HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 6:20 PM

Also ATL had the 3ed highest growth in numbers at 68,585. Dallas and Houston killed it.

Damn if Dallas want pass Chicago either by or not long after the 2030 census.

EDIT: ATL wanta be did really well at 50,458.

Little surprised at Austin and Phoenix. Not bad but kinda expected more.

Last edited by Julien; Mar 14, 2024 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 7:07 PM
Back on the road again

Yes, a few decades ago the Dallas Houston Miami and Atlanta metros were roughly the same size. The two big Texas metros have just exploded since then and pulled away from the Atlanta and Miami metros. Similarly but on a smaller scale the Atlanta metro has pulled ahead of the Miami metro by increasing amounts.

Metro Miami was slightly larger than Metro Atlanta in the 2020 census, but metro Atlanta is estimated by the Census to be about 125,000 larger than metro Miami as of last July.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 12:50 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Wikipedia needs updating. It is embarrassing now being listed as #8.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrop...atistical_area
Anyone can edit wikipedia. I updated the Metro Atlanta article first couple paragraphs to show the updated info.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 12:53 PM

It’s inevitable the Texas cities will become very huge. They’re surrounded by flat, empty expanses, while Atlanta has hills, creeks, small towns, and oddly shaped plots going back a couple hundred years. Makes everything from major infrastructure to mass residential development more difficult.

Regardless, I wouldn’t want to trade places with either one!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 1:01 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
It’s inevitable the Texas cities will become very huge. They’re surrounded by flat, empty expanses, while Atlanta has hills, creeks, small towns, and oddly shaped plots going back a couple hundred years. Makes everything from major infrastructure to mass residential development more difficult.

Regardless, I wouldn’t want to trade places with either one!
That's exactly how I feel too. If the metro areas of Austin and San Antonio are to combine that's several decades down the road, IMO.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 11:08 AM

Wikipedia was updated (someone here???)

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 1:54 PM

Adding a bit more Georgia context to the above posts.
newly released census estimates show that Atlanta was the 6th fastest growing city in the county between July 1, 2022, and July 1, 2023, adding 12,052 people.

By percentage, Warner Robins was top in GA with 2.9% growth in that one year period, while Atlanta was 2.4% growth. Almost every other city over 50,000 people in GA lost population, including Columbus, Augusta, Savannah, Sandy Springs, Roswell, Johns Creek, Alpharetta, and Albany.

You can explore some of the data by state here.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Adding a bit more Georgia context to the above posts.
newly released census estimates show that Atlanta was the 6th fastest growing city in the county between July 1, 2022, and July 1, 2023, adding 12,052 people.

By percentage, Warner Robins was top in GA with 2.9% growth in that one year period, while Atlanta was 2.4% growth. Almost every other city over 50,000 people in GA lost population, including Columbus, Augusta, Savannah, Sandy Springs, Roswell, Johns Creek, Alpharetta, and Albany.

You can explore some of the data by state here.
I believe population loss (overall) is due to young people moving to more urbanized areas and older folks who are empty nesters keeping suburban homes. I’m sure other trends are in play however I believe this is a big factor.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I believe population loss (overall) is due to young people moving to more urbanized areas and older folks who are empty nesters keeping suburban homes. I’m sure other trends are in play however I believe this is a big factor.
Long term decrease in household size has a huge impact on towns that are fully built-out.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:43 PM

ARC 2024 Population Estimates

https://33n.atlantaregional.com/popu...ng-but-growing
Quote:
The 11-county Atlanta region added 62,700 residents between April 2023 and April 2024, bringing the total population to 5.2 million, according to 2024 population estimates released today by the Atlanta Regional Commission. The ARC Board is expected to vote on the estimates at its next meeting, on Aug. 28.

The 11-county region’s growth slowed a bit compared to 2022-23, when the region added 66,730 people. This reflects a slowdown in housing permit activity and a slight moderation in jobs growth. High housing prices have also acted as a brake on population growth.

The fastest rate of growth in the past year occurred in the City of Atlanta (2.1%), which added 10,800 people, followed by Cherokee County (1.9%), which added 5,400 people, and Henry County (1.8%), which added 4,750.

Each of metro Atlanta’s 11 counties saw population increases in the past year. Fulton County, including the City of Atlanta, added 17,400 residents, the largest numeric increase in the region, followed by Gwinnett (14,900), Cobb (6,700) and Cherokee (5,400). Gwinnett’s population topped 1 million for the first time and now totals 1,012,112.

The City of Atlanta once again led the region in number of building permits issued, with 7,621 – 85% of which were for multifamily housing units. Gwinnett had the second-most permits issued at 5,423, followed by Cobb at 2,956 and DeKalb at 2,276.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:17 PM

Some really positive news and glad to see the city leading the list. Kinda embarrassing being the 6th largest metro while being a measly 37th largest city. Also while running I'm always concerned with all the apt buildings going up as to who will fill them. Glad to see the numbers of people moving into the city.

I suspect that Gen-Z and Alpha will reject the sterile monoculture (or lack there of) burbs and be more interesting in living in the mix of a city. So far it seems ATL is positioning itself pretty well for that roll.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta