HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 6:30 PM

Quote:
McMenamins Buys Long-Vacant Taft Home in Portland’s West End
The Taft until 2021 was home for 70 low-income seniors.

More than two years ago, 70 low-income and disabled seniors were told they had to leave their low-income apartments at the Taft Home, a Southwest Portland building next to the McMenamins Crystal Ballroom music venue. State regulators had given the facility’s operators a long list of required fixes, and the nonprofit operator chose to shutter the home rather than comply.

One of the longtime Taft Home tenants, Josephine Allen, pitched a tent across the street and spent the winter warming her hands by lighting fires in aluminum cans with rubbing alcohol. Other Taft tenants were scattered to care homes across the state, while others were taken in by relatives.

For the next two and a half years, the Taft Home stood vacant. Reach CDC, the nonprofit developer that owned it, said renovations to rehab the building would cost between $25 million and $30 million. So Reach looked for a buyer instead.
...continues at the Willamette Week.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 10:44 PM

Just saw that - it’s sad they closed (yet another) affordable housing bldg, but I’m happy to see McMenamins step in to revitalize the building. I wonder what happens to Cassidys.. that’s been there forever. Had a few holiday work parties there over the years, great old bar.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 12:21 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Just saw that - it’s sad they closed (yet another) affordable housing bldg, but I’m happy to see McMenamins step in to revitalize the building. I wonder what happens to Cassidys.. that’s been there forever. Had a few holiday work parties there over the years, great old bar.
I agree, Cassidy's is like walking into really Old Portland for a beer and food. Such a great classic bar

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland