HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
The part of the Gallery that's going to be demolished is probably the most engaging. Push the Sixers to build a replacement directly across Market and it's a win all the way around. Macerich already owns that block, correct?
There's not enough space. Market to Filbert is way bigger than Market to Ludlow. Also there's some cool architecture worth saving on that block. Robison building, Rite Aid building, Kai Sushi and a few others. I'm sure AMC and Round 1 can be moved easier than an arena can be moved.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 8:18 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
There's not enough space. Market to Filbert is way bigger than Market to Ludlow. Also there's some cool architecture worth saving on that block. Robison building, Rite Aid building, Kai Sushi and a few others. I'm sure AMC and Round 1 can be moved easier than an arena can be moved.
The Robinson Building sits in the middle of the most decrepit block in Center City. It would need to be demolished for any sizeable redevelopment. The Kai Sushi building could potentially be saved since its at the far SE corner of that block.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
I meant move AMC and round one to the Robinson block

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
The Robinson Building sits in the middle of the most decrepit block in Center City. It would need to be demolished for any sizeable redevelopment. The Kai Sushi building could potentially be saved since its at the far SE corner of that block.
Yeah that block is the only one in Center City that I've ever felt truly uncomfortable on. I went to the Spirit Halloween there in October and walked by an encampment of people doing drugs and seemingly setting up a house in one of the store alcoves. I had never seen anything like that in Center City. It's really unfortunate. I hope the Robinson building could be saved. I think Jay had talked about a potential movie theater conversion. That would be awesome.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:39 PM

Ownership threatening to move the team to Camden, NJ now. Can’t say I’m surprised given all the pushback they had on the Marker East location.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Ownership threatening to move the team to Camden, NJ now. Can’t say I’m surprised given all the pushback they had on the Marker East location.
Personally I think this is just to put pressure on the city to move on this. I don’t see how it makes ANY business sense to put a major river between your arena and 3/4ths of your fanbase. It becomes a huge barrier for people - physically and mentally - to schlep over to Jersey, when going to a game is already quite a production. I know I for one would cancel my partial season ticket plan if this happened. Sure, it becomes easier for a quarter of the fanbase, but does that make up for making it harder for 3/4’s of the fanbase? I doubt it.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Personally I think this is just to put pressure on the city to move on this. I don’t see how it makes ANY business sense to put a major river between your arena and 3/4ths of your fanbase. It becomes a huge barrier for people - physically and mentally - to schlep over to Jersey, when going to a game is already quite a production. I know I for one would cancel my partial season ticket plan if this happened. Sure, it becomes easier for a quarter of the fanbase, but does that make up for making it harder for 3/4’s of the fanbase? I doubt it.
Yeah this was always coming. Tax credits or not, if they're in Camden, it's not a better location than Wells Fargo Center. It would nullify the Sixers having the superior arena for concerts, NCAA tournament, WNBA, college basketball (Nova, Temple) and conferences (DNC etc). All of those things besides maybe WNBA would stay at WFC. Villanova ain't playing in Camden. NCAA tournament won't be in Camden etc. etc. Also I would think there is a massive pushback from Freedom Mortgage Pavilion. This would end them. The Mann is already the superior venue. An arena would have the same capacity but no threat of bad weather for concerts (cold and rain). I know Chester is a lot further from Philly but just look at what the wrong location can do. I actually think the traffic in Camden would be 100 times worse than center city. One Patco stop 15 minutes from the waterfront is not sufficient. If you've ever been to a show at Freedom Mortgage...it's a shit show getting out. Lots of shortcuts through awful neighborhoods.

I still believe they're committed to center city and it will happen because of Parker, Squilla and the unions. You also don't build a 400 foot residential tower in Camden...

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:00 PM

While I'm both sure this is a ploy, and I'm certain Parker will make this happen for the unions, I'd say fine, let them go to Camden. This has no business being anywhere near Center City's only ER

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals