HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
It's not currently financially viable for me to do so. In the meantime, I regrettably get to ride the wave of land continuing to spiral upwards as everyone else suffers around me. My land makes almost as much every year in appreciation as I do from my paycheck and it's all tax free...
And really, isn't that a big part of the problem?

No wonder Canada's productivity and business investment are abysmally low when everything's skewed to make property investment attractive at the expense of everything else.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
And really, isn't that a big part of the problem?

No wonder Canada's productivity and business investment are abysmally low when everything's skewed to make property investment attractive at the expense of everything else.
"Buy land, they're not making it anymore" - Mark Twain

Now bear in mind, we absolutely could build more land—the ocean is right there—but we all know that's not happening anytime soon. In the meantime, given the fact that housing costs are already disgustingly high, the only path forward for greater housing supply is to allow more housing on the land we already have. There is no such thing as making land less attractive (unless of course you advocate for some sort of land value tax or a war or some form of economic devastation). We just need more housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Those Mary Hill buildings are quite the vintage! I'll look up their zoning too
Ironically, the FSR of those rowhouses is only around .75 which I suppose is quite high for the area and the era, but it's not even modern Vancouver SFH density!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 12:14 AM

It's either that or clear out every tree and farm between here and Hope. Pretty much every major Canadian city is noticing the diminishing returns on building outward, and is opting to build upward instead.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues