HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:34 PM

The best first step towards fixing rail travel in the US and Canada (and Mexico) would be to nationalize the track and rebalance the power relations between freight and passenger rail services on those tracks.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:43 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I don't see why local and state governments would need to raise general property tax rates just to offset losing railway property tax. Not only because that wouldn't be that big a percentage of their revenue, but because governments can choose how they collect revenue. Corporate, capital gains, payroll, levies/fees, and property taxes are all options that many use, not just property tax. If the railroads remained private companies operating on the now public infrastructure, jurisdictions could just apply a railroad operations fee or something in a level equivalent to what they were getting from property tax. Or if rail operations were fully public there's no reason the federal government couldn't share some of the operational profits with other levels of government.

Old Posted Today, 5:27 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectionNorth View Post
I know how property tax works, you are being presumptuous here.

And I would like to see an "extra property tax on me forever." A more reliable TTC, shorter TCHC wait times, better maintained parks, proper public realm, recreation facilities, and social services? The QoL improvement would be worth the cost.

And you haven't mentioned any of my other points.
Did you not read my earlier response? Public owned does not mean Federal owned. Every penny lost going to a nationalized railroad is one less penny for your parks, hospitals, schools, and social services.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation