HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Today, 7:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

In my totally legit above-board life I only run into a small handful of businesses that don't accept cash. (Though admittedly their numbers are growing slowly but surely.)

I could easily avoid them and live pretty much the exact same life that I do at the moment.

I know that most hotels require a credit card for check-in though I assume that cheaper not-so-nice motels allow you to pay cash, and don't ask too many questions. There are lots of those too.

Not to mention that many ethnic communities have their own internal networks for almost anything you'd need.

I'm sure that within those it's easy to see a doctor and pay cash, for most treatments you would need.

Old Posted Today, 8:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
As already discussed though. If they simply wanted to cross into the US illegally or simply work illegally in Canada, that can come here on visit visas and do that. They isn't a large surge of people doing that. They mostly try really hard to get PR. They want real legal status and they want to get on the immigrant ladder. They don't want a lifetime as dishwashers getting paid under the table.

I think we have skewed sense of who these people are. Because we think of illegals in the US. For most of these students, if they weren't taking their shot with Canadian PR, they'd be working in the Gulf to save/make money.
I think this is more a reflection of the fact that people will do anything to get in and increase their chances of staying here.

The bogus student thing is at least semi-legit, is (was) easily available to them and offered the pretty decent hope that it would work. Illegally crossing some border is a much less attractive proposition.

I don't think there is much more to read into it than that, and I also don't think that we should overestimate the regulatory conformism and respect of these guys too much.

Old Posted Today, 8:24 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Of course....

Quote:
Afghan Sikh sponsors donated to Sajjan’s riding association during Kabul airlift campaign
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...ncouver-south/
The saddest thing is that the implication is that he may have "re-allocated" spots that had been reserved for Canadians and Afghans linked to Canada for only about $4000!! How desperate can you be!!!
Quote:
Directors of a charitable foundation that struck a deal with Ottawa to sponsor the immigration of Afghan Sikhs to Canada made political donations to then-defence minister Harjit Sajjan’s Vancouver South Liberal riding association around the same time as Canadian special forces soldiers were instructed to rescue and airlift the group from Kabul.
that three military sources say took resources away from getting Canadian citizens and Afghans linked to Canada on final evacuation flights.
But of course Sajjin didn't order anything ... or did he
Quote:
...General Wayne Eyre, Chief of the Defence Staff, told The Canadian Press that the military was following “legal orders” from Mr. Sajjan when it made an effort to specifically help the group of Afghan Sikhs.

Do something about your future.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada