HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 4:26 PM

Are people seriously debating whether an industry with DARPA backing plus UIUC, U of Chicago plus another company that can invest $1B is something that should be done?

Please don't quit your day jobs.

While quantum computing is early, this has legitimately the ability to change the world. Our governor is smart enough to realize this and has put Illinois and Chicago in place to be the leaders not only for the US but possibly the entire world. This is legitimately a possible game changer for the state and region if successful in the way that tech transformed the Bay Area into one of the richest and important regions ever to grace this earth. But the implications of a successful 1 million qubit QC are immense for the progress of humanity.

Now DARPA is majorly behind this - you know, the org behind the literal invention of the internet, GPS, drones, the computer GUI and mouse, stealth technology, bullets that can change direction in flight, high altitude LIDAR, etc.

Don't be so fucking short sighted.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 4:47 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Are people seriously debating whether an industry with DARPA backing plus UIUC, U of Chicago plus another company that can invest $1B is something that should be done?

While quantum computing is early, this has legitimately the ability to change the world. Our governor is smart enough to realize this and has put Illinois and Chicago in place to be the leaders not only for the US but possibly the entire world. This is legitimately a possible game changer for the state and region if successful in the way that tech transformed the Bay Area into one of the richest and important regions ever to grace this earth. But the implications of a successful 1 million qubit QC are immense for the progress of humanity.

Now DARPA is majorly behind this - you know, the org behind the literal invention of the internet, GPS, drones, the computer GUI and mouse, stealth technology, bullets that can change direction in flight, high altitude LIDAR, etc.

This is the only logical response to naysayers and doubters. Thank you.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 5:07 PM

Quote:

+1 - Great post.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 5:18 PM

I left out FermiLab and Argonne are behind this too. DARPA has been working on quantum stuff for years too. I know someone who was on a quantum DARPA project over 5 years ago. And it was succesful. It's not like they're new to this.

I can't believe there's actual people naysaying this. So shortsighted and probably a reason why Chicago falls behind on some of the things like establishing industries. Too many naysayers who don't know what they are talking about or can't take a risk to save their lives.

Thank God for Pritzker on this.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 5:59 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Tangential, but relevant: three years ago, I helped design and manage construction of a lab for a new researcher at U of C in the Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering, who is a leader in computational biology and genomics. She was a new transplant to Chicago at the time, and THE draw to Chicago was the the program at U of C that she was joining as a professor, because she was very well aware of how important both the University program is and also the fact that the Quantum Exchange is also located here.
The significance of this facility being built here in Chicago cannot be overstated, because it will draw so many researchers to the area from a variety of fields (quantum computing, computational biology, subatomic physics, etc). It is almost in a way like having a new Argonne or Fermilab, because it will only grow over the years and truly cement Chicago's reputation as THE destination for quantum computing and research for many disciplines.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
tbh this is a reason why im not really seeing how this is "transformational" for the south side that so many seem to be implying. its an isolated office park running a data center. an experimental data center, but nevertheless. i dont see how any implied benefits are going to trickle down to this to surrounding neighborhoods. this is hardly your standard tech company which would be employing thousands of locals. its cool from a science perspective but the impact feels overstated outside of all the contractors who are going to get construction work
Correct. This site has a decent ~30-35 -minute commute catchment area, reaching places like Beverly, Homewood, South Loop, and even Munster, with Whiting and Hyde Park more like 15 minutes.

It's a positive development for the city and region regardless of whether the immediate surrounding neighborhood fundamentally changes.

Decades of major projects to move large agencies staffed with hundreds, sometimes thousands of well-paid employees to SE DC and Southern PG - the Coast Guard/DHS, Census Bureau, plus several small agencies and departments - have not gentrified their surrounding areas. People commute to Suitland and commute out, and generally don't leave the gated compound, which maintains its own cafeteria, gym, etc. as needed.

Likewise, you've got lots of well-paid engineers, skilled trades, and office support staff working in East Garfield Park (CTA West Shops) and Englewood (City's 2FM, CTA South Shops) and they aren't exactly creating an investment stampede in those neighborhoods. If anything, as time has gone on, those agencies have had to continually request and construct reinforcement of security barriers and perimeters of their facilities to protect staff from relentlessly encroaching criminality.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 2:42 AM

Quote:

Wow! Puts it in perspective. Sometimes we are so used to local news not turning out as big as we initially hoped in this city… and with the perpetual doubters always throwing popcorn and peanuts from the gallery… we sometimes lose sight of just how big of a game changer something truly is. Now I am even more excited that we landed this and will be following it closely.

As usual Marothisu, great post!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 12:59 PM
Avid Observer

Quantum Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I just have a masters in electrical engineering and spin motors for a living, so what do I know. But...

10,000 to 20,000 hard working individuals used to be employed at the steel works. Real steel used in real products bought in real stores by real people, creating real profit.

Now we get 150 fake researchers "working" on something that will never do anything because quantum computing is fake. Everyone knows this, but government funding is "free". The laws of physics don't support any of the claims of quantum computing. A few fancy algorithms aren't quantum.

It's 2024. Where is my fusion power plant and flying car? I'll check back in 10 years. Have fun getting scammed.
P.S. Look up the carbon footprint of quantum computing.
Fellow EE background here and I'm inclined to agree with you. Shaky quantum science combined with a dearth of evidence-based research. I expect their research to follow the 50-year boondoggle saga of federally funded tokamaks.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakesd88 View Post
Fellow EE background here and I'm inclined to agree with you. Shaky quantum science combined with a dearth of evidence-based research. I expect their research to follow the 50-year boondoggle saga of federally funded tokamaks.
Quantum computing is in its early stages, and a few years ago I was more skeptical. Until some people finally made progress in some crucial areas.

You do realize that DARPA has been.working on Quantum for years now successfully right? I have a coworker who did work for DARPA on this a handful of years ago in a successful project. It's not like they and others are coming into this new. DARPA also doesn't work the same as your typical business. It's all about getting things to work which is why they've successfully created or helped create some very crazy things - like bullets that change direction mid flight.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 4:57 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Decades of major projects to move large agencies staffed with hundreds, sometimes thousands of well-paid employees to SE DC and Southern PG - the Coast Guard/DHS, Census Bureau, plus several small agencies and departments - have not gentrified their surrounding areas. People commute to Suitland and commute out, and generally don't leave the gated compound, which maintains its own cafeteria, gym, etc. as needed.
I think a better comparison is the Philly Navy Yard. PsyQuantum is an anchor of the South Works site but it's fundamentally an "open" office park development, any company is welcome to join once the infrastructure is in place.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 3:53 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Durbin introduces Department of Energy Quantum Leadership Act

Along with Senator Steve Daines (R-MT), Durbin is sponsoring the Department of Energy Quantum Leadership Act, which would authorize more than $2.5 billion to the DOE.

Some of the items in the bill include reauthorizing and expand R&D activities for DOE, increasing interagency and industry coordination, and establishing new programs to support the workforce demands of the growing quantum R&D and commercial ecosystems.

“For the last five years, the Department of Energy has pioneered research into quantum technologies to ensure the United States leads the world in computing, security, and connectivity. And what’s more, Illinois is poised to become a global hub for technology and innovation as quantum computing takes center stage in our state. I want to keep that momentum going,” Durbin said. “That’s why Senator Daines and I have introduced the DOE Quantum Leadership Act to supercharge research, development, and commercialization of quantum technologies. With this legislation, we can ensure our DOE facilities, including Illinois’ Fermilab and Argonne National Labs, are well-equipped to lead this quantum revolution.”
https://www.yahoo.com/news/durbin-in...054940964.html

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 5:05 PM

Looks like Morton Salt is moving its HQ out of Chicago? Haven’t seen much news other than the Illinois Policy article: https://www.illinoispolicy.org/morto...t-of-illinois/

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJilliams View Post
Looks like Morton Salt is moving its HQ out of Chicago? Haven’t seen much news other than the Illinois Policy article: https://www.illinoispolicy.org/morto...t-of-illinois/
Take anything IPI takes with a grain of salt. It could be true as they've been decreasing footprint in Chicago since before the pandemic. However, the rumor was started by a certain poster on Twitter without any actual concrete evidence. It's akin to Crains (who is much better than IPI still) claiming 15 months ago that Guggenheim was moving from Chicago even though nothing of the sort has happened (and hopefully won't).

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 1:27 AM

Interesting - The city of Chicago is right below its peak monthly labor force population since January 1990 - which was in July 2000. It's only 2690 people in the labor force below that, when the city had about 2.9M people officially.

And the metro area is at its peak labor force population.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 2:45 AM

^ I was waiting for something like this confirm some suspicions I have. I'll make a longer post in the General Discussions thread but I managed to find monthly immigration rates for the US, and Chicago/Cook County has skyrocketed to being a top migrant destination in the past 2 years. For the 2016-2021 fiscal years (which starts in October the prior year), Cook County often wasn't in the top 10 list of counties for immigration. In 2023, however, Cook County had the 2nd highest immigration rate in the country, behind LA County by almost exactly 7k people. When you then take into account that NYC is split into 5 counties, NYC of course blows Chicago & LA out of the water. That said, immigration in the Chicago area is now at the same level, and sometimes surpassing, places like Miami, LA, Houston, and Dallas.

For example, Miami was the main place Venezuelans would migrate to for decades, with Chicago not even being a top 10 destination. However, ever since many Venezuelans were bused to Chicago, the number of Venezuelans who've immigrated to Chicago from 2022-2024 (~39k people) is more than Miami's Venezuelan immigration from all of 2001-2024 (~33k people)! Even though Gov. Abbott has basically stopped busing migrants this past year, three times more Venezuelans have migrated to Cook County this past fiscal year compared to Miami-Dade County! This means many Venezuelans are choosing to come to Chicago instead of Miami, despite Miami having historically been an epicenter.

There's a lot more interesting stuff I'll write in a longer post, but for now if you want to play with the dataset, it's located at: https://trac.syr.edu/phptools/immigration/ntanew/. It's pretty confusing to use, but the gist is that from left to right there are several columns to specify what information you're looking for. For example, if you want to learn for the 2024 fiscal year how many people of a given nationality are moving to the Chicago area, you would select "Fiscal Year NTA Dated" -> "Nationality" -> "Immigrant County" or "Immigrant Court". "Immigrant County" or "Immigrant Court" act as proxies for the Chicago area, each with pros and cons. "Immigrant County" can capture the number of people who listed Cook County in their home address, which is useful for comparing immigration rates to other counties, but this of course won't accurately capture the raw number since many migrants don't have a permanent address listed. "Immigrant Court" in some sense better captures the raw number of migrants coming to the greater Chicago area, however it's not useful for comparing immigration rates to other counties since immigrants in the Milwaukee and Indianapolis area often apply to Chicago courts.

Note: forgot to mention, this dataset is of people filing in immigration court. So this won't list undocumented immigrants and immigrants arriving through a resettlement program, such as many Ukrainians.

Last edited by Randomguy34; Sep 3, 2024 at 3:02 AM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:28 AM
Cap ou pas cap?

That’s wild and awesome to hear. I loved reading your analysis - I’d love to hear more about your data and insights!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest