HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 11, 2024, 3:17 AM

I'm Back!

I have a mystery location to try and solve.

Marshall Apartment House, Pasadena or Los Angeles [no date]

eBay

Here's a closer look at the sign above the porch.

I believe THIS is the same house but without the sign.

Help me out noirishers.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2024, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I'm Back!

eBay

Here's a closer look at the sign above the porch.

I believe THIS is the same house but without the sign.

Help me out noirishers.

The 1928 CD has Marshall Apts at 1330 W 11th st downtown, and various newspapers have Marshall apartments at 34 Magnolia Ave in Long Beach and at 129 S Benita in Redondo Beach. Only the first address still exists, and is not a good match for e_r's photo.

Last edited by Lorendoc; Oct 11, 2024 at 8:07 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2024, 10:52 PM

The Long Beach one was four stories tall (a boy hanging up laundry on the clothes line on the roof fell through a duct and . . . didn't live to tell about it), so we can rule that one out too.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2024, 4:25 AM

This page has a map showing Redondo Beach's Benita Avenue. It's right by the harbor in an area that's been redeveloped.

https://lastreetnames.com/street/catalina-avenue/

Last edited by Mackerm; Oct 12, 2024 at 7:25 AM. Reason: Changed street to avenue

Old Posted Oct 12, 2024, 1:24 PM

Quote:
I'm Back!

eBay
According to the seller the rear of another picture in that ebay "Marshall Apts." series lists the address as 244 S. Euclid Ave. Pasadena.

Which tallies with the directory.

loc.gov -Pasadena Telephone Directory 1935

It was demolished along with the surrounding buildings in about 1980.

Another picture from the album showing nearby houses.

ebay

So on a 1956 aerial, I'm guessing this may be 244 arrowed with the two other houses in the picture immediately to the north of it.

mil.library.ucsb.edu

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Oct 13, 2024 at 12:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2024, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
Hopping into the wayback machine for a moment, this early (ca. late 1870's) Watkins photo on the HDL site of Sonora Town caught my eye (sorry if it's been posted before) of the area, including the S.P.R.R. Depot in the distance. The neighborhood seems orderly and quiet.

https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/c...d/23479/rec/81

A close-up of the wall has the street name painted on it, I can't quite make it out, and I'm fumbling trying to find a street map to confirm. Any help?

https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/s...ion/mode/exact
I can't make out the writing either, but using the street railway tracks as a guide, I think we're looking north on Buena Vista
(later, North Broadway) at Bellevue Avenue (later, Sunset Blvd.) This very cool 1885 map shows the path of the street railway
with a dotted line, and I've arrowed Bellevue and Buena Vista:

164400 @ HDL

In the HDL photo I noticed this building in the distance, which seems to have had a bad fire. I wonder what that structure was?

HU12TD49 @ HDL

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Oct 14, 2024 at 6:31 AM. Reason: add link

Old Posted Oct 15, 2024, 4:19 AM

Thanks Fw, very cool map indeed!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2024, 8:09 PM

Noir Noir

Thanks for your help, Noir Noir. : -) ..I appreciate it.

Thanks to Lorendoc & odinthor as well.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 15, 2024 at 8:36 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2024, 9:16 PM

I could use some help again.

I've been trying to figure out where silent film star Viola Dana had a farm ee eye ee eye oh.

Judging by the description it was fairly close Hollywood. ..Any ideas?

Help me out noirishers!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2024, 12:03 PM

One from Reddit

I just stumbled across this post on Reddit:

Quote:
A relative snapped this photo while leaning over the side of a Curtis Jenny (JN-4) biplane in 1920.

I'm trying to pinpoint the exact location. Does anyone recognize that court/roundabout area?

Back of the photo:

Maybe it's somewhere near “DE MILLE FIELD NO. 3”..?

Here are the links to the much larger, full-sized images:

https://i.imgur.com/e6hDnR3.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/S5Lmcvo.jpeg

Old Posted Oct 16, 2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I could use some help again.

I've been trying to figure out where silent film star Viola Dana had a farm ee eye ee eye oh.

Judging by the description it was fairly close Hollywood. ..Any ideas?

Help me out noirishers!

Don't have a specific address. Those shoes seem awfully nice for poultry farming. Did the outfit come directly from the wardrobe department?

https://external-content.duckduckgo....eeb&ipo=images

https://ilarge.lisimg.com/image/5357...viola-dana.jpg

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=8688

Last edited by Godzilla; Oct 16, 2024 at 12:33 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2024, 7:10 PM

The photos of Viola Dana and then the aviation photos brought to mind an episode of the 1980 brilliant documentary series Hollywood (aka Hollywood: A Celebration of the American Silent Film) by historian Kevin Brownlow and narrated by James Mason. It was 13 hour long episodes. In one of them, Viola Dana is interviewed. Her beau was a stunt pilot and she recalls his tragic end while filming at night. While she's being interviewed her demeanor changes as though it was yesterday and it is so affecting. It was likely filmed at one of these De Mille airfields.

(Godzilla's last link above has some info about this.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
[...]

Maybe it's somewhere near “DE MILLE FIELD NO. 3”...?
The above where it says "Issued by: Rogers" made me wonder if it had anything to do with the Rogers airport. (Rogers Airport, operated by Rogers Aircraft, Inc., opened in 1918 as Charles Chaplin's Chaplin Airdrome at the northwest corner of Wilshire Boulevard & Crescent Avenue--now Fairfax Avenue.)

If one is trying to find the address of De Mille Field No. 3, that is interesting as Nos. 1 & 2 come up a lot, but No. 3...?

De Mille Field No. 1: Built by Cecil B. DeMille in 1918, located at the southwest corner of Melrose Avenue and Crescent (Fairfax) Avenue, across the street from the current Fairfax High School. In 1920 it was closed and moved to DeMille Field No. 2.

De Mille Field No. 2: Also called Mercury Field, this was at the northwest corner of Lindenhurst Ave and Crescent (Fairfax) Avenue. It was just north of Sydney Chaplin's Airport. Cecil B. DeMille used DeMille Field No. 2 for some of his silent picture films. In August, 1920, two stunt pilots were killed at DeMille Field No. 2: Ormer "Lock" Locklear [see viola Dana reference above] and Milton "Skeets" Elliott, in the making of The Skywayman. Mercury Aviation Company had a unique gas station at Crescent (Fairfax) and Wilshire. One side filled up cars the other side filled up aircraft. DeMille Field No. 2 was the site of the first passenger plane to land from New York City.

De Mille Field No. 3: I found this on Calisphere...

As illustrated in the picture, DeMille operated three fields in the LA area. #2 (not shown) was north of the Wilshire/Fairfax intersection. At the time (early 1920s), DeMille was the largest aviation operator in the LA area and his thoughts began to turn toward the establishment of a scheduled airline to San Francisco and San Diego".

You can make out De Mille Field No. 3 north of Pasadena, apparently next to the Altadena Golf Course. Wikipedia notes this airfield as the "Eaton Altadena Airport, built by Mercury Aviation Company in Altadena, California, located at 1347 East Mendocino Street. The airport also served nearby Pasadena, California. Eaton Altadena had much less service than Field No. 2. The site is now the Altadena Town & Country Club.

These airfields, the name changes and similar locations mean various sources have slightly different (or confusing) information, so I can't say for sure everything i posted above is 100% accurate.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Oct 16, 2024 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2024, 7:23 PM

Sentous Block, Classic Cars on North Spring Street, July 1957

A color slide from 1957 showing the Sentous Block and some classic cars. In the foreground is a 1957 DeSoto Adventurer. Parked curbside beside the Sentous Block is what looks to be a '54 Nash Ambassador. Parked under the TWA Constellation billboard is a '47 Studebaker Champion Commander (or something similar with horizontal taillights).

Source: https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/i.../0/default.jpg

Last edited by Engineeral; Oct 16, 2024 at 7:25 PM. Reason: added the source

Old Posted Oct 16, 2024, 8:26 PM

A little more on De Mille Field No. 3:

Aeronautical Bulletin, 1925, p. 14

Old Posted Oct 16, 2024, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
The photos of Viola Dana and then the aviation photos brought to mind an episode of the 1980 brilliant documentary series Hollywood (aka Hollywood: A Celebration of the American Silent Film) by historian Kevin Brownlow and narrated by James Mason. It was 13 hour long episodes. In one of them, Viola Dana is interviewed. Her beau was a stunt pilot and she recalls his tragic end while filming at night. While she's being interviewed her demeanor changes as though it was yesterday and it is so affecting. It was likely filmed at one of these De Mille airfields.

(Godzilla's last link above has some info about this.)

The above where it says "Issued by: Rogers" made me wonder if it had anything to do with the Rogers airport. (Rogers Airport, operated by Rogers Aircraft, Inc., opened in 1918 as Charles Chaplin's Chaplin Airdrome at the northwest corner of Wilshire Boulevard & Crescent Avenue--now Fairfax Avenue.)

If one is trying to find the address of De Mille Field No. 3, that is interesting as Nos. 1 & 2 come up a lot, but No. 3...?

De Mille Field No. 1: Built by Cecil B. DeMille in 1918, located at the southwest corner of Melrose Avenue and Crescent (Fairfax) Avenue, across the street from the current Fairfax High School. In 1920 it was closed and moved to DeMille Field No. 2.

De Mille Field No. 2: Also called Mercury Field, this was at the northwest corner of Lindenhurst Ave and Crescent (Fairfax) Avenue. It was just north of Sydney Chaplin's Airport. Cecil B. DeMille used DeMille Field No. 2 for some of his silent picture films. In August, 1920, two stunt pilots were killed at DeMille Field No. 2: Ormer "Lock" Locklear [see viola Dana reference above] and Milton "Skeets" Elliott, in the making of The Skywayman. Mercury Aviation Company had a unique gas station at Crescent (Fairfax) and Wilshire. One side filled up cars the other side filled up aircraft. DeMille Field No. 2 was the site of the first passenger plane to land from New York City.

De Mille Field No. 3: I found this on Calisphere...

As illustrated in the picture, DeMille operated three fields in the LA area. #2 (not shown) was north of the Wilshire/Fairfax intersection. At the time (early 1920s), DeMille was the largest aviation operator in the LA area and his thoughts began to turn toward the establishment of a scheduled airline to San Francisco and San Diego".

You can make out De Mille Field No. 3 north of Pasadena, apparently next to the Altadena Golf Course. Wikipedia notes this airfield as the "Eaton Altadena Airport, built by Mercury Aviation Company in Altadena, California, located at 1347 East Mendocino Street. The airport also served nearby Pasadena, California. Eaton Altadena had much less service than Field No. 2. The site is now the Altadena Town & Country Club.

These airfields, the name changes and similar locations mean various sources have slightly different (or confusing) information, so I can't say for sure everything i posted above is 100% accurate.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=8681

Old Posted Oct 16, 2024, 11:22 PM

Re: Viola Dana, the film referenced, "Along Came Ruth", was a 1924 release....the 1923 CD has her at 1346 N. Harper Ave. in what is now West Hollywood...

1346 N. Harper is now a condo building.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2024, 12:31 AM

So interesting about DeMille Field. I had pretty much forgotten all about it.

Thanks for all the follow-ups on the Viola Dana - Chicken Farm mystery, noirishers.

Odinthor mentioned this (below) which I thought was quite interesting.

"I'm concentrating on the time around 1921 because there's a story in the LA Times about her having a pet chicken, and fans sending her other such fowl. She was shooting a movie or two at that time having a rural setting; and I'm wondering if it's just the studio's lot or shooting location where her "farm" (perhaps the fictional farm of the film) was. But I'm still looking into this. I did post just a little thing about De Mille Field No. 3."

He also informed me that Viola Dana's address in 1922 was 6533 Hollywood Blvd. (the building is still there)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 17, 2024 at 12:48 AM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2024, 1:18 AM

Amazon

Cullen Landis Viola Dana And Bruce Guerin

Old Posted Oct 17, 2024, 1:08 PM

Back of the photo:

Maybe it's somewhere near “DE MILLE FIELD NO. 3”..?

Here are the links to the much larger, full-sized images:

https://i.imgur.com/e6hDnR3.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/S5Lmcvo.jpeg
[/QUOTE]

Robert Schuyler Van Rensselaer?

Quote:
Van Rensselaer, Robert Schuyler (1899-1972) (Lived in Los Angeles)

Best known as the artist of the cartoon character Saving Sam featured in national ads of Western Auto Supply, R. S. Van Rensselaer was born in Chicago, Ill., on Sept. 19, 1899. Van Rensselaer came to Los Angeles in 1902 with his family from Chicago. By 1910 he was residing in Glendora, Ca., with his parents and sister.

He was educated in Los Angeles schools, completing Manual Arts High School in 1917. In 1918 he was cartoonist for the Examiner after which he established his own commercial art business. ..
https://www.askart.com/artist/artist...83/artist.aspx

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos