HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new kid in town View Post

I imagine such projects would involve local and provincial funding? Would it include federal?

The reason I'm asking is from what I know, Fredericton also having issues about needing a 3rd bridge? Not sure being the provincial capital gives Freddy some priority (and yet still can't make it), or whether Moncton's rapid growth and economic pull might help us get the 3rd bridge first?

Or maybe these are only tangential and the deciding factors are entirely different, I'm happy to be educated on the matter.
Wish I could get more (and up to date) stats: In 2019, the Westmorland Street Bridge saw about 52,000 vehicles a day, and the Princess Margaret Bridge about 21,500. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...idge-1.7065115

Trying to find some stats for the Moncton Region. Perhaps others will have more luck.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
Wish I could get more (and up to date) stats: In 2019, the Westmorland Street Bridge saw about 52,000 vehicles a day, and the Princess Margaret Bridge about 21,500. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...idge-1.7065115

Trying to find some stats for the Moncton Region. Perhaps others will have more luck.
I found this

In 2018, the province estimated about 27,500 vehicles cross the causeway daily, while about 26,500 vehicles cross the Gunningsville Bridge.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 4:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
In 2018, the province estimated about 27,500 vehicles cross the causeway daily, while about 26,500 vehicles cross the Gunningsville Bridge.
Yes, congestion is not the issue, convenience is.

Between the two bridges, we have eight lanes of traffic between Moncton and Riverview. There are only seven lanes between Halifax and Dartmouth.

Where congestion arises is on the Moncton side after traffic is dumped downtown from the Gunningsville Bridge. There it mixes with traffic on the north side of the river, which can be problematic, especially along Main/Champlain between Moncton and Dieppe.

This is where an eastern bypass might be helpful, especially for traffic just interested in getting from the eastern end of the metro area to east end Riverview (including summertime tourism traffic).

I freely admit that traffic problems are more acute in Fredericton, and, that they should get their third bridge before us.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 6:15 PM

Fredericton and Moncton's 3rd bridge issues are very similar. Both cities have 2 bridges, but the main problem is that one of their bridges basically dumps the traffic right into a dense core that has a hard time handling the volume. Freddy's issues with Westemoreland feel a bit more dire, since we have a Freeway shooting right into the core, whereas Moncton's more core adjacent; but the situations still feel very similar.

Freddy's 3rd bridge is certainly going to need at least Provincial support, since I think both the 105 and the old TCH (where we figure it will link up) are both provincial highways I think; and a big project like that would certainly need provincial help. I doubt we'll need Federal help aside from generic road programs, which may be a good thing considering the direction the governments are going in. With Higgs and Trudeau both probably on the outs, we're likely going to get a more pro-bridge Provincial government, but support from the Feds will likely be a tough sell.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 7:12 PM

Thanks for the amazing inputs guys. The vehicle stats are a brilliant metric, but all we have right now are pre-pandemic stats. I have to wonder how much Moncton's has increased in the last 6 years (considering the population growth between circa '22-'23 alone outstrips growth for 2 decades, was it?)

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 7:57 PM

The thing about traffic congestion is that it's getting worse. I've really noticed it in Riverview on Coverdale & Hillsborough Roads - the "main drag". As time goes by, even more people/cars will be added to the mix.

In the east end of town, MoeMar is building like crazy with more apartment buildings coming on line in the future.

In central Riverview, there are numerous apartment buildings currently under construction including the large ICON development, with more planned for the future.

The Gunningsville bridge will continue dumping traffic into downtown Moncton at an increasing rate. I don't know when it will happen, but eventually a 3rd crossing will absolutely be needed.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 10:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

ICON is already pouring the foundation of the first building in this complex:

They are most definitely not wasting time. They remind me of Lafford, when he first started on the Three Sisters project. This gives me a lot of confidence that the Infinity Tower will also proceed as quickly as possible as well.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces