HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 7:52 PM

I don't comment here often, but we're all best to ignore this fellow with his own set of statistics that he doesn't share. I agree that when someone is presented with data they don't like and they simply say "I don't believe" it's time to move on, he is not discussing things in good fait. We have a nice community here and this troll needs to go.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
There is no point in having a conversation with this person anymore.

As soon as they said they "disagree" with official numbers as if it were an opinion on what the tax rate should be it was clear to me this person doesn't want an actual conversation.

The original claim was that attendance was in decline in universities in NB. I demonstrated over the last 6 years that is a false claim. Then they suddenly shifted to look further back in the past and that international students don't count. The goal posts will just move no matter what is presented.
I vowed to leave but since nobody on this thread seems to have Google. I will provide a link giving you all of the information. Here it is including the foreign student numbers. I am not wasting any more time on this. https://www.stu.ca/media/stu/site-co...uary-2023-.pdf Take look at Appendix C. All of the data is in there and supports what I have been saying but I think it is actually worse than this but I am not breaking it out further.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampduLarge View Post
I don't comment here often, but we're all best to ignore this fellow with his own set of statistics that he doesn't share. I agree that when someone is presented with data they don't like and they simply say "I don't believe" it's time to move on, he is not discussing things in good fait. We have a nice community here and this troll needs to go.
The point is that the enrolment numbers, generally in decline, do not support a financial case for the investment in additional university spaces especially if institutions are relying on foreign students for their enrolment numbers increasing short term and that is a very unstable and unreliable metric. I am not moving the goalposts at all. If there is a slight post covid increase it is also not a basis to make such an investment.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2024, 12:36 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

I don't particularly feel like wading into the topic of the merits of another university. However the question of enrolment numbers is apparently a pretty fuzzy one.

Just in five minutes of Googling, depending on whether you look at Fall term, full year, undergraduate or all students, full or part time, etc., there's a lot of variation.

https://www.atlanticuniversities.ca/...2-3-FTPT-2.pdf
The Association of Atlantic Universities

https://www.unb.ca/finance/_assets/d...y-combined.pdf
UNB's Office of Institutional Analysis

https://www.mphec.ca/media/226169/Ta..._2022-2023.pdf
Maritime Provinces Higher Education Commission

https://www.stu.ca/media/stu/site-co...uary-2023-.pdf
St Thomas University

Supplementary to that, it's worth looking that the school enrolment statistics coming up to university age.

https://asdeast.nbed.ca/wp-content/u...ch-21-2023.pdf

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/...-2020-2021.pdf

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevelopmentAndy View Post
I am not believing those numbers one bit, they are speaking English taking into account the bias that will clearly be present. So, yes those numbers are probably what people responded and those going back to a French speaking country may be speaking French; otherwise, people are saying one thing and many are doing another.
Is that your takeaway from these stats? They do indeed debunk the thought that French is mostly unused by UMoncton graduates, but that English is also very much in use.

A quick argument for the use of French - think of all the healthcare workers graduating from the institution who mostly go to Vitalité (mostly in French) and all the graduating teachers who mostly go to the French district school boards (only in French). The fact that 70% of graduates go back to their county (not country) of origin shows that their native language is very present in their professional lives.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 2:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is an abundance of francophone educational resources in the greater Moncton area.

The situation is much more muddied on the anglophone side. An anglophone UNB campus in greater Moncton remains quite necessary (either that or an urban campus of MTA, but, I don't think they are interested).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There is an abundance of francophone educational resources in the greater Moncton area.

The situation is much more muddied on the anglophone side. An anglophone UNB campus in greater Moncton remains quite necessary (either that or an urban campus of MTA, but, I don't think they are interested).
I think you're right about their lack of interest in a Moncton campus - money also being a factor. But I am encouraged about UNB wanting to expand their offerings in Moncton. A new downtown location with expanded programs is a start, and maybe somewhere down the road we could see another expansion.

I'd really like to see them opt for 1222 Main Street, but somehow I don't think it'll happen.

Like I said before, is that building even on UNB's radar? Is Crombie even aware that UNB has expressed an interest in expanding in Moncton? Even if they are aware, would they be pro-active and approach UNB about 1222 Main Street?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 3:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Like I said before, is that building even on UNB's radar? Is Crombie even aware that UNB has expressed an interest in expanding in Moncton? Even if they are aware, would they be pro-active and approach UNB about 1222 Main Street?
All very good questions................

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 11:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

City of Moncton press release:

Moncton Reports Strong Building Permit Activity in the Second Quarter of 2024
2024-07-08

The City of Moncton has experienced a significant surge in building permit activity for the second quarter of 2024. A total of 437 permits were issued, representing a combined value of $92.2 million. Year to date, the total building permit value stands at $148.6 million, marking a 50 per cent increase compared to the same period last year, which was valued at $99 million.

The residential sector continues to thrive, with 152 permits issued, creating 306 new residential units. The total value of these residential projects amounted to $48.1 million, which accounts for 52 per cent of the second quarter’s building permit volume. Notable projects include a $16.6 million, 123-unit apartment building at 310 Millennium Blvd. and a $13.2 million, 87-unit apartment building at 161 Leopold F. Belliveau Dr.

Investment in institutional and government infrastructure also saw significant growth, with 21 permits issued totaling $12.2 million. A major highlight in this category is the $4.4 million excavation, ground works, and site preparation for phase 2 of the Atlantic Science Centre project at 343 Université Ave. and a $1.1 million renovation to accommodate a Wee College daycare at 260 MacNaughton Ave.

Commercial and industrial construction permits were robust, with 51 permits valued at $29.9 million, representing 32 per cent of the second quarter's building permit volume. Significant projects include the $8.8 million renovation of a 129,000 sq. ft. warehouse at 25 Trinity Dr. by U-Haul and a $5.2 million construction of a 41,000 sq. ft. warehouse for Gentek Building Supplies at 111 Desbrisay Ave.

“The strong building permit values we’ve seen this quarter highlight the confidence investors and developers have in Moncton’s potential,” says Kevin Silliker, director of economic development for the City of Moncton. “These projects are not just numbers: they represent homes, jobs, and opportunities for our community. We are dedicated to supporting this momentum and ensuring that Moncton remains an attractive destination for business and investment.”

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 11:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here is the agenda for the July meeting of the Moncton PAC.

https://www5.moncton.ca/docs/pac/PAC...24_juillet.pdf

Pretty slim pickings, and, nothing worth posting

There is a disconnect between the meagre PAC offerings and the robust building permit numbers. I presume this is because the vast majority of building permits issued are either being issued "as of right", or, for previously approved projects.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces