HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 7:39 PM

Hopefully some investments will get some more passenger service.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 7:50 PM

Re: 49 year lease agreement

$400 million over 49.5 years is peanuts. The airport needs $400 million invested right now. That's $8million a year which would basically just be upkeep of the infrastructure and not really upgrading the key problems of a proper functioning terminal....That's airport terminal not bus terminal. A parallel taxiway for 12/30 and runway extension of 06/24 to allow for growth on the south side of airport rd, there's $400 million gone.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamAviMech View Post
$400 million over 49.5 years is peanuts. The airport needs $400 million invested right now. That's $8million a year which would basically just be upkeep of the infrastructure and not really upgrading the key problems of a proper functioning terminal....That's airport terminal not bus terminal. A parallel taxiway for 12/30 and runway extension of 06/24 to allow for growth on the south side of airport rd, there's $400 million gone.
It does seem like a remarkably small number.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 1:34 AM

In terms of passenger growth, I only see Flair and Porter as options for YHM as both AC and WS seem to have abandoned it for YYZ, which I think is unfortunate.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 7:02 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
That's airport terminal not bus terminal.
Ha. According to Air Canada it is one.

It's "historic" for Tradeport, and will be as long as the freight biz holds up.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 9:51 AM

The city doesn't not much right so I am not surprised they extended this. It's likely it was the easiest route to take so they took it.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 4:58 PM

Heck, Kelowna is spending more over just the next decade: https://ylw.kelowna.ca/business/projects-and-planning

"Between 2024 and 2033, YLW will invest approximately $422 million in upgrades to airport infrastructure. The expansion is funded through airport revenues and Airport Improvement Fees and is not funded by tax dollars."

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 8:04 PM

Quote:
That is $400 million of Vantage Airport Group's money.
There may be opportunities to secure government money for airport expansion projects (i.e., runways, taxiways, etc.).
That is how TradePort did it when they extended Runway 12/30 to 10,000 ft.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
In terms of passenger growth, I only see Flair and Porter as options for YHM as both AC and WS seem to have abandoned it for YYZ, which I think is unfortunate.
Porter has never mentioned Hamilton ever as a place to grow. They have two hubs in Toronto, likely won't come here, and a third in province.

Flair has a sweetheart deal in Waterloo, and has Toronto. Unless Hamilton can beat what Waterloo is offering slim chance there as well.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
Porter has never mentioned Hamilton ever as a place to grow. They have two hubs in Toronto, likely won't come here, and a third in province.

Flair has a sweetheart deal in Waterloo, and has Toronto. Unless Hamilton can beat what Waterloo is offering slim chance there as well.
Sadly, both points are very true.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 12:50 AM

I flew Play out of Hamilton recently, and it just reminded me how much I hate Pearson. Such a nice experience.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2024, 1:48 PM

Councillors want to daylight new Hamilton airport deal

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...bd2547ca9.html

City politicians have asked staff to review, redact if necessary and release a new half-century lease deal with the operator of John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport.

Barring information deemed to be proprietary, the “bulk” of the city’s arrangement with Tradeport International should be made available to the public, Coun. Brad Clark says.

Last week, after years of talks, the city announced the lease deal that’s expected to see Tradeport invest $400 million into the Mount Hope airport over the next 49 years.

City officials had aimed to renegotiate parts of the lease as early as 2014, with some not happy with passenger numbers, uncertain runway expansion plans and payments to the city under the largely confidential deal.

In 2019, Tradeport provided about $997,000 in rent payments in lieu of taxes, which was the third-lowest rate of lease fees out of 20 of Canada’s largest airports, as noted in a city report in 2020.

If they were unhappen then, they can't be happy now.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:06 AM

I wonder if a free 407 would affect Hamilton International?

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
I wonder if a free 407 would affect Hamilton International?
I really doubt it would do much. 407 only gets you as far as Burlington anyway.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure