HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 10:20 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
really don’t get the need to have 1.5 parking spaces per apt. There are over 5 bus lines within 10min walk of this location plus the BSL. The tweet says they need a variance? What is the variance for?
Variances needed because it’s still zoned I-2 (medium industrial). ZBA hearing is scheduled for October 9th.

https://atlas.phila.gov/1520-30%20WA...N%20AVE/zoning

In fact the refusals are included in the CDR submission:
THE PROPOSED USE, MULTI-FAMILY (FIFTY-FIVE (55) DWELLING UNITS) HOUSEHOLD LIVING, IS EXPRESSLY
PROHIBITED IN THIS ZONING DISTRICT, 1-2

THE BALCONIES ARE PERMITTED IN ALL RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS, COMMERCIAL MIXED-USE DISTRICTS, AND THE
IRMX DISTRICT. WHEREAS THE PROPOSED BALCONIES ARE IN THE 1-2 INDUSTRIAL DISTRICT.
By never introducing an ordinance to remap his stretch of Washington Avenue to the newer zoning code as recommended by the Planning Commission, Councilperson Kenyatta Johnson maintains his gatekeeper role for development on the corridor.

Last edited by Jayfar; Jun 19, 2024 at 11:19 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Variances needed because it’s still zoned I-2 (medium industrial). ZBA hearing is scheduled for October 9th.

https://atlas.phila.gov/1520-30%20WA...N%20AVE/zoning

In fact the refusals are included in the CDR submission:
THE PROPOSED USE, MULTI-FAMILY (FIFTY-FIVE (55) DWELLING UNITS) HOUSEHOLD LIVING, IS EXPRESSLY
PROHIBITED IN THIS ZONING DISTRICT, 1-2

THE BALCONIES ARE PERMITTED IN ALL RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS, COMMERCIAL MIXED-USE DISTRICTS, AND THE
IRMX DISTRICT. WHEREAS THE PROPOSED BALCONIES ARE IN THE 1-2 INDUSTRIAL DISTRICT.
By never introducing an ordinance to remap his stretch of Washington Avenue to the newer zoning code as recommended by the Planning Commission, Councilperson Kenyatta Johnson maintains his gatekeeper role for development on the corridor.
Good old councilmanic corruption!

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
IMG_0062 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

Lighting Upgrades anyone
The lighting was tested again. The lights will be ON in August, according to @phillychitchat on Instagram. More lighting!!! I love it!

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Too bad the 95 cap won't be ready in time. I heard FDR Park is an option, although an option closer to Center City would be cool (IMO).

Also, what is the point of an expanse of grass if it can't be used for anything? Assuming Independence Mall is large enough for 10k+ people, that would be a great spot for a "fan fest" event, especially on the July 4th game. Might as well build a hotel or apartments on the mall then...
The World Cup Fan Fest location has been announced! I don't think any of us mentioned this as a possibility.
The Host City Executive lady said that they needed a space to accommodate between 15K-25K on any given day...

https://www.fox29.com/video/1473722

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdawk View Post
The World Cup Fan Fest location has been announced! I don't think any of us mentioned this as a possibility.
The Host City Executive lady said that they needed a space to accommodate between 15K-25K on any given day...

https://www.fox29.com/video/1473722
They mention infrastructure improvements. Could you imagine if they laid a rail line in the cut for this, with a new marquee Fairmount Park station at 33rd & Girard? Sigh... one can dream.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:52 PM

What happened to the Ben Franklin Bridge LED lights? At night they are dimly light as well.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:54 PM

I guess this answers my question !

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20240305.html

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:13 PM

I guess lemon hill is ok, i wonder what improvements they have in mind. It's too bad that they couldn't have the parkway redesign done in time, or the penns landing cap. FDR makes sense too since they are building all those soccer fields and the linc is right there.

https://billypenn.com/2024/06/20/phi...rk-lemon-hill/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
They mention infrastructure improvements. Could you imagine if they laid a rail line in the cut for this, with a new marquee Fairmount Park station at 33rd & Girard? Sigh... one can dream.
That would be very cool

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:14 PM

Quote:
As much as I'd love that, no shot it's done in less than two years.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:00 PM

The more I think about it and read about how big fan fest is and consider the all star game and the 250 year celebration and the pga championship the more i think they should just shut the parkway down and have a massive festival all year. Route traffic down Fairmount, penn ave and spring garden.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:06 PM

Pretty shocked they picked Lemon Hill. Can Independence Mall not fit that many people? Like most of Fairmount Park, the lemon hill picnic area is just run down. Cracked pavement, decaying pavilions, overflowing trashcans and litter left from disrespectful citizens. Maybe they will add some access to Kelly Drive. There's the old ornate staircase at Sedgley and then no other real pedestrian access points to the elevated Lemon Hill area.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:23 PM

It's not nearly as remote as you guys are making it seem. I'm sure they'll have a shuttle loop, but it's only a 15 min walk from the PMA and will be a boon to Girard Ave and Fairmount Ave shops. In fact, this is much closer to restaurants and amenities than FDR Park which, while I like it, is surrounded by parking lots and doesn't give a good impression of the city from the outside

And believe it or not, litter can be cleaned up and pavement can be replaced in 2 years

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
It's not nearly as remote as you guys are making it seem. I'm sure they'll have a shuttle loop, but it's only a 15 min walk from the PMA and will be a boon to Girard Ave and Fairmount Ave shops. In fact, this is much closer to restaurants and amenities than FDR Park which, while I like it, is surrounded by parking lots and doesn't give a good impression of the city from the outside

And believe it or not, litter can be cleaned up and pavement can be replaced in 2 years
Same, the general pitch seems to be that they intend to use this as an opportunity to improve the area and leave a bit of a legacy. Although it's likely to be incremental improvements at best, if we're thinking about places where some beautification will have a lasting impact this is a decent choice.

Old Posted Today, 12:14 AM

Quote:
I have always had a dream of them running a light rail from Broad st (connected to either Race/Vine or Spring Garden) through the cut and tunnel under Pennsylvania Ave with stops at the Art Museum, Fairmount, Lemon Hill, then use the tracks at Girard to stop at the Zoo and turn up Parkside ave and ending by the Mann.

Old Posted Today, 12:43 AM

I think Lemon Hill will work better than expected. I bike by it all the time and it is absolutely gorgeous during the summer. I think it's a cool spot and I'm excited to see how it works out. I think they said that Independence Mall wasn't available? I'm guessing they'll have something there for the 250 year celebration because that's the most obvious no brainer spot to have the Fan Fest.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development