HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
There needs to be events every weekend downtown from Victoria Day to Thanksgiving Day, and beyond the pricey music festivals. We need Ottawans and tourists to expect that something is going on and get back into the habit of having a reason to go downtown for fun.
Agreed and they don't need to cost the city money. The streets of the byward market or Chinatown can be filled with paying vendors. As the national capital we have embassies here. Mexico had a Cinco de Mayo festival. Maybe all embassies don't want to pay to bring in dancers etc but we easily have 20 countries with large enough diasporas to fill William or a block or two of Somerset with Korean, Lebanese etc kiosks. Some could probably pull off 2 or 3 weekends. I'd love to see some actual night clubs return to Ottawa but let's start but focussing on our comparitive advantage.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 6:25 PM

Yes to all of this. Im certainly optimistic about this guy given that he's young, from Montreal and based on some of the things he's worked over there (let's face it, if there's one place in Canada that knows about nightlife & vibrancy, its Montreal).

As a lone wolf, and a budge of $100K or so for the year (outside of his salary), it will be tough to do anything extravagant. But if he finds the right partners and builds a team of young, motivated, professionals then anything is possible. Can't be worse than the status quo.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 6:31 PM

"I'm not going to come today and tell you I have a big plan on what to do with Ottawa," he said. "I want to listen and hear what people have to say, and then we'll work all together."--said our new Night Mayor

Actually, I wish that he did have a big plan today. I am not confident that listening to the same old Ottawa voices will inspire him to come up with a plan.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 6:50 PM
Mooderator

Does this mean that the Bell media weekenders will be out of a job?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
"I'm not going to come today and tell you I have a big plan on what to do with Ottawa," he said. "I want to listen and hear what people have to say, and then we'll work all together."--said our new Night Mayor

Actually, I wish that he did have a big plan today. I am not confident that listening to the same old Ottawa voices will inspire him to come up with a plan.
He needs to form committees, take the public pulse, hold meetings, refer matters to Council, etc, etc, etc. That's how Ottawa defines fun!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Does this mean that the Bell media weekenders will be out of a job?
Actually, I hope that they are. They did a poor job of conveying what was happening around the city.

The media would be the first place that the Night Commissioner should start, in my opinion. There are a lot more things happening in this city than most people even know about. The media should be constantly providing info about events - before they happen.

How much hype did anyone hear about Door Open (until the next day when pictures appeared in the media)? Or, how many of you heard about the big RIBFEST on Sparks - while you still had time to plan to go? (Spoiler: If you haven't already gone, you missed it this year.)

If you did hear about them, where did you get the information? Was it because you already know that it happens and looked up the info yourself?

Start by better publicising what already exists.

ASIDE: How many of you are planning to take in the free movies on Sparks Street? Or did you not know about those, either?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
Actually, I hope that they are. They did a poor job of conveying what was happening around the city.

The media would be the first place that the Night Commissioner should start, in my opinion. There are a lot more things happening in this city than most people even know about. The media should be constantly providing info about events - before they happen.

How much hype did anyone hear about Door Open (until the next day when pictures appeared in the media)? Or, how many of you heard about the big RIBFEST on Sparks - while you still had time to plan to go? (Spoiler: If you haven't already gone, you missed it this year.)

If you did hear about them, where did you get the information? Was it because you already know that it happens and looked up the info yourself?

Start by better publicising what already exists.

ASIDE: How many of you are planning to take in the free movies on Sparks Street? Or did you not know about those, either?
There are free movies on Sparks St.? I had no idea.

This is a good point. I have a few go-tos like apt613 for events, but their lists tend to be missing lots of events. It would be pretty easy for the media to up their game on this one.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
As a lone wolf, and a budge of $100K or so for the year (outside of his salary), it will be tough to do anything extravagant. But if he finds the right partners and builds a team of young, motivated, professionals then anything is possible. Can't be worse than the status quo.
Thinking about Guy Laflamme and how much he was able to accomplish with his Ottawa 2017 budget. Looks like he had at least $11 million to plan one year.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...eral-1.3638722

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post

"The media" are hollowed out and stretched thin.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 8:00 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Whatever happened to that food truck pilot project from 2017 ish? Finally had some trucks that that didn't just sell poutine and hot dogs. There was a BBQ spot on Bank st. in Old Ottawa South.

The lack of readily available street food here is discouraging. There was a great taco/mexican spot on Bank and Walkley for many years and it up and poofed last year. I think even that legendary hotdog cart at Bank and Laurier isn't there anymore.

Food trucks in general seem to have disappeared unless its in the parking lot of a Canadian Tire.

I remember some of the BIAs making a stink about that food truck program. Figures! Food is a cartel apparently.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
Whatever happened to that food truck pilot project from 2017 ish? Finally had some trucks that that didn't just sell poutine and hot dogs. There was a BBQ spot on Bank st. in Old Ottawa South.

The lack of readily available street food here is discouraging. There was a great taco/mexican spot on Bank and Walkley for many years and it up and poofed last year. I think even that legendary hotdog cart at Bank and Laurier isn't there anymore.

Food trucks in general seem to have disappeared unless its in the parking lot of a Canadian Tire.

I remember some of the BIAs making a stink about that food truck program. Figures! Food is a cartel apparently.
The one at Bank and Sunnyside was not paying the rent to the property owner, so in a way, he was evicted. The truck was replaced by another one, at least last year. I will check tomorrow evening, to see if he is back.

I went to the one at Bank and Walkley from time to time. It was too bad when it closed.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 6:46 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
The one at Bank and Sunnyside was not paying the rent to the property owner, so in a way, he was evicted. The truck was replaced by another one, at least last year. I will check tomorrow evening, to see if he is back.

I went to the one at Bank and Walkley from time to time. It was too bad when it closed.
The Bank and Walkey one had this amazing little soup. It took a while for them to make your food but rarely is that ever a bad thing.

I know at Scott and Stirling they had a few trucks in a parking lot with some good choices.

AUG 2023

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4064...5409&entry=ttu

I was planning on passing by there earlier this evening but I just ended up trekking all the way down Richmond and ended up running out of time. Hopefully they are back this season. Maybe even with a 3rd.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 12:19 PM

We also had Mexi-Go-Go a few times and it was delicious. When it disapeared I was kind of hoping that meant redevelopment of that corner lot was coming - nothing yet.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
We also had Mexi-Go-Go a few times and it was delicious. When it disapeared I was kind of hoping that meant redevelopment of that corner lot was coming - nothing yet.
Bank and Walkley was one of those old gas station sites going back at least to the 1950s. I expect this is a very contaminated site and nobody wants to spend the money for clean up.

The same applies to the Bank and Riverside sites. Two old gas stations, and building plans will likely work around them.

I also wonder about the Bank and Evans project and why it has not moved forward. It was also formerly a gas station.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 12:07 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa's new 'night mayor' — oops, don't call him that — has his work cut out
Bruce Deachman says that much about this week's appointment of a nightlife commissioner is odd, but Mathieu Grondin is qualified and just might make us more fun.

Bruce Deachman, Ottawa Citizen
Published Jun 13, 2024 • Last updated 3 hours ago • 4 minute read

The first peculiarity when Ottawa’s inaugural nightlife commissioner, Mathieu Grondin, was introduced this week was that the city’s announcement took place at 9:30 a.m. Wouldn’t it have been more symbolic to hold the event at 9:30 p.m. instead?

The second was what Grondin said — or rather didn’t say — about how he expects to implement the city’s Nightlife Economy Action Plan, a 10-action blueprint intended to give O-Town’s after-dark experience a shot in the arm. Basically, he offered quips about turning Ottawa into “the city fun is going to remember,” but little more.

“The first thing in my mandate is to implement the nightlife strategy action plan,” he declared. “I’m going to put my spices in the recipe at some point, but every city is different.”

Which brings us to the third curiosity: Grondin is from Montreal. That means his first step in implementing the plan, as he himself noted, will be to spend a few months hearing from various stakeholders in the city’s nightlife scene to learn what Ottawa’s particular challenges and opportunities are.

In other words, he’s going to hit the ground listening, not running.

A fourth thing is how Mayor Mark Sutcliffe insists the correct term is “night commissioner” and emphatically not “night mayor,” as though it might invoke a curse similar to speaking the name Voldemort. Does he not realize that night mayor is way more fun than commissioner of anything?

And then there was this fifth oddity: Grondin is reportedly not quite moving to Ottawa, telling a gathering of tourism and event stakeholders he’s chosen Gatineau as his new home. When I asked city officials about this, I received an emailed statement attributed to Cindy VanBuskirk, manager of High Economic Impact Programs, saying the city does not disclose personal information.

Fair enough; Grondin won’t have to change his driver’s licence or health card. But still.

Yet despite the peculiarities, there are positives. Having a fresh set of eyes on the city’s nightlife scene isn’t a bad thing, and Grondin is well-qualified. In 2017, he co-founded and until recently ran MTL 24/24, a not-for-profit dedicated to enhancing Montreal’s nightlife. In 2020, the organization established a Night Council so the city’s late-night denizens could share their thoughts and concerns. The following year, it launched MTL au Sommet de la nuit, an international forum dedicated to identifying best practices for managing urban night-time activities.

“He’s a veteran nightlife promoter and a great guy,” says longtime Montreal Gazette reporter Brendan Kelly, who has frequently written about MTL 24/24 and Grondin. “And he’s in it for all the right reasons.”

The bilingual Grondin has long been embedded in Montreal’s night-time and arts scenes, notably under his electronic deejaying moniker, Grondini. He might actually know a thing or two about fun.

Montreal’s loss, which it seems to have brought upon itself, might be our gain. In 2021, the city of Montreal gave MTL 24/24 $600,000 to help it come up with a nightlife policy that Mayor Valérie Plante had promised four years earlier (the province also provided MTL 24/24 a $700,000 subsidy). In January this year, the city announced it would no longer fund the organization, essentially kneecapping it. According to Kelly, the writing might have been on the wall: Plante herself attended MTL au Sommet de la nuit in 2021, but at last year’s summit no one from the city administration took part.

Looking at those funding numbers for Montreal, I wonder whether the annual Nightlife Commissioner Office budget of $160,000 approved by Ottawa Council, which includes Grondin’s salary of $112,000, will be adequate. In an earlier column, I wrote that the expenditure was small enough that it wouldn’t be a great loss if the position and idea didn’t pan out. Now I wonder whether it’s too small to give Grondin a chance.

For while Grondin so far won’t reveal any ideas he might have, and won’t do interviews yet, there’s a near-endless list of things to consider to boost Ottawa’s nightlife, including keeping parks open and operating public transit 24/7; making streets safe; making it easier to rent public facilities for parties; easing noise restrictions in certain instances or changing the requirement of having paid-duty officers attend street closures.

Additionally, a shift in development priorities should be considered. In some cities, developers of new condominium buildings, for example, include a stipulation in purchase agreements that residents cannot make noise complaints about nearby establishments that already exist. This prevents new residents in growing and lively neighbourhoods from killing the vibe at 11 p.m.

A thriving nightlife is a great economic driver for any city. It’s also vital to residents’ quality-of-life, just like sidewalks, schools, pools and parks. Finding a balance between the needs of the night owls and early birds is the delicate part, especially when most politicians making the decisions don’t go out late at night. Ensuring that our streets are safe is also fundamental, otherwise the night commissioner’s position would be in jeopardy.

We certainly don’t want government telling us how to have fun, but having someone inside city hall to help council navigate the benefits of a spirited nightlife can’t be bad. Grondin has been chosen, and I wish him the best. Maybe we’ll run into one another at a concert at Red Bird Live or at the rail of one of my favourite cocktail bars. I’ll buy the first round.

bdeachman@postmedia.com

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ut-out-opinion

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 1:08 PM

Wait, what?! I thought his salary was $112,000 and he had a $160,000 yearly budget to "make things happen".

If it's true that the $160,000 yearly budget from the city includes this guys' salary, we're doomed! What can you realistically do in a year with a budget of $48K? I would wager you could barely set-up a community BBQ ...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 5:45 PM

I think his role is more bureaucratic in nature. To observe, analyze, and make recommendations for policy adjustments. I think many people are falsely imagining him as a "Guy Laflamme Ottawa 2017" figure, who's going to go out and book shows/activations for the city, in which case his budget would be useless.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 5:41 AM

Quote:
The old chip truck was legendary, but let's just say there were a lot of issues over the years.

Last year's new guy kept only regular business hours, and so missed out on the all the potential customers coming out from House of Targ or the Mayfair. He was gone by winter.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
The old chip truck was legendary, but let's just say there were a lot of issues over the years.

Last year's new guy kept only regular business hours, and so missed out on the all the potential customers coming out from House of Targ or the Mayfair. He was gone by winter.
yep, confirmed that there is no truck on site this spring. They used to get a lot of business from pedestrians heading to and from Lansdowne events as well.

My neighbour was going to set up a food truck at the old Hillary Cleaners site last year but gave up when he couldn't arrange a repair to the truck in a reasonable timeframe.

Old Posted Today, 12:16 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

An action plan that could rescue and rebuild downtown Ottawa
We will not return to the monoculture economy in the city core. We must focus on making downtown a place where businesses and people choose to be — not where they must be for work.

Sueling Ching
Published Jun 06, 2024 • Last updated Jun 06, 2024 • 3 minute read

In her essay, "Downtown is for People", then-yet-to-be-famous urban expert Jane Jacobs highlighted the essential role of downtowns in the health and endurance of a city. More than 60 years later, Jacobs’s argument still rings true: downtowns are the heart and soul of our great cities.

This has never been more apparent than in the four years since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, as downtowns from Vancouver to Halifax fell quiet, offices emptied and small businesses closed. Ottawa, our nation’s capital, was no different.

Our city offers an impressive geography of vivid rural landscapes and dense business and residential districts. It stitches together natural and engineered waterways, where residents can walk along adjacent paths, boat, canoe and kayak. We benefit from national monuments, historic buildings, arts and cultural venues and museums. But Ottawa is not viable without a dynamic, safe and thriving downtown, where so many of these central assets reside.

Today, we face the formidable challenge of bringing life back to our city centre. How can we transform downtown Ottawa into a more diverse, resilient and vibrant area for the future? The answer: together.

The Ottawa Board of Trade embraced that challenge and, in collaboration with the Canadian Urban Institute, set out to create a community action plan to address the decline of our downtown. Along with our partners across the city, including the City of Ottawa, Ottawa Tourism, Invest Ottawa, BOMA Ottawa and the National Capital Commission, we unveiled “A Living Capital: Downtown Ottawa Action Agenda.”

The agenda embraces the vision of a holistic live-work-play environment. One that creates a culturally rich, inclusive and accessible downtown for all. One that boosts our local economy. And one that attracts artists, investors, innovators, leaders, talent and young people.

Our action agenda targets four big moves to realize that vision.

We propose adding 40,000 new residents; and creating 50,000 new jobs by 2034, which will convert the city centre into a bustling hub of activity, creativity and innovation. The agenda also aims to create a $500-million fund to generate a series of projects, enhance the public realms of Sparks Street and the ByWard Market; and to establish a new Business Incubation District and Arts/Culture Corridor.

To many, what we are proposing may seem like obvious solutions to our city’s problems. But turning our vision into a reality requires coordinated action, strong leadership and a clear vision. The agenda details real actions in a 60-step, multi-faceted implementation plan with targeted accountabilities, timelines and outcomes.

To create a downtown that is desirable, resilient, robust and inclusive, the plan advances five immediate actions that the city should promote. These include: prioritizing housing; investing in the future through financial mechanisms for ongoing downtown ventures; addressing homelessness, addiction and mental health; improving regional mobility through enhanced transit options; and positioning downtown nationally and internationally through marketing efforts.

Downtown Ottawa is the heartbeat of our whole region. What happens downtown has a direct and immediate impact on every business, every resident and every visitor. Our post-pandemic world is very different from what we have known and relied upon. We will not return to the monoculture economy in the city core. We must focus on making downtown a place where businesses and people choose to be — not where they must be for work. In truth, the pandemic has given us the opportunity to be more ambitious and courageous than we may ever have chosen.

We encourage all residents in our region to be hometown tourists, inviting family and friends to explore downtown. We call on all business and community leaders to leverage your international networks and our growing number of direct flights to bring more people to our region. We invite all creatives, entrepreneurs, innovators and out-of-the-box thinkers to consider our city core for their next big idea. This is an all-hands-on-deck situation. Now is the time.

Sueling Ching is President & CEO, Ottawa Board of Trade. To learn more about how you can support the Downtown Ottawa Action Agenda, visit: livingcapitalottawa.ca

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/ch...owntown-ottawa

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa