HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 7:27 PM

This is good to see with the Ivey vs Engineering Hockey game being played by the women. Builds a culture and for a good cause.

https://westerngazette.ca/sports/hoc...14cc4cc6a.html

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 11:20 PM

Nice move by Sharpe to sponsor youth basketball access.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/giving-bac...gram-1.6719695

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 5:28 PM

New all season beach volleyball facility to open at London Airport.

https://lfpress.com/business/local-b...london-airport

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 7:36 PM

Anyone have details on the upgrades happening at City Wide Sports Park? Suppose to be a bunch of things including turf replacement (not sure if on both fields) in preparation for the Ontario Summer Games.

Would be nice to get a paved and expanded parking lot if possible as its a crap show often finding a spot

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
Anyone have details on the upgrades happening at City Wide Sports Park? Suppose to be a bunch of things including turf replacement (not sure if on both fields) in preparation for the Ontario Summer Games.

Would be nice to get a paved and expanded parking lot if possible as its a crap show often finding a spot
I remember when my son played LMFA football from 2011-2015, the head of the league said the city was supposed to pave the parking lot back then. Amazing how far about people feel they need to park from other cars when they are eyeballing it without lines to guide them. Not sure what work is being done but I can see the turf needing replacement, as it's about 15 years old now and does get a lot of use. Maybe a few more bleachers added would be good. I know the building was supposed to be larger originally but I doubt they will do anything with it now.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I remember when my son played LMFA football from 2011-2015, the head of the league said the city was supposed to pave the parking lot back then. Amazing how far about people feel they need to park from other cars when they are eyeballing it without lines to guide them. Not sure what work is being done but I can see the turf needing replacement, as it's about 15 years old now and does get a lot of use. Maybe a few more bleachers added would be good. I know the building was supposed to be larger originally but I doubt they will do anything with it now.
The parking lot is unchanged, massive pot holes, gravel and people parking all over the place (on the grass, etc).
Overall its a great place but paving and a small expansion of the lot would be really nice. I know for sure the turf is being replaced, not sure if its both fields or not but would assume it is the CFL side is pretty rough.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 9:23 PM

East Park adding replacing and adding new slides this year, including a "Toilet Bowl". The original slides from over 40 years ago (I remember going many times when they first opened) are finally being replaced and 2 of the popular Wally World slides have been refurbished.

https://eastparklondon.com/park-info...h-2PtYe18w4aFI

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 5:58 PM

London Majors show off new jerseys for 100th season.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/london-maj...ason-1.6881876

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 1:52 AM

London Knights sweep the Oshawa Generals to win their 5th OHL Championship. They swept 3 of their 4 playoff series and now head to their 6th Memorial Cup starting next Friday, May 24 in Saginaw Michigan.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 1:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

woot woot!

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 1:55 PM
User Registered

Dundas Street will have a viewing party for the Knights Memorial Cup games

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...arty-1.7212892

They did this when the Raptors went all the way in 2019

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 12:39 PM

The 2 football fields at Citywide Sports Park on Commissioners Rd east of Highbury are getting new artificial turf, for a little over $1.5 million.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 1:23 PM

Artificial turf has a limited shelf life especially when its outdoors and exposed to all the elements. Expect to see it being replaced again in about 8-10 years.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Artificial turf has a limited shelf life especially when its outdoors and exposed to all the elements. Expect to see it being replaced again in about 8-10 years.
My son started playing football there in 2011 and I think the turf was a year or 2 old at the time, so they did get pretty good lifespan out of it. It gets used a lot as well. Maintenance on that kind of usage of a grass field would probably have added up to much more over the years. I was actually surprised at the cost, since this is 2 fields (one NFL, one CFL size). I remember when the controversy came out at South Secondary several years ago when a private donor was going to put in an artificial field there and between the field and track, it was well over 2 million back then. He never did follow through, I think they got part of a track out of it.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 7:43 PM

Past few years it was in really rough shape, the CFL field in particular as Beefeaters play there as well.
Nice to see this being done, now if London could just find a way to get another turf field in the west or north end it would be great. Or just have a highschool convert STA / Oakridge even Beal, they could then rent out to football/soccer/etc

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 9:20 PM

I agree, Oakridge or STA would be perfect. Even Riverbend park, with lights, so the west London high schools can have a more local field for their "Friday Night Lights" games, and you can probably also get the Thunderbirds to move there from Westminster. Plus all the other uses the neighbhourhood could have there. What would also be nice at Citywide is to finally pave the parking lot. It was supposed to be done shortly after the artificial turf was put in. Money was raised from all user group towards costs for the fieldhouse and LMFA paid for the 2 scoreboards and the city was supposed to do the parking.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I agree, Oakridge or STA would be perfect. Even Riverbend park, with lights, so the west London high schools can have a more local field for their "Friday Night Lights" games, and you can probably also get the Thunderbirds to move there from Westminster. Plus all the other uses the neighbhourhood could have there. What would also be nice at Citywide is to finally pave the parking lot. It was supposed to be done shortly after the artificial turf was put in. Money was raised from all user group towards costs for the fieldhouse and LMFA paid for the 2 scoreboards and the city was supposed to do the parking.
They tried to get STA initially as a turf field with lights but NIMBY unfortunately killed that. Riverbend park could absolutely support it, granted parking might be a problem but they have everything else to make it happen.

Thunderbirds having it as their new home field would also be great, Westminster is a challenge as you likely already know.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 12:55 PM
User Registered

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...ghts-1.7222545

London beat em in the playoffs, but they came back to win the Memorial Cup

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 12:12 PM

City looking to hire a consultant to study options for Thames Park.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...hall-1.7282797

A couple of weeks ago City Staff mentioned they have been directed to explore options for a new indoor pool in the old south core area. Hopefully they look at redeveloping the Farquharson Arena site to build a new community centre, pool etc. Creative architectural design could reimagine this double pad arena into a new year around old south hub that includes an indoor pool. Should also include a couple of levels of parking either underground or on top to deal with the serious parking issues the arena now has during hockey season. Eliminating one of the ice pads would accommodate space for a indoor pool, gym, community rooms and maybe even a new library. Today the old building is only really used during hockey season in the winter months and sits mostly empty the rest of the year.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 2:21 AM

Looks like Canada Life Place will be the new name of Budweiser Gardens after the new naming rights deal is approved,

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...weiser-gardens

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation