HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Sep 1, 2024, 5:36 PM

Agree. The footprint seems a lot larger now that it's u/c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cress3803 View Post
wow.. that's going to be dramatic

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 1:47 AM
Chicago

September 9, 2024

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
September 9, 2024

This is such an incredible shot..... Only because you can see both the footprint of the new tower, and the footprint of where the Spire hole was. I'm not a big foundation guy, but this project has been so cool to watch the transformation from the old multi-year hole in the ground, to what we are seeing now.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 3:56 PM

Does anyone know how to post pictures here?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 4:05 PM

skyscraperpage.com does not host pictures - you have to host them elsewhere and link them via url.

See this post for more detailed instructions https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...30&postcount=1

I use imgur.com - as do several others. You can see where an image is linked from by right clicking on it in the forum and 'copy image link' and then pasting the results somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrhm View Post
Does anyone know how to post pictures here?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 2:47 AM

What's the white circular tube on the north side of the core? Cement pump, or is it a support?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
What's the white circular tube on the north side of the core? Cement pump, or is it a support?
This is a concrete lift (concrete placing boom), that grows upwards with the building.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 4:10 PM
1st Ward

Will the long built and unused exit ramp off of DLSD be for public assess to N. Water St, or only be for residents of the towers? I can only assume that the resident NIMBYs living nearby will not be happy about their current quiet dead end becoming a trafficked through street.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Will the long built and unused exit ramp off of DLSD be for public assess to N. Water St, or only be for residents of the towers? I can only assume that the resident NIMBYs living nearby will not be happy about their current quiet dead end becoming a trafficked through street.
Did you just say "quiet" dead end street? hehe. Not quite quiet.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 5:39 PM
1st Ward

Well, certainly not anymore with all the construction going on

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 5:13 PM

this is my test post with picture

I found out a way to use image post to post an picture here and do a test now.
also, does anyone know how this new construction be arranged using existing foundation like pilings?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2024, 11:06 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrhm View Post
I found out a way to use image post to post an picture here and do a test now.
also, does anyone know how this new construction be arranged using existing foundation like pilings?
That's a complicated question... but yes, some of the existing caissons are being reused where they line up with the new structural grid and have sufficient capacity for load. In other cases they are drilling new caissons. It just depends.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2024, 11:11 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
Did you just say "quiet" dead end street? hehe. Not quite quiet.
As quiet as existing under an overpass in one of the largest downtowns in the world can be.

Not to mention the other heavily used roadways within earshot, the boat traffic, and the events happening all over the city.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Today, 4:29 PM

I recently found a video that was posted a couple days ago about the north tower. Pretty much the video gives information that’s is known on this blog. But what I’ve been noticing as of recent including in this video they have the tower listed at 875ft. Is this the official height. Late march it was said to be near 900ft.

https://youtu.be/rrbVrJe00a0?si=Dar0eA1vmJNvyEhm

Old Posted Today, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post
I recently found a video that was posted a couple days ago about the north tower. Pretty much the video gives information that’s is known on this blog. But what I’ve been noticing as of recent including in this video they have the tower listed at 875ft. Is this the official height. Late march it was said to be near 900ft.

https://youtu.be/rrbVrJe00a0?si=Dar0eA1vmJNvyEhm
That was the previous height before it got chopped, hopefully it does get another increase to near 900 ft before it’s complete.

Old Posted Today, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDweller98 View Post
That was the previous height before it got chopped, hopefully it does get another increase to near 900 ft before it’s complete.
Honest question: Does that ever happen? I've seen plenty of "chops" to final designs right before start of construction, I can't say I've ever seen an increase in height AFTER construction has begun. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention

Old Posted Today, 8:55 PM

Yes - this happened with Salesforce Tower. About 15 feet IIRC. I think Kirkland Ellis wanted a double height floor or something after the building was already 20 floors up.

Also they heightened 9 W Walton and paused construction because Ken Griffin wanted a 3 floor penthouse on the top.

Small changes are pretty common - less than 10 feet as things get finalized and tweaks are made. Substantial changes are rare.

Actually the Related page currently says 857 feet https://www.relatedmidwest.com/400lakeshore so maybe they added 6 feet? This is the first time I've heard that figure. So my previous point stands.

If the market were to get really hot - I could see them trying to squeeze some more into the building. But since it is rental only - strong presales aren't something that could drive that.

Edit: clicking 'read more' on link above, this article actually says 858' https://www.relatedmidwest.com/press...ore-iconic-two

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
Honest question: Does that ever happen? I've seen plenty of "chops" to final designs right before start of construction, I can't say I've ever seen an increase in height AFTER construction has begun. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction