HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I've always found the degree to which native peoples seem to appreciate punk/metal to be interesting. I went to a metal show in Arizona recently for the first time in probably a decade and was surprised again at the demographically over-represented native crowd. This native news outlet mentions one take:

https://ictnews.org/news/punk-band-n...be-bad-indians
I imagine that being raised on some of these reservations must suck. You're often out in the middle of nowhere (although the topic of this thread is the complete opposite), no bands or anything exciting ever visits, job prospects are dim, and the adults seem cheesy and hypocritical.

It's always a head-scratcher when people from across the world (i.e. Japan) get into American music that they can't possibly really understand. Not only are they not native English speakers, even if they're fluent they can't really get the Christian/Catholic or Cold War-era references in a lot of 1980s and 90s metal. A lot of punk references are pretty specific, too, or maybe just a play on words that doesn’t make any sense to people who don’t understand English.

Last edited by jmecklenborg; Jul 31, 2024 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 1:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
I imagine that being raised on some of these reservations must suck. You're often out in the middle of nowhere (although the topic of this thread is the complete opposite), no bands or anything exciting ever visits, job prospects are dim, and the adults seem cheesy and hypocritical.
In most Indigenous communities in Canada, I think the kids might be relieved if the main bad thing about the adults in their midst was that they were only cheesy and hypocritical.

I suspect things are probably the same on most reservations in the US.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 1:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I've always found the degree to which native peoples seem to appreciate punk/metal to be interesting. I went to a metal show in Arizona recently for the first time in probably a decade and was surprised again at the demographically over-represented native crowd. This native news outlet mentions one take:

https://ictnews.org/news/punk-band-n...be-bad-indians
When I was a teen and young adult I went to a lot of hard rock and heavy metal shows in cities in my part of Canada.

There were always very noticeable large groups of kids from Indigenous communities maybe an hour or two away, and buses parked outside waiting to take them back home.

It was the one of the only regular in-person appearances Indigenous people would make in my world-view of the time.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions