HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:29 PM

But green roofs are not parks, they're just not. Nowhere in the city, that I'm aware of, are green roofs treated as true open public space.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
But green roofs are not parks, they're just not. Nowhere in the city, that I'm aware of, are green roofs treated as true open public space.
Technically, Millennium and Maggie Daley Parks are both green roofs.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Technically yes, but both are owned and operated by the City of Chicago as public open space. And unlike the 1901 Project renderings, both of those examples are generally accessible at-grade, without requiring visitors to climb excessive stairs or ramps.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:26 PM
TL;DR

Hard to see the entire development working with retail at the ground floor. You can't just conjure Wrigleyville out of nothing, and this is probably even more street frontage than Wrigleyville has.

The elevated parks could be deadening, BUT the UC is heavily programmed with events. If the parks include upper-level gates into the arena, then I expect the parks will be pretty lively most nights with sports fans and concert-goers. The 20th century was kind of a testing period for this sort of multi-level urbanism and there were lots of failures, but I think it's possible and unavoidable to make them work in the future. some places do it better than others (Lakeshore East, Hong Kong, etc).

Old Posted Today, 2:34 AM
Urbane observer

I wish there were a site plan to study, but it seems odd that they've put the new concert venue about as far as possible from the transit stations (existing and dreamt-of).

Old Posted Today, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I wish there were a site plan to study, but it seems odd that they've put the new concert venue about as far as possible from the transit stations (existing and dreamt-of).
The new music venue should be about 2 blocks north of the IMD station’s Damen entrance, so it shouldn’t be too bad

Also, the most siteplan-ish image I could find. Not true site plan though but it’s as good as I have. A true site plan would be so appreciated

Last edited by Jstange059; Today at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted Today, 4:05 AM

Chicago tag was added to this thread - nice!

Old Posted Today, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
true, but these "roofs" at millennium park at street level for pedestrians, given the muti-level streets in that area of downtown.

this would not be the case in the united center plan - some of the renderings show the park space is one or two stories above the street level

Old Posted Today, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
true, but these "roofs" at millennium park at street level for pedestrians, given the muti-level streets in that area of downtown.

this would not be the case in the united center plan - some of the renderings show the park space is one or two stories above the street level
Many parts of Millennium Park require climbing stairs or a ramp. The 606 also requires stairs/ramps. The High Line in NYC requires stairs/ramps. Transbay Terminal Park in San Francisco is several stories above street level. There are a lot of examples of above-grade parks in Chicago and around the country. It's a neat idea.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development