HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Yes.

There are a ton of small streets in Northern Liberties (American, Orianna, Lawrence, Orkney, Olive, etc) and when you walk or drive down them there's fields of curb weed (i.e. the weeds that grow from the dirt in the gutter that never gets swept up).

I would have assumed if they were "cleaning every block" they would have sent sweepers and crews up those streets that would have pulled or cut the weeds then swept the curbs so that they didn't reoccur.

Ditto for Fishtown. There are high weeds growing from unswept gutters ALL OVER the neighborhood. So if the neighborhood was indeed "cleaned", these wouldn't be here.
They didnt make every car on every block move for obvious reasons. Also, weeds in the sidewalk isn't exactly illegal dumping. So if that was the metric you're using to determine whether or not they did any cleaning then I guess they didnt do squat. Why not work with your neighbors to take some responsibility for your own neighborhood? Is there any upkeep you believe should be on residents and not on government?

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
They didnt make every car on every block move for obvious reasons. Also, weeds in the sidewalk isn't exactly illegal dumping. So if that was the metric you're using to determine whether or not they did any cleaning then I guess they didnt do squat. Why not work with your neighbors to take some responsibility for your own neighborhood? Is there any upkeep you believe should be on residents and not on government?
Agreed. Things like pulling gutter weeds should be a neighborhood/block responsibility. If it's a problem, that just means the block doesn't care.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:14 PM

Quote:
I never said it was where cars were parked.

I specifically used examples of streets with NO PARKING. Many SMALL streets in our neighborhoods have no parking in both sides or only one side of the street. This in theory means there is a clear path for street sweepers on that side of the street with no cars, which in this case is either the entire or one half of the street.

And yes, I agree its the neighbors responsibility to pick weeds, but guess what? THEY SHOULDN'T BE GROWING IN THE FIRST PLACE OUT OF A PILE OF DIRT IN THE STREET THAT IS THERE ONLY BECAUSE THE STREET IS NEVER CLEANED.

I can't get the city to sweep a block of Girard Avenue under 95 (with no parking) because "it's the states responsibility" but it's my responsibilty to sweep the street even though it's clearly the city's jurisdiction.

GOT IT.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
Agreed. Things like pulling gutter weeds should be a neighborhood/block responsibility. If it's a problem, that just means the block doesn't care.
Gutter weeds that exist only because there are PILES of dirt because the city doesn't keep the streets clean? If the dirt wasn't there in the first place the weeds would never grow.

This city is full of people with zero and low expectations. It's infuriating.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Ive noticed you really dont listen- the street cleaning program just expanded this past year and I already told you that and provided the link, it will expand yearly as has been the plan since it started 4 or 5 years ago. At no point has parker said she was not expanding street sweeping and if you keep up with current events there is a group focused on this that is supposed to release recommendations for policy changes and considering she is in her first term and wants to make a major impression, my guess is she will push for many of them to burnsh her legacy. You hate city government and its workers so no surprise that you will complain no matter what. You bitch about dirty streets constantly and the entire city gets cleaned and you're still whining.
No. You don't listen.

The street cleaning program in fact DID NOT expand this year. It's a continuation of the zones from the previous "phase".

I don't hate city government. I'm sure there are plenty of people who work very hard for the city. But there's a "it's not my job" mentality that drives me crazy.

Just earlier this week I contacted Squilla's office about E Girard between Susquehanna and Richmond. It's been a mess since I moved into Northbank 3 years ago. I called, talked to a lovely assistant, and acknowledged the issue might be that it's PennDot's jurisdiction but given all the funds that are being allocated to cleaning by district could they just figure out a way to send a city street cleaner to the blocks to clean them? The assistant was like, yeah I understand it's frustrating.

Then I get cc'd on an email to PennDot asking them to clean it because it's not the city's jurisdiction, even though it's Girard Avenue etc etc.

JUST SEND A FUCKING CLEANER TO SWEEP THE STREET.

Is it that hard? Why in the world can a city street sweeper not hit the curb and pick up some trash on a block that is technically PennDot's jurisdiction.

It's absurd.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:14 PM

Quote:
No. You don't listen.

Is it that hard? Why in the world can a city street sweeper not hit the curb and pick up some trash on a block that is technically PennDot's jurisdiction.
I think you answered your own question, no?

What is yelling into the void at us three posts in a row gonna do about it

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:31 PM
Chris

This is great.

Camac Street will once again be Philly’s only wooden street
https://www.inquirer.com/news/camac-...-20240906.html

As part of a long-delayed project to restore a trio of historic Philly streets, the narrow thoroughfare between Walnut and Locust, long known as “The Little Street of Clubs,” will be returned to its wooden roots. Work began last month, and the city hopes to restore the street by the end of the year.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:08 PM

Big fan of this extension of Northbank. The park on the river is great.

Next Phase Of Northbank Development on Delaware River To Include More Apartments

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I'll probably think of even more later, but for now:

-Shibe Park
-Grand Opera House (1800 N Broad, the current site of the Liacouras Center)
-Roxy Theater (Ridge and Leverington, current site of a Dunkin Donuts)
-Broad Street Station (and the accompanying Arcade Building) were an absolute sin to lose. Broad Street's headhouse absolutely could've been preserved for office use with the Penn Center project.
-The Majestic Hotel at Broad and Girard
-Stortz Tools (imminently being demolished)

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
I think you answered your own question, no?

What is yelling into the void at us three posts in a row gonna do about it
I try not to engage. They have a pattern of being combative often for no reason at all.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
yeah I mean how much do they want the City to do? Clean up your area.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:04 PM

Quote:
No. You don't listen.

The street cleaning program in fact DID NOT expand this year. It's a continuation of the zones from the previous "phase".

I don't hate city government. I'm sure there are plenty of people who work very hard for the city. But there's a "it's not my job" mentality that drives me crazy.

Just earlier this week I contacted Squilla's office about E Girard between Susquehanna and Richmond. It's been a mess since I moved into Northbank 3 years ago. I called, talked to a lovely assistant, and acknowledged the issue might be that it's PennDot's jurisdiction but given all the funds that are being allocated to cleaning by district could they just figure out a way to send a city street cleaner to the blocks to clean them? The assistant was like, yeah I understand it's frustrating.

Then I get cc'd on an email to PennDot asking them to clean it because it's not the city's jurisdiction, even though it's Girard Avenue etc etc.

JUST SEND A FUCKING CLEANER TO SWEEP THE STREET.

It's absurd.
Those last two words sum up your post. Well said bro

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I never said it was where cars were parked.

I specifically used examples of streets with NO PARKING. Many SMALL streets in our neighborhoods have no parking in both sides or only one side of the street. This in theory means there is a clear path for street sweepers on that side of the street with no cars, which in this case is either the entire or one half of the street.

And yes, I agree its the neighbors responsibility to pick weeds, but guess what? THEY SHOULDN'T BE GROWING IN THE FIRST PLACE OUT OF A PILE OF DIRT IN THE STREET THAT IS THERE ONLY BECAUSE THE STREET IS NEVER CLEANED.

I can't get the city to sweep a block of Girard Avenue under 95 (with no parking) because "it's the states responsibility" but it's my responsibilty to sweep the street even though it's clearly the city's jurisdiction.

GOT IT.
wow your neighborhood is prety dirty. Maybe you should move. We dont have years old piles of dirt in my area and even if we did there is this thing called rain that would come and wash it away. can you attach pics? I want to see these dirt piles that are sprouting forests in the middle of busy Northern Libs streets.

Thanks

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development