HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 9:09 PM

Let's momentarily return to our NOIRISH roots.

Here is the LINK to perhaps the most noirish post on NLA. It's an amazing list of murders in Los Angeles in the 1940s by NoirCityDame. (it was posted back in 2016)

I rediscovered her post because I was curious about the 1947 'butterfly' murder of Dorothy Montgomery.

julydogs/wordpress

I thought it was a real butterfly but it's a butterfly pin the victim was wearing.

From NOIRCITYDAME's post.

I am 99% certain this is the only time Dorothy Montgomery's murder has been mentioned on NLA.

I found some additional information.

Los-Angeles-Times (I think)

And this.

Oakland CA Newspaper

Unless I missed it somehow her murder was never solved.

Here's where I could use some help, noirishers. ..

I've been trying to locate the lot with the Pepper Trees. (of course it's probably not an empty lot any longer but there might still be some pepper trees at the location)
Per the articles it is (was) somewhere near 9115 Grape Street. I checked it out but it's confusing.

This requires the SuperWhip emoji. Go forth, minions!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Yesterday at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 11:51 PM

I've arrowed what I think is 9115 Grape Street on this detail from an aerial dated May 1st 1947 ... a day before the murder.

mil.library.ucsb.edu

The “pepper tree lane” mentioned could be one of the the paths that run across the top.

The trees I've circled maybe the most likely area for where the body was found.

There are some trees in that area in this last GSV from 2018 but I can't identify any of them as pepper tree or not.

GSV

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Yesterday at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:07 AM

A blast from the past, please don't kill me!

From the 'beating a dead horse' department: Old timers here may recall the nearly-unending saga of the Arcade Depot palm tree. Many photographs of the palm at the depot featured a sign in front of the tree, but as I recall we never managed to find a photo large enough to 100% confirm what the sign said.

A post on Facebook finally enabled easy reading of 2 out of 3 lines, and a Google search based on that post led me to an even larger version of the photo where the entire sign could be read. I found the photo here:
https://delivery.library.ca.gov:8443...ps_pid=IE33015

At full zoom, the sign reads:

FAST DRIVING
NOT ALLOWED
On These Premises

A photo which was posted (checks notes) 11 years ago confirmed "NOT ALLOWED" as the middle line and "FAST DRIVING" as the probable first line, but the last line was still in question. JScott made a best guess of 'In These Premises' which is now confirmed as entirely correct but for the first letter. Good eyes, JScott.

Anti-climactic, I know, but I had to share.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:43 PM

Thank you ProphetM.

Much appreciated

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:39 PM

re: The 'Butterfly' Murder - Dorothy Montgomery. R.I.P.

Holy Cow, Noir Noir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post

I've arrowed what I think is 9115 Grape Street on this detail from an aerial dated May 1st 1947 ... a day before the murder.

The trees I've circled maybe the most likely area for where the body was found.
What are the odds that the aerial was taken the day before the murder. I'm stunned. (stunned, I tell you)

And you're no doubt correct that the spot where Montgomery's body was found is (was) among the clump of trees.

Also note the two diagonal lines. They are short cuts that people took across the lot. Perhaps Mrs. Montgomery was walking on one of the paths.
I've seen similar lines in other empty lots. I remember one such short cut clearly visible on an empty lot along Wilshire Blvd.

For example: (this isn't the Wilshire one)

I'm going to be really embarrassed if these lines are something other than paths and shortcuts. (written in 2018)

You can see other examples HERE.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Yesterday at 7:58 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
RE: RKO Hillstreet Theater, 1933

Positive posted by Scott Charles

It looks like I was wrong about the movie camera. Perhaps it's a speaker. ..Of course the other thing is a kleig light.

American Widescreen Museum

Some of the blimped cameras were big and boxy, notably the 3-strip Technicolor ones. The above picture is a blimped Ultra Panavision camera filming Raintree Country (1957.)

Old Posted Today, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
A blast from the past, please don't kill me!

From the 'beating a dead horse' department: Old timers here may recall the nearly-unending saga of the Arcade Depot palm tree. Many photographs of the palm at the depot featured a sign in front of the tree, but as I recall we never managed to find a photo large enough to 100% confirm what the sign said.

A post on Facebook finally enabled easy reading of 2 out of 3 lines, and a Google search based on that post led me to an even larger version of the photo where the entire sign could be read. I found the photo here:
https://delivery.library.ca.gov:8443...ps_pid=IE33015

At full zoom, the sign reads:

FAST DRIVING
NOT ALLOWED
On These Premises

A photo which was posted (checks notes) 11 years ago confirmed "NOT ALLOWED" as the middle line and "FAST DRIVING" as the probable first line, but the last line was still in question. JScott made a best guess of 'In These Premises' which is now confirmed as entirely correct but for the first letter. Good eyes, JScott.

Anti-climactic, I know, but I had to share.
Seems like Los Angeles had a speeding problem before there were cars.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos