HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
What are you talking about? The lattice structure that's currently being exposed is quite substantial, as it muat to be to hold a curtain wall for a massive atrium.

Perhaps your under the impression that these members should be as substantial as load bearing structural beams and columns used to hold up dozens of occupied floors of live load. Not sure why any engineer would spec such a thing for an atrium structure that only needs to hold itself up.
Never hard to get a rise out of LVDW. LOL. It was a passing comment based on first appearances. I think most anyone would agree that the structure looks rather "flimsical" after the skirt came off. Hence,...not overengineered.

Edit: One wonders in fact if that will all have to be 'beefed' up for the new glazing which may have added weight. If memory serves, the big heat gain/loss issues were due to the government skimping on double paned glass in the original incarnation.

Google, if they keep their monopoly going, though that gets threatened as the days go on, should potentially, hopefully, be better stewards and be footing the bill for proper glazing.

Last edited by bhawk66; Sep 10, 2024 at 8:57 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
Never hard to get a rise out of LVDW. LOL. It was a passing comment based on first appearances. I think most anyone would agree that the structure looks rather "flimsical" after the skirt came off. Hence,...not overengineered.

Edit: One wonders in fact if that will all have to be 'beefed' up for the new glazing which may have added weight. If memory serves, the big heat gain/loss issues were due to the government skimping on double paned glass in the original incarnation.

Google, if they keep their monopoly going, though that gets threatened as the days go on, should potentially, hopefully, be better stewards and be footing the bill for proper glazing.
Just about all of the exposed red-painted steel members are part of larger trusses, or, arguably, a massive space frame... these structures can take an incredible amount of force with seemingly small 'toothpick' members (think of the space frame holding up the roof of the Lakeside Center at McCormick place)... I would be very surprised if they need to add any additional structure for the heavier glazing... typically the largest force to design for in a situation like this is wind...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 10:58 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Never thought it looked flimsy. I love the structure. I think it looks really cool. I think it's one of the best attributes of this building.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 9:34 PM

From Saturday. . .

. . .

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 1:42 AM
Chicago

September 9, 2024

September 10, 2024

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development