HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:39 PM
I stand with UKRAINE

What do you think about this question that was posted on Quora?

https://www.quora.com/Do-most-Americ...t-is-in-the-US

The user asks if most US residents realize that life is much better in Canada than in their country. It is not a specifically weather-climate question, but reading the answers of numerous US users, it is clear that many of them would prefer to live in a tropical country like Mexico or even the Philippines rather than in Canada. The reason for this choice is that these countries in the South of the world, even if they are poorer, less organized and more dangerous than Canada, have a better climate (for them!); hot, there are no frosts and snowfalls.

I am surprised by these answers.... I understand that most people on Earth prefer warm climates with a lot of sun (in reality, warm and dry climates are also very negative: drought, oppressive heat, etc...... and some of these countries in the south are not even dry but very rainy and with several storms that can cause serious damage), but Canada offers better social, economic, working, political conditions, etc. than the countries of the South of the World. For example, I hate the climate of my Sicily, but I would never go to live in a country like Russia, Belarus or North Korea just because they are cold and snowy.

I think there is a general prejudice about the climate of Canada. In my opinion, many people think that Canada is a country where frost, snow, storms reign all year round and everywhere.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancredi View Post
Moncton i imagine this dataset doesn't include Arctic Canada weather stations. It would be strange if the first sub-zero temperatures were recorded in your province. In any case, I'm surprised that the first sub-zero temperatures were recorded in your province and not in the mountainous heart of Interior Canada. :fuggire:
The annual Freeze List is a competition between a representative number of Canadian cities and towns (now 36), and includes a number of communities in the south, near north and north. The inclusion criteria includes the size of the community, whether or not it is a capital city, it's location and, whether or not it is representative of a climatic region. Not all large cities are on the list, and some smaller communities are included simply because of where the are.

We have three cities from the far north on the list, all territorial capitals. Of course there are many other reporting stations in the north that are not on the list. Many of them (like Resolute or Alert) would have frozen long ago.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
The user asks if most US residents realize that life is much better in Canada than in their country. It is not a specifically weather-climate question, but reading the answers of numerous US users, it is clear that many of them would prefer to live in a tropical country like Mexico or even the Philippines rather than in Canada. The reason for this choice is that these countries in the South of the world, even if they are poorer, less organized and more dangerous than Canada, have a better climate (for them!); hot, there are no frosts and snowfalls.
Many Americans seem absolutely petrified by cold weather and snow. This paranoid fear is beyond the pale. They seem convinced that Canada is one giant ice cube, and that once you cross the border, you will see the ice cap in clear view off in the distance.

This ignores the fact that palm trees can grow in southwestern BC, or that the most southerly point in Canada is at the same latitude as northern California or Naples in Italy.

Fun fact. The most southerly point in Canada is at 41 degrees north latitude. There are actually more Americans living north of this latitudinal line than Canadians.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:57 PM
I stand with UKRAINE

Quote:
What do you think about this question that was posted on Quora?

https://www.quora.com/Do-most-Americ...t-is-in-the-US

I am surprised by these answers.... I understand that most people on Earth prefer warm climates with a lot of sun (in reality, warm and dry climates are also very negative: drought, oppressive heat, etc...... and some of these countries in the south are not even dry but very rainy and with several storms that can cause serious damage), but Canada offers better social, economic, working, political conditions, etc. than the countries of the South of the World. For example, I hate the climate of my Sicily, but I would never go to live in a country like Russia, Belarus or North Korea just because they are cold and snowy.

I think there is a general prejudice about the climate of Canada. In my opinion, many people think that Canada is a country where frost, snow, storms reign all year round and everywhere.
Sorry, I confused the province of Manitoba with that of New Brunswick

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:00 PM
I stand with UKRAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The annual Freeze List is a competition between a representative number of Canadian cities and towns (now 36), and includes a number of communities in the south, near north and north. The inclusion criteria includes the size of the community, whether or not it is a capital city, it's location and, whether or not it is representative of a climatic region. Not all large cities are on the list, and some smaller communities are included simply because of where the are.

We have three cities from the far north on the list, all territorial capitals. Of course there are many other reporting stations in the north that are not on the list. Many of them (like Resolute or Alert) would have frozen long ago.

Ok, thanks....... now it's clear. Too bad, it would be nice to have a complete list of all the population centers in Canada.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:02 PM
I stand with UKRAINE

Quote:
Many Americans seem absolutely petrified by cold weather and snow. This paranoid fear is beyond the pale. They seem convinced that Canada is one giant ice cube, and that once you cross the border, you will see the ice cap in clear view off in the distance.

This ignores the fact that palm trees can grow in southwestern BC, or that the most southerly point in Canada is at the same latitude as northern California or Naples in Italy.

Fun fact. The most southerly point in Canada is at 41 degrees north latitude. There are actually more Americans living north of this latitudinal line than Canadians.
Absolutely! Also the United States includes Alaska which is not a tropical state. I understand that many people in the United States have poor and incorrect geographical and climatic information.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Ok, thanks....... now it's clear. Too bad, it would be nice to have a complete list of all the population centers in Canada.
You can look up most reporting stations on this website:

https://www.weatherstats.ca/

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Skies are clearing.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:19 PM
I stand with UKRAINE

Quote:

Great!!! Thank youuuuuuuuu

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Hey you forgot Maple Creek.

Palm trees can be found further north than SW BC including coastal areas of the UK and Ireland.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:14 PM

Quote:

It's hilarious how this archaic 1990s looking website manages to be superior to the Environment Canada's.

Anywho, decent enough day here. Breezy with a mix of sun and cloud. Can definitely feel fall in the air, although it's back to summer after tomorrow.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:39 PM
Mooderator

I wonder if Nicko turned on his furnace this weekend.

Old Posted Today, 1:15 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I wonder if Nicko turned on his furnace this weekend.
Nope but all windows are closed. Earliest heat has been turned on was a Sept 30th about a decade ago.

An incredibly crappy 13C was the high with cloud cover and gusty 40 km/h wind. We actually broke a daily minimum high record dating back from 1938. We've broken 2 daily low max records in about 3 weeks. We are due for a massive heat wave.

Low was a shocking 7C. Not unheard of but lowest in the first half of September in quite a few years. Downtown Montreal streak of 118 consecutive days with a low above 10C comes to an end. That's one impressive streak. Not sure where it ranks all-time.

The warmspot was Lucky Lake, SK at 35.1C

The warmest low was Cheticamp, NS at 19.1C

Old Posted Today, 2:21 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
It's hilarious how this archaic 1990s looking website manages to be superior to the Environment Canada's.
EC is a government operation, waddaya expect!!!

Old Posted Today, 3:39 AM

Second crappy weekend in a month, except this one started Friday morning. Cool all three days with rain on the Friday. Other two days stupidly windy. A guy I know invited me for a salmon troll on his boat out of Port Credit in Mississauga and I said thanks, but not dealing with white caps and wind blowing in my face the whole time. He sent me video afterwards and it was unpleasant, especially since he did hook into three and lost all of them with one of them actually taking the tackle, rod and rod holder off of the boat. Fishing is an incredible waste of money. So many thousands on the boat, launch fees, gas etc., only to get blanked too many times. And in bad weather. Makes you wonder why anyone does it. I ask myself that all the time and I'm pretty low on the charts when it comes to costs.

Today was a high of 18 in Halton Hills, but due to the dumb ass wind it was unpleasant. Vast majority of the people at the farm were dressed appropriately. Actually, more than I thought would be. But of course, you had your odd adult and child in shorts and tank top.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada