HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Looking backward, Atlanta in the 1990s had several bars and clubs that had grandfathered licenses to operate 24hrs/day. The city changed the laws, though, and they don't anymore. Sentinel, pretty funny. I'm in my early 50s now and in bed by 10pm but back in my 20s in Atlanta we wouldn't even go out until 2-3am. That was the era of underground house parties (and the rise of ecstacy).
Atlanta in the 80's thru early 2000's (my college and young adult years) nightlife was most definitely 24-7. The regular Bars/clubs didn't close until 4-5 in the morning and plus there were multiple 24 hour bar/clubs. Like Jermaine Dupri said in "Welcome to Atlanta", 'parties don't stop 'til 8 in the morning'. Though, we were mostly dancing, socializing, styling, and profiling.

I'm a night person, not as much as when younger. But like you back then, many times we wouldn't even go out 'til well after midnight. Or many times start the night with afterhour. Then either continue to party or go home for a party nap/refresh and head back out around 1-2 in the morning and party 'til the sun came up. When 4-5 o'clock bars closed, we would either discuss whether to go to one of the 24 hr spots, eat, or head home. Mayor Franklin's administration relaxed the hours in the city but DeKalb hours didn't change.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
Isn't PATCO still 24 hours?
Yes, the PATCO Speed Line runs 24 hours a day between the heart of Philadelphia and its New Jersey suburbs. There is one station in Center City that closes for four hours overnight, but the rest remain open all night.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:58 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The trend seems to signal that fewer cities will be 24/7. At least, outside of Asia, and maybe NYC.

In Canada, only Montreal comes close (and it is not 24/7, yet, although they are talking about removing the rule for bars to close at 3am).
this…anecdotally midwestern cities were closer to 24/7 10 years ago..i dont close down 3 AM bars and go to afterhours in st. louis anymore but you could get full table service meals at some restaurants (not talking about 24/7 diners..theres less of those too..but serving the service industry and late shifts) far later (after midnight) than seems available now.

Old Posted Today, 12:26 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
Isn't PATCO still 24 hours?
Great call!

So far, for non-bus 24/7 transit in the US, we have:

NYC - entire MTA subway, SIRT, PATH, LIRR and SI Ferry
Chicago - CTA red and blue lines
Philly - PATCO speed line

Last edited by Steely Dan; Today at 1:09 AM.

Old Posted Today, 1:14 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
That can't be right.

Surely some of those ultra 24/7 Asian mega-cities run their trains all night long too, right?
One could say this is a bit anecdotal I suppose, but I know from personal late night partying experience that Paris, London, Shanghai, Mexico City, and Tokyo have no 24 hour... or even what I would consider particularly late... metro service, which kind of blew my mind, especially in the case of Tokyo.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Today, 5:07 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Yes, the PATCO Speed Line runs 24 hours a day between the heart of Philadelphia and its New Jersey suburbs. There is one station in Center City that closes for four hours overnight, but the rest remain open all night.

Though with only 1 train per hour overnight, it's not much better than the typical metro line that shuts down for 3-4 hours!

Old Posted Today, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Though with only 1 train per hour overnight, it's not much better than the typical metro line that shuts down for 3-4 hours!
Assuming you are right, it is also true that most metro train lines in America don't even bother to run a train every hour overnight. It is what it is.

Old Posted Today, 6:51 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Assuming you are right, it is also true that most metro train lines in America don't even bother to run a train every hour overnight. It is what it is.
I mean, bus service probably makes more sense at night in most cases that don't involve water crossings or freeway median running. High capacity is not needed, and there is typically little traffic so the bus can be quite fast. Plus it makes it easier to do maintenance...

Old Posted Today, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
One could say this is a bit anecdotal I suppose, but I know from personal late night partying experience that Paris, London, Shanghai, Mexico City, and Tokyo have no 24 hour... or even what I would consider particularly late... metro service, which kind of blew my mind, especially in the case of Tokyo.
According to this, London has five Tube lines that run 24-hour service on Fridays and Saturdays: Victoria, Central, Jubilee, Northern and Piccadilly lines

Old Posted Today, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
That can't be right.

Surely some of those ultra 24/7 Asian mega-cities run their trains all night long too, right?
I don't think there are any 24/7 systems in Asia. I've been to Tokyo and Seoul so I can confirm first hand that those systems close around midnight - 1am. The systems in China likely close about the same time.

Old Posted Today, 2:11 PM

Everything is in retrograde so far as 24-hour activity. Dance clubs, bars, 24-hour diners are all in decline, all over the place.

There used to be such thing as an after-hours club but now there aren't even...clubs. There probably are still a handful of illegal after-hours bars but those weren't super-hard to hear about and get invited to in the recent past.

Old Posted Today, 2:18 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I think it sounds excellent considering that PATCO is more like an advanced suburban commuter line than a metro line. And there are a lot of commuter lines that don't even run more than hourly in daytime off-peak.

Old Posted Today, 2:40 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
yep looks like its back to 24hrs post covid — this was the latest schedule on the website—

http://ridepatco.org/pdf/PATCO_Timetable_2023-11-25.pdf

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions