. (167 applications processed). Obviously right now to date it's higher but the most up to date numbers haven't been shared yet, hopefully will be at this month's Growth Committee meeting.

Like someone else mentioned, I think annual stats are better than just judging by only 1 month's worth of permits. Because it just takes one large project to make the month's stats look a lot bigger. I personally would care/pay attention more to the year-to-date numbers than just a singular month.
The same with Moncton, the statcan numbers seems off.

"Moncton is currently in the midst of a construction boom, with a staggering 183 permits issued in the first quarter of the year, up to March 31, 2024. The total permit value skyrocketed to $56.5 million"

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces