HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:35 PM

I have a 2018 Tesla 3. Musk is a dickhead but I don't care. If I had to replace my vehicle tomorrow I'd go with a Model Y.

I keep looking at other options but they just aren't there yet. VW van, Rivian R2/3, and even F150 Lightning are all tempting options. I'd never go back to gas though.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I have a 2018 Tesla 3. Musk is a dickhead but I don't care. If I had to replace my vehicle tomorrow I'd go with a Model Y.

I keep looking at other options but they just aren't there yet. VW van, Rivian R2/3, and even F150 Lightning are all tempting options. I'd never go back to gas though.
Virtually every automakers now has offerings at least on par with 2018 Teslas in terms of range and basic automation. So if that worked for you, there's just no need to buy a Tesla. And post 2025, a lot of automakers are finally moving to their Gen 2 or Gen 3 EVs with lessons learned incorporated. I would rather drive an EV a generation behind than give Musk money. I might consider Tesla again if he's at just removed as CEO.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post

Then we can discount any future woke comments from you? After all, if you’re not willing to put your money where your mouth is….

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:02 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Then we can discount any future woke comments from you? After all, if you’re not willing to put your money where your mouth is….
I won't comment specifically on Warren since I have no idea what other forms of praxis they are or aren't undertaking - charity, activism, etc. But more generally, that actually is a relevant point. We often hear it called virtue signalling when people talk a virtuous game but don't add substance to it. Talk intended to convince others and/or themselves that they're a good person by having the right views without actually doing anything that has any real stakes to it. The term is often falsely levied at people who actually are doing something substantive, but there are definitely cases where people aren't willing to accept any inconvenience or discomfort for the sake of things they claim are important to them. When that happens, it may not make the things they're saying untrue, but it does imply that they may not be affording others the charitably and leeway they're allowing for themselves.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
It's costing them sales too. I think their slowdown in sales in key markets like California, has to be at least partly because of Elon's politics.
Its very odd move from a business standpoint because at this point, EVs are still largely a liberal-left culture war thing in a lot of markets, so the kind of people buying EVs are the kind of people who aren't going to like Elon's politics. Conversely those that like Elon's politics are much less likely to want to buy an EV.

Heading down the road if EVs stop being a culture war thing and everybody embraces them it won't hurt Tesla as much but we're not there yet.

Honestly I'm not sure why Elon hasn't just exited from Tesla (retire from company & sell his share). SpaceX is a bigger business anyway and Tesla has probably peaked.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Today, 12:13 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Its very odd move from a business standpoint because at this point, EVs are still largely a liberal-left culture war thing in a lot of markets, so the kind of people buying EVs are the kind of people who aren't going to like Elon's politics. Conversely those that like Elon's politics are much less likely to want to buy an EV.

Heading down the road if EVs stop being a culture war thing and everybody embraces them it won't hurt Tesla as much but we're not there yet.

Honestly I'm not sure why Elon hasn't just exited from Tesla (retire from company & sell his share). SpaceX is a bigger business anyway and Tesla has probably peaked.
It's certainly true that people who are concerned about the environment and want to make less harmful choices skew disproportionately left. But in what universe is that culture war? Seems like when a new term becomes popular, people get all excited and start using it for everything even when it makes no sense.

Old Posted Today, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
It's certainly true that people who are concerned about the environment and want to make less harmful choices skew disproportionately left. But in what universe is that culture war? Seems like when a new term becomes popular, people get all excited and start using it for everything even when it makes no sense.
Everything is a culture war these days. It's exhausting.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Today, 2:12 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
I'm actually trying to stretch my car so I can get the R3. Here's hoping.

Would be a cool upgrade from your... VW hybrid?

Old Posted Today, 3:18 AM

Quote:
There's not just the environmental aspect. Increasingly, a chunk of the conservative base seem to be outright Luddites who reject technology on principle.

It's utterly nuts that developing countries have higher EV adoption and that something like nearly half of two and three wheeler sales are electric (mostly across the developing world) while a huge chunk of the population here still thinks this is a fad imposed by Trudeau and Biden. Sadly this is the state of affairs these days.

I have to read the Bloomberg NEF reports to remind myself that I'm not the one that is crazy. Look at the stats here. And then think about all the conversations you've had about this tech with people. Particularly the borderline conspiracists.

https://about.bnef.com/electric-vehicle-outlook/

Old Posted Today, 6:47 AM

Quote:
I have to read the Bloomberg NEF reports to remind myself that I'm not the one that is crazy. Look at the stats here. And then think about all the conversations you've had about this tech with people. Particularly the borderline conspiracists.

https://about.bnef.com/electric-vehicle-outlook/
Still, that switch to Toyota hydrogen powered cars is going well in California.

Old Posted Today, 9:23 AM

Quote:
I won't comment specifically on Warren since I have no idea what other forms of praxis they are or aren't undertaking - charity, activism, etc. But more generally, that actually is a relevant point. We often hear it called virtue signalling when people talk a virtuous game but don't add substance to it. Talk intended to convince others and/or themselves that they're a good person by having the right views without actually doing anything that has any real stakes to it. The term is often falsely levied at people who actually are doing something substantive, but there are definitely cases where people aren't willing to accept any inconvenience or discomfort for the sake of things they claim are important to them. When that happens, it may not make the things they're saying untrue, but it does imply that they may not be affording others the charitably and leeway they're allowing for themselves.
And at this point foregoing a Tesla in favour of another EV isn’t really an inconvenience, there’s other options. Gresto’s point that trading in a 4 year old Tesla he bought before Musk went full-on MAGA douchebag doesn’t make sense. However Warren’s defiant claim he buy a new Muskmobile renders any future “progressive” statement hypocritical.

Not only is Musk a big MAGAt but he seriously believes he deserves a $56 Billion paycheque while he fights union attempts by Scandinavian employees. He and the other tech bro billionaires are the new robber barons, convinced they deserve everything and their employees virtually nothing.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada