HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I get that, but this thing looks absolutely horrible. They could have at least tried a bit..... Put some Ivy on the outside of the building, creative painting on it.... Anything.

It looks horrendous as it is right now.
I believe they are slapping some artwork on it as we speak.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I believe they are slapping some artwork on it as we speak.
Good..... I mean, I like the idea of letting a bunch of Ivy sprawl up the sides of the building..... But will gladly take anything other than the ugly gray slate it is right now.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 12:04 AM
1st Ward

My main gripe with that warehouse is the somewhat blocked skyline views on the Kennedy. But that's a small price to pay for more tax dollars for the city I suppose.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
So - I was on the Kennedy the this weekend going back and forth to downtown, which is a rarity for me. I saw the finished warehouse at 1237 W. Division.

I can correctly state that is the most ugly thing I have seen built in the city in my lifetime. I understand it's a warehouse and you can't expect it too look amazing, but Jesus this thing looks bad. I was against something like this being put there when it was announced, and I am really sad to see it in person now.

What a tragic waste of space near the river.
I like the brutality of it. Not a fan of the spiral ramps but it's a menacing piece of steel and concrete.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 7:02 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Let's not act like this building is ruining a pristine riverfront paradise.... It's a new build warehouse surrounded by many existing warehouses, next to 4 train tracks and a huge elevated 8 lane highway.... in a planned manufacturing district (protected by law for such uses) and a bunch of car dealerships.
When I first read of the development and I thought it was ON the riverfront I had the same reaction as twister. Then I realized it was sandwiched between the Kennedy and UP tracks and the Elston and it makes all sorts of sense on that west side of Elston that this is exactly where the monolith big-box stores and logistics companies should be centered on the city's north side.

The only caveat I have is that we should all hope that the city designs the east side of Elston and all riverfrontage to the best design standards possible. Any buildings or structures that are so fugly or disruptive that they would dissuade future developers from placing housing nearby are my only real concern with such monstrosities.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
The only caveat I have is that we should all hope that the city designs the east side of Elston and all riverfrontage to the best design standards possible. Any buildings or structures that are so fugly or disruptive that they would dissuade future developers from placing housing nearby are my only real concern with such monstrosities.
Like a giant Audi/Mercedes service center with a huge surface lot?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 8:33 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
So I have a new construction masonry garage that is about 500 sq feet. If I were to add an ADU above I would have to figure out how to connect to the street sewer, water, and gas lines without busting through the house. I'd also need to figure out the zoning impacts of replacing the garage rooftop deck with an ADU, because I think the rooftop deck counts as required "rear yard" in some way. Not to mention the idea of having people living above 2 cars and how to deal with that in the construction of the ADU....
I would probably skip gas and just do electric appliances and heat pump since the power is already right there in the alley. Your electrician will set the meter box and ComEd does the rest. The electric bill is your tenant's problem, not yours, but if that's a concern you can beef up the insulation so the HVAC isn't working so hard.

Water and sewer upgrades are costly items for any ADU, but you're correct that coach houses have the added wrinkle of digging a 5ft trench (or two) through your backyard.

I wouldn't worry too much about living over a car. The city has thousands of townhouses where people are in that exact situation. Tons of suburban houses have it too. Fire rating and soundproofing are both pretty simple.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:10 PM

Welp, looks like we shouldn't count our chickens before they hatch

'Bungalow Belt' City Council members brace for battle over 'granny flat' expansion

Quote:
Bungalow Belt alderpersons are bracing for a political battle to prevent Mayor Brandon Johnson from giving single-family homeowners carte blanche to turn their attics, basements and garages into revenue-generating “granny flats.”
Lawson said he is not at all certain Johnson would have the votes to win what be might be viewed as his second challenge to a tradition of deferring to the local Council member, sometimes referred to as “aldermanic prerogative.”
https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-ha...s-city-council

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Welp, looks like we shouldn't count our chickens before they hatch
Of course not.

The Three Great Guarantees:

Death.

Taxes.

NIMBYs gonna NIMBY.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:23 PM

Don't remember seeing these renderings of 208 S. LaSalle converted as apartments before, via Axios:

Old Posted Today, 12:59 AM

That rooftop.......

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development