HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 5:14 AM

“I could be dreaming but imagine a mixed use tower with office space.

A fantastic suggestion with tower as the key word.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
“I could be dreaming but imagine a mixed use tower with office space.

A fantastic suggestion with tower as the key word.
A mixed use tower would be “the highest & best use” for that prominent CBD location. A combination of ground floor retail, some office, with the remainder hotel & condo/rental residential would be great. Wish we could get the developers that built One City Center in Durham interested. They’re starting on their second high rise in the Bull City….

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalo View Post
A mixed use tower would be “the highest & best use” for that prominent CBD location. A combination of ground floor retail, some office, with the remainder hotel & condo/rental residential would be great. Wish we could get the developers that built One City Center in Durham interested. They’re starting on their second high rise in the Bull City….
Keep dreaming, Winston-Salem will not have another tower in the next 25 years.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Oh dang! There go Possum!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 11:18 PM
WashingtonParker

Quote:
Welcome back, Possum! I thought we had lost you.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 4:46 PM

Hey Possum!
So glad to have your cheerful presence back with us!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 8:40 PM

Quote:
35 years!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 12:19 AM

Wow, great to have you here Possum!!! I missed you.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Winston-Salem's 11th annual Pride Parade and Festival will kick off at 10 a.m. Saturday in the Downtown Arts District.

The celebration is part of Pride Week, a series of events hosted by Pride Winston-Salem.

This year, the organization expects 45,000 attendees.
https://journalnow.com/news/local/pr...home-top-story

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Courtside Café has closed after a long run at 102 W. 3rd St. in the Liberty Plaza building downtown. But a new restaurant is moving into that spot right away.

Courtside Cafe has been serving affordable breakfast and lunch fare to lawyers and others downtown for many years. Its last day of business was June 21.

Thomas Strates had run the café since 2013. Before that, John Nikas, who currently owns Murphy’s Lunch nearby, had owned it for years.
https://journalnow.com/life-entertai...0a56f7471.html

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 3:46 AM
Fourth and Main

It would be possible and I'll explain how. It does require the City wanting a tall building and investing extra in a future parking deck. The City wants to build a new parking deck downtown. If the City acquires the former Hall of Justice site, to use an example, and builds a 6-7 storey parking deck with ground floor retail and expanded sidewalks, this could become the parking and also the foundation for a future apartment building. Construct the parking deck to add maybe 6-9 additional floors of apartments/condominiums. Talk with developers about constructing 6-9 floors of residential or office or hotel rooms above the parking deck. It could be a developer the City partners with to build the deck and they could continue with the upper floors? 6-storey parking decks happen in Winston-Salem and 6-storey apartment buildings happen in Winston-Salem; merge them and you have a 12-storey building. A developer recently constructed residential units above a parking deck here in Atlanta. I've also seen it in Detroit. It could result in a 12-15 storey building. The developer benefits from the City paying for the parking and the foundation work. This means the City would offer this deal to developers for free or $1, if legal documents require a financial transaction. The City would collect taxes on the apartments or whatever use the developer builds above the deck. I do think developers would take interest in it. It would be great if the developer, building those upper floors, would also partner with the City to build the deck as well. One developer building all of it, with the City paying for the deck that can support the extra floors, would result in a much better project in design and floor plans for those upper floors.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 11:41 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses or follow social pages sharing photographs and thank them.

Three new projects, including a new North American headquarters, and sadly one rare cancelled project. Lets get updated!

Someone contacted me to say... this will be the song of the summer (It's likely too early to say?):
Video Link

Mill 800 Apartments: Cancelled
It's rare for developers to ever announce anything is cancelled in this city. Usually, we suspect something is cancelled, but have to wait for a "For Sale" sign or the announcement of a new project / developer to officially know a project is cancelled. I've suspected this project was cancelled and now we have the "For Sale" sign to make it official. If you're interested in buying it, contact Baldwin Properties. This space was originally proposed as office space and then apartments, with a construction set, last year. It was the last phase of the multi-phase Mill 800 project. So, it does have completed apartments next to it.

The big "For Sale" sign that tells us this project is cancelled!

Credit: baldwinpropertiesinc

Credit: baldwinpropertiesinc

STADLER America (North American Headquarters):
STADLER America is preparing to construct a new building, at 3089 Centre Park Court in Winston-Salem, with roughly 11,000-square-feet of office space and roughly 11,500-square-feet of industrial space. The building will have another roughly 5,500-square-feet on a second floor. This is being called the German company's "American office," so it's expected to become their North American headquarters. They are moving from one of the neighboring metro areas in the state and this will be a sizable expansion over their existing space. Yes, Winston-Salem is attracting an expanding employer from one of its larger neighbors.

African-American History Museum:

Credit: Dale Briggs

Interstate 285:
Upgrading U.S. 52 to Interstate 285 will cost $1,025,600,000 and will widen the highway between Clemmonsville Road and Interstate 74.

1913 Lord & Burnham Conservatory Restoration:

Credit: barnatreynoldavillage

Salem College Sports:
Salem College plans to build three new beach volleyball courts, along with pathways and a wash station.

Bowman Gray Stadium Renovation:

The foundation/retaining wall design for the Bill Hayes statue:

Credit: WSSU

New Tenants/Leases:
Venny Juniaty, a part owner of Thai Harmony, is opening Ramen Mafia at 271 West Fourth Street. This location was Downtown Thai & Pho, before that restaurant closed.

Interstate 74:

Video Link

Event Center & Food Truck Park:
Charlotte-based developer, KB Holdings Development, has purchased the buildings at 1243 North Patterson Avenue for... you guessed it... an event center! And it becomes our event center of the week! It will also have a commissary kitchen for food trucks and the space next to it will become a food truck park for 17 food trucks, as well as vendors. It will also become a pick-up location for home delivery services. This is located on the far northern end of downtown.

1782 George Stockburger House Restoration:

Major progress on the siding (They are the owners restoring it):

Credit: Stockburger Farmhouse

Gateway Nature Preserve Observation Platform:
Gateway Nature Preserve is building a trail system in the Meadow area of the preserve. They have been working on preparing the site by clearing invasive plants, picking up garbage, and getting the site ready for construction. Their meadow trail system will continue their mission of connecting people to nature by providing an additional space where the community can enjoy flora and fauna up close. They are extremely excited to have new trails to host new educational and exploratory events for the community. If you're looking for a way to take part in this project, they are currently seeking donations to help pay for it. https://gatewaynaturepreserve.org/support/donate

Alternative Transportation:

Amtrak at Union Station:
The match for the Winston-Salem to Raleigh Amtrak route is 20% at only $85,328,800. That money would upgrade rail infrastructure on the K Line to support new intercity passenger service from Winston-Salem to the NC Line, which leads to Raleigh. The cost includes necessary infrastructure, stations, and passenger equipment to begin service with three roundtrips per day. They need the 80/20 federal grant to move the project forward.

Your City

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Welcome back Possum!!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 11:33 PM

Thanks again Matthew for the weekly updates. So, the German company moving to W-S - from what large neighbor are they moving?

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:31 PM

I’m a bit confused about the Bank of America move. The Arby’s location is objectively worse for them than the current location. I feel like it’s going to be a traffic nightmare, specifically with people turning left out of the BoA trying to get back onto Knollwood.

I'm glad that the Mill 800 expansion fell through. It’s wild that it’s taken so long as I feel like originally it was supposed to be done fairly quickly after the opening of Mill 800. However, Mill 800 is frankly a disgrace, has a litany of problems, and I’m sure that expansion would just be more of the same.

On the KB Holdings 1243 Patterson plans. Is this primarily b2b facing or is there a b2c component? Overall I think it’s a really good location for the commercial side of things for food trucks as it's a straight shot into downtown via Patterson and a block from 52. However the “food truck park for 17 food trucks and vendors” makes it sound like there’s some consumer-facing component although the rest doesn’t sound like it at all. If it is a mixed space, I’m really interested to see how they’d lay things out as it feels like more of a commercial location.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations