HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:03 PM

It's pretty crazy that one developer is building 1,000 condos and every other developer is building 0. I hope they make a miniature model and place it in the sales center. Miniatures are amazing.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:59 PM

Just going from memory; too lazy to double check
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
If I recall correctly, wasn't part of the problem for many years that RTD actually had to change its bylaws in order to allow the sale of these parking lots?
A) Seems I read just recently that RTD had been required to sell any land at fair market value. That has now been changed allowing RTD to sell their Five Points land at a lower price to enable an affordable housing project.

B) PLANSIT has stated in the past that for suburban park-n-rides that those spaces were required by the FTA. I assume that means they would have to give their permission for changes. If the feasibility of project was based on having park-n-rides that could be a challenge.

C) In some cases RTD bought ROW before they had made final determination for siting stations etc.

D) It turns out that RTD sometimes ended up with more land than necessary. That occurred as RTD bought up ROW like a whole parcel/site from the previous owner. Sellers were NOT interested in selling all but a sliver here or there of their land.

Denver’s train network was built for car commuters. With parking lots empty, RTD thinks housing could help save it
Quote:
During RTD’s rail-building era, it went all in on drivers and their cars.
I hesitate to rag on Nathaniel Minor too much; he's a good writer and he does know Denver's transit history. But he just can't resist going into anti-car mode. That headline is misleading while oddly also being generally true.

A) None of our esteemed transit fans ever want or are willing to talk about "First- and Last-Mile" problems. Fact is it's one of the more critical things impacting ridership.

B) FasTracks was built as a suburb to city mostly spoke and wheel system. Yes, "car commuters" interested in the convenience of light rail needed their 'first mile issue' addressed which park-n-rides do.

C) Prior to FasTacks there was the SW corridor line and later the SE corridor line. With the SW Line ridership projections were smashed out-of-the gate and parking spaces were taken by 8 AM at the latest at the Mineral Station with parking overflowing into the neighborhoods. Use of park-n-rides was also impressive along the SE rail lines, notably Nine Mile Station and Lincoln Station.

With respect to First- and Last-Mile issues

According to Transit Guru Jarrett Walker/Human Transit
Quote:
basics: walking distance to transit

If you have to choose a single walking distance standard for all situations, the most commonly cited standard is 400m or 1/4 mi.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West