HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I walked Peachtree & Spring St, nothing about it feels unsafe to me, maybe if they added some on street parking people would feel safer

But im not gonna keep lamenting on the topic. Im just giving a different perspective, if any of you have lived up north before you would understand what im saying. Point blank
You'll find urban advocates in Atlanta are touchy about things like parking. It comes with the territory of being under the thumb of an anti-urban state always cutting transit and doing stuff to expressly benefit the suburbs and rural communities, at the city's expense, even though Atlanta and especially the city proper is by far the economic engine of the whole state.

In this case, I don't think more street parking in Midtown would help. DC/Philly have a huge amount of sidewalk parking but few parking decks. So to get where you want to go, you have to drive around looking for parking, and once you find it, you're very hesitant to move. So you spend a lot of time in the neighborhood and walk to multiple different businesses.

In Midtown Atlanta, you've got garages everywhere. You must park in the exact garage for the business you're going to, and you'll probably get 2 hours of parking with purchase from the businesses. So, people don't hang out and walk around the area anywhere near as much. It's quite expensive to use one of the garages to just park for the afternoon.

I encourage you to check out the eastside beltline/O4W, Inman Park, Virginia Highland, Little 5, Decatur, etc. These neighborhoods are a lot more like what you're describing, have more street parking/foot traffic than Midtown, and are imo the spiritual heart of Atlanta, moreso than Midtown/Downtown/Buckhead.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta