HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Man, y'all are poopers. I love this idea and the more enticing pedestrian link it provides between the two sides of the river. These are the creative ideas I want to see all around downtown.

Agreed on pedestrianizing it wll the way up to Penn, though.
Completely agree, this could be a massive success if done right. For how many bridges we have, its kind of crazy there isnt a dedicated pedestrian/bike bridge downtown, and this could look absolutely stunning once done.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:00 PM

Yes, a very interesting proposal for the pedestrian bridge. I just wonder if it would make more sense to incorporate this plan for the Rachel Carson Bridge so it complements the planned civic space for 8th and Penn that was proposed a few months ago.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
Yes, a very interesting proposal for the pedestrian bridge. I just wonder if it would make more sense to incorporate this plan for the Rachel Carson Bridge so it complements the planned civic space for 8th and Penn that was proposed a few months ago.

What is going on with Fort Duquesne Boulevard there? Do they just de-street it? Or is the block supposed to be going under the park?

Either way, yeah, it's much easier to pedestrianize a bridge with this configuration. I think if I were to choose I'd pick the Andy Warhol bridge though. The North Shore side of the Rachel Carson is just awful - a glorified highway onramp. At least the Andy Warhol Bridge leads into a normal set of city blocks.

The big issue which requires Fort Duquense Boulevard still exist is people entering from 376 trying to get to the North Shore. Without going on Fort Duquense you have to take 279 to Chestnut Street, then backtrack through Schweitzer Lock. It's actually kind of amazing there's not really a "North Shore exit" between Reeedsdale and Chestnut Street.

But - provided you kept the Roberto Clemente Bridge open to car traffic - I don't see a reason why you'd need to keep the blocks of Fort Duquesne between it and the Rachel Carson open to traffic. No parking garages on the 600 block, and the 700 block is all junk that could be redeveloped and/or made into a park. And the Rachel Carson can still be open for car traffic as a quick way for people leaving that part of the town (particularly the Convention Center).

So year, from a traffic perspective the one to turf cars from is the Andy Warhol Bridge. It's just that there's not much interesting happening on 7th Street and Sandusky Street compared to the next block over.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations