HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 1, 2024, 4:50 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Lol, wait is this being considered? That would be some serious height!
SABJ
“Positioned just two blocks east and behind the historic Alamo grounds, the wheel would stand within the sightlines of the Alamo Church and our future Visitor Center and Museum,” Rogers wrote.

She encouraged city leaders and project developers to consider alternative sites for the project.

The company was expected to present its plan to City Council.

“The developer withdrew their application,” Deputy City Manager Maria Villagomez confirmed.

Icon Experiences partners Eli Stovall and Curtis Parks, who have ties to Texas, said from the outset that the San Antonio development would be privately funded and that the company was not seeking any incentives. They were initially hoping to break ground before the end of the year.

Last edited by SAguy; Sep 1, 2024 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2024, 8:08 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ Whew! Dodged that tacky bullet.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 4:48 AM
wmdwms

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
^^ Whew! Dodged that tacky bullet.
Agreed!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 9:38 PM

Would have been the same as Skyview Atlanta at 200 ft and called Grandismo Wheel. The graphic posted looks like the proposed 900 ft a developer proposed but never gained traction.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 3:55 PM

I'm for the wheel but do not like the location they want to put it.
I would like to put that wheel on a land bridge over IH 37 between the Alamodome and future Spurs Arena. Imagine driving under the wheel on IH 37!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 4:08 PM
JACKinBeantown

I'm good with that. I think a more likely scenario is on an existing strip of land on either property. Covering the freeway probably isn't gonna fly under current TXdot management. Just look at their shenanigans with the traffic lane on Broadway in the Pig district (1700 block). If you can't put a car on it, they're probably against it.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 6:19 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

TxDoT is pretty good at leveraging federal money where available (see: the proliferation of HOV lanes lately). I'm fairly confident they'd build a cap if the feds paid for it.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2024, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
TxDoT is pretty good at leveraging federal money where available (see: the proliferation of HOV lanes lately). I'm fairly confident they'd build a cap if the feds paid for it.
I disagree wholeheartedly. TxDOT is designing the I35 expansion in Austin for a cap. This was in response to the citizens of Austin protesting the widening, but the kicker is, if they want a cap they city will have to pay for it.

TxDOT could care less how their facilities affect cities. The land bridge over 37 is a moon shot.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 12:21 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshaa5 View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly. TxDOT is designing the I35 expansion in Austin for a cap. This was in response to the citizens of Austin protesting the widening, but the kicker is, if they want a cap they city will have to pay for it.

TxDOT could care less how their facilities affect cities. The land bridge over 37 is a moon shot.
We're saying the exact same thing lol. TxDoT will pay for a cap if someone else pays for it, city or feds, otherwise they don't care.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 10:01 PM

Quote:
A key piece of Hemisfair's development is heading back to design review.

Austin-based Post Lake Capital Partners and Trube Corp. are seeking a certificate of appropriateness from the Historic and Design Review Commission for a 10-story apartment building and a three-story retail building side-by-side facing East Market Street. The 2.4-acre site — split between two parcels known as D1 and D2 — is expected to see shovels in the fourth quarter of 2024.
I thought this turd was dead?

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...-use-hdrc.html

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 10:38 PM
The Space Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
Uggh. I'd rather we keep the land a park (the great lawn wasn't all that great) than to have this uninspired, cheap and boring disgrace take up prime real estate.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
Sadly it was the more exciting apartment proposal that got scrapped recently on that third parcel (the 17-story tower by AREA). This one was just pending final design approval and they are sticking with the 10 story proposal, I'm assuming the design may have changed a tad in that time but there are no new documents posted yet.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 12:22 AM

good lord, the HDRC is the most backwards group of people if they let this garbage pass

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs_ag View Post
good lord, the HDRC is the most backwards group of people if they let this garbage pass
It almost seems like anything goes unless height is involved lol. I'd almost rather them wait for the economy to shape back up and just stick with the original plan. I guess this is better than nothing being there?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
It almost seems like anything goes unless height is involved lol. I'd almost rather them wait for the economy to shape back up and just stick with the original plan. I guess this is better than nothing being there?
I would take nothing being there! This apartment looks like a typical unit that would go on Broadway or the Medical Center. The Residence Inn Hotel for Alamo Plaza might be slightly better designed then this.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 3:40 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
I would take nothing being there! This apartment looks like a typical unit that would go on Broadway or the Medical Center. The Residence Inn Hotel for Alamo Plaza might be slightly better designed then this.
That part. Wait to build something iconic rather than slapping a garage with a 10 story apartment around it.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:36 AM

From a few days ago. Still kinda jarring to me to think that this was all once the original Convention Center. It’ll be a great thing when the Source Plaza opens next spring in time for the Final Four and there will be a brand new meeting space available for the guests.

It’s ingenious that the walking path is a consistent straight line from the Riverwalk up to the entrance on Market and Alamo to the Tower and then around the loop-de-loop ramp under I-37 to the Alamodome…I highly recommend anyone to go down at least one and soak your feet in the fountains…quite relaxing.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio